Register now to get rid of these ads!

392 Hemi Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nolan.martin, Aug 4, 2013.

1. nolan.martin

nolan.martin
    from Louisiana

HAMB,

I'm looking at purchasing a 392 Hemi block. It has been froze up and the outside water jacket is cracked. I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about fixing engines, but I do know about starting projects that I have to spend twice the money fixing rather than just buying a good one up front.

Is a cracked water jacket a huge deal that will impact the life of the engine? Recommendations for fixing it?

Thanks for all of the help.

Nolan

2. George

George

If it's cracked there it may be elsewhere also. If only there you may be able to have it welded up, but the price would have to be really cheap to take the risk. It'd have to be completely dissasembled for an all over inspection.

3. Depends on how much $ it is first ,
    and if the rotating assembly is stuck.

If its cracked and stuck I wouldn't pay but a tad more than scrap $ for the short block.
    Maybe you get lucky and get some salvageable pieces out of it namely a 392 crank.

If the internals are good, you can either swap them into a block that's not cracked but the bores need to match or be machined to do so. Or fix the crack.

It depends and would have to be cheap enough.

4. nolan.martin

nolan.martin
    from Louisiana

Thanks for the help and advice. The crack is at the bottom of the water jacket, near the crankshaft webbing. It comes with a crankshaft that has been magnafluxed and also has a crack in it... to what extent I don't know. Price for it is $450. Worth the risk?

Thanks for everyones help.

Nolan

5. Harry P Hunter

Harry P Hunter
    from Tn.

Would you buy a cracked windshield?

You pretty much answered your own question in your first post. If you look around more you can find these.

Harry

6. nolan.martin

nolan.martin
    from Louisiana

Harry,

Thanks for putting it in perspective.

Nolan

7. A crack in the block, say, between the freeze plug holes, you might fix.
    A crack in the crank makes it trash. Look for another 92. Or, a 354. Will look the same, and in the long run probably cost a tad less.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm with Mike on this. Cracked crank is trash. Cracked block at the bottom near the main bearing saddles, I wouldn't.

9. nolan.martin

nolan.martin
    from Louisiana

thanks for the advice.

10. mickeyc

mickeyc

If you really want a 392, check the Hot Hemi Heads swap meet column.
    There are scores of various Hemis listed there.

11. snaptwo

snaptwo

theres a nice 331 for sale in the classifieds , it's in Bend ,OR , fresh motor .

12. purp47

purp47

13. 73RR

73RR

Hell, I'll buy it!!

Being that you are in WA state then I will assume the crack is freeze damage. So, how long is it? only one or a spider web deal?
    Any competent machine shop can fix a water jacket crack with Lock-n-Stitch. And, all depending on the severity of the crack, you may be able to drill the ends of the crack and just run a a can of Bars Stop Leak... I have had old-time blocks come through the shop where leaks had been plugged with lead, obviously done by an equally old and very talented body-fender guy.

Back to the crank. What, exactly does the mag show the crack to be?
    Unless the crank was in a top-fuel car then a crack is very rare in a 392 crank so is it actually a crack or something else that looked suspicious?

If you have a good machinist to work with then both pieces deserve a second look. Remember, a 392 block, even with a freeze crack repair, is worth a lot more than the asking price.

If you pass on the purchase I'd appreciate the lead...and if you have your heart set on a clean block I'll take this in trade...

Gary

14. wood337

wood337

The block in question is mine. Thank you all, for your input. Nolan is a great young man who is currently serving our country. I don't want him to get a pile of junk either.

Some info:
    - I've had the block looked at by three different, performance machine shops. None of them felt the cracks would effect a "hot rod" build (of course a big NO for nitro, etc.) Two of the machinists have lots of hemi experience.

- Currently the block is at the engine-welder, getting repaired. The engine welder is an old hemi guy (you have to walk around the injected hemi dragster in his shop to get to the bathroom). He said no problem for street use.

- Last weekend I went to the nostalgia drags and talked with the old timers...they said that they'd look at it even for racing purposes.

So there you have it. I only want about $400 for it...maybe more after I get the welder's bill.

I've got a complete 331 (tin & all) as well. Maybe that would be better for Nolan's build.

The reason I'm selling it?.....just downsizing, have two other 392's and don't need this one.

I have a 392 crank that I know is cracked, not just surface spider-webs (it doesn't ring very good). I told Nolan he could just have the crank for free. It would probably run for years idling around town in a little hotrod.

Anyway, thanks for your input and for helping Ryan.

15. George

George

Would depend on witch 331....

16. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Not often that you get both sides. I would wait until after the welding is done but seller sounds like a honest standup guy. If I were in the market for a HEMI I would consider yours and thanks for posting.

As for the racers alot of those fill the blocks anyway and this would be a great candidate.