Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Went to a car show yesterday....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Problem was....
    97% of the cars there were all late model Mustangs...:(
    But I did take a few pics of this Mercury Marauder... You could see my reflection in the black paint job....:D:eek:

Attached Files:

2. Yes, mustangs dominate some "hot rod" shows here as well. I wish that some one could develop a "anti mustang spray" similar to an insecticide aerosole can.:D:eek: -H.R.D-

3. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

thats a smooth paint job.. and that always makes me mad when there all late model cars at a show :mad:

4. Jimv

Jimv

Car shows around here are 30% mustangs,30% cameros,30% "Fake" SS chevelles &10% new corvettes!lol
    JimV

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

When I go to shows where there are a lot of late-model cars, I make it a point to talk to the owners of those Mustang, Camaros and Challengers, etc, as well as the "tuners" who drive Hondas, Toyotas and Hyundais. Things I find in common with them is that they love cars, they love horsepower and speed, and most of them (not all) appreciate the old stuff too.

One reason I have heard many times for not owning a traditional hot rod is the cost. One can make payments on the late-model stuff but not so much on the old vehicles.

The owner of a local shop here, that specializes in modifiying late-model performance vehicles (and has been in and won competition in television shows), bought my '46 Ford pickup several years ago. He and his crew are doing a great job of building a "shop truck" for his business as they have time between customer cars.

I talked to him last week, and he is going to build a traditional hot rod next, maybe a T or an A, powered by an 8BA flathead with a banjo rear.

When I first met him a number of years ago, he was not that interested in the older stuff. Now he is. That's a win, in my book, especially since he keeps the '46 in the showroom of his business, so everyone who walks in walks by it.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

That Mercury is a sweet mama jama! I too, hate late model crap at car shows which is one of the reasons I quit going to most. Even some of the traditional shows have been allowing in some post '65 cars to boost profits. I can't blame them though.........

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Too funny

8. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

He might have missed that one...

9. C.G

C.G
    from AL.

I've got to say that I'm pretty much with arkiehotrods on this. While I don't understand all of the "new" cars at shows I'm a member of several car clubs including a Honda S2000 club. These guys love to go to the local cruise in's and I park my 46 Chevy 1/2 ton right in the middle of them. Over the years they have come to really appreciate rods and old cars in general. The whole darn bunch of them are excited about my new COE project and wanting to help out. When I first met these guys they didn't understand how I could be an enthusiast of more than one type of vehicle. Now these same Guys are crawling under rods and talking about how much they want to build their own. Don't count them out, even if they do like to show off showroom new cars, they are at least automotive enthusiast.

10. John Coffee

John Coffee
    from americo

Had a 63 Parklane Marauder back in the mid 70's. Screamin 390 in it. Bought it for $300 from an old guy that wanted an economy car.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

As soon as I saw the title and the poster I knew exactly where he went without even opening up the thread. :eek:

All the cool cars were on Woodward yesterday. :D

[​IMG]

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Marauder certainly not a belly button car. ever seen the TV show "Car Crazy"? there are car nuts that have a passion for all different types of rides. even within the "traditional" world some people can not accept any other car than say a '32 Ford. lucky that we are all different. even when it comes to the car racing world, some only accept NASCAR and nothing else. do what is best for you but, don't put down others for seeing things differently.

13. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

That car belongs to Nick Zakarian, works at a Ford dealership around there somewhere. Usually see him once or twice a year. I first saw this car at an all Merc gathering in Indianapolis back in '02 or '03 before Nick bought it. Always been a nice car!

14. Ugh... I really do HATE those late model mustangs. Late model muscle cars are dominating car sows in my area....

15. I think that those of us who are really "car guys" and "car gals" really appreciate the fact that there are younger people comming out to these shows with those Mustangs and Camaros, and other late model cars. Anyone who shows an appreciation for modified cars is alright in my book. I remember when I was 12 years old and my dads favorite car at Chicago Rod&Custom Show was a 54 Merc, I realize that was a different time, but that car was only 6 years old at the time, That would be an 07 Mustang today. I was at a small show at our local drive-in theater on Saturday, I was in a class that was 1908 to 1940 modified, only 9 cars in that class out of 127 registered, and you know what, we all had a great time. I got a trophy and on my way back to my car I gave it to a kid who came in on his bike, and I had noticed him looking at all the cars during the day. Is he our future ? I think so. I only hope I'm still alive to see him get a trophy for his "Hot Rod"some day, no matter what it is. That's what it's all about.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  16. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love my '07 GT; I also love my '58 Biscayne. To quote the little girl in the El Paso commercial,

"?Porque no los dos?"

17. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

" LOL " I guess he missed that or choose to be a D&^%$#

18. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

19. Deuces

Deuces

It wasn't all that bad..... I did get to gaze at all the beautiful ladies walkin' around.... Some smiled..:D:D And some were stuck up!..:rolleyes:

20. Deuces

Deuces

Allot more vintage muscle from the early to mid '60's like there was last year...:(:rolleyes:

21. slammed

slammed

That one Sharp Ford spanks any of those 'pro's/nose's pick carz at the national e-vents Deuce!

22. Deuces

Deuces

No.... I didn't miss it.. There's always some "older" stuff there also... Not so much this year... Sad!..:(

23. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I know Denise... I'll be going to that shindig Thurs through Sunday...

24. Deuces

Deuces

I don't put them down... I myself own 2 ponies... I'm thinkin' about sellin' them...

25. Deuces

Deuces

I might have a couple more of it... I just gotta look...

26. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And somewhere on a Mustang forum they are complaining about the guy that brought a Mercury Marauder to the Mustang show.

I can't complain about Mustangs. I owned a lot of them over the years and made a lot of money off of them. Enough to pay off my house mortgage 20 years early which gave me the money and freedom to now build hot rods and customs!

27. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Late models and lawn chairs. The bane of the HAMB.

28. Mo rust

Mo rust

I used to feel the same way about Mustang owners and Mopar owners until I had the misfortune of being stuck at a tables at a few business events with guys who's only interest in life is playing golf.

29. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

See, there's always something worse.