Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Where were you in '62???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, Mar 21, 2009.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

First year of high school, chasing girls, pedaling newspapers, saving my $$$ and day dreaming on getting my first car. John

2. Bounder

Bounder

Finding out I wasn't college material, like my senior english teacher told me. Ended up being a pretty good machinist, at least made a good living at it. Drove a wore out 54 ford.

3. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

Was a Jr. at Bonita H.S. in LaVerne, CA. Driving my Dads 54 Ford 4 dr. Working for my grandfather at the chicken ranch and on the weekends working at Pomona Drags, going to San Gabe every Sat night

4. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Active duty on USN heavy cruiser. Left my 57 Chev. sitting in the driveway, pressure by parents to sell it so I rented a garage to store it. Gas was expensive compared to wages (gas .23 cents for Ethyl during gas wars but wages were $1.50 minimum wage). You could find a quarter on the ground and buy a gallon but today it is hard to find $4.00 to buy a gallon. When home I could cruise Hollywood Bl., the Sunset Strip and do a couple street races for $5.00 in the tank, not now.

5. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

What ship? Last two all-gun were Des Moines and Salem. Northampton was a missile conversion.

I was aboard the Galveston (CLG-3).

6. Jeff J

Jeff J

Putting tacks on my teacher chair!! She was mean woman ! Me I was 8 years old !!!

7. Muttley

Muttley

'62? I missed all the good stuff, I still wasnt born for another eleven years.

8. Kramer

Kramer

I was six and doing things that apparently could get you killed, or arrested today, like riding in cars without seat belts, running around town unsupervised, playing cowboys and Indians. I'm sure I would have taken my sixshooter to school. :) Grew up in a small town (not so small now) in central Oregon (Bend), without a care or worry in the world.

9. BSL409

BSL409

Just born oct of 62

10. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

my dad wasn't even born till 66

11. donbatey

donbatey

Like jc62, busy getting born!

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Junior in high school

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Summer would have been between Fresman and Sophmore...Me and a bud used to pedal our bicycles down to Mc Donalds on the turnpike to see what we could see..

14. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Junior in High school in Auburn WA and driving a 1949 Ford Business Coupe. Working as a carpenter apprentice after school and weekends. Street Racing, cursin local drive ins and drinkin beer when we could get. Chased a lot of pussy, but weren't able to catch much of it. Lived in Auburn and crusied the A&W, Cubby's and for a real treat went to Keno's or the Renton loop. Favorite hang out for car stuff was Doug's Racing Stable on Rivergrade Road in Puyallup.

15. ken05k

ken05k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Jasper, AR

Senior in high school and driving a 53 chevy two door sedan. It was a great car and like so many, wish I still had it. ken

16. SUSQ

SUSQ

Kindergarten . . . .

17. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I was this many years old.

[​IMG]

18. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

^ I was half his age...

19. chromeazone

chromeazone

In Uncle Sam's Canoe Club on my first Westpac cruise. (Tin Can Sailor) Tearing it up at 18 years old in Olongapo, Pillipeenes, (San Miguel Beer) Hong Kong, (Helen's Apartments, Wanchai District) , Japan (eating monkey-on-a-stick, or was that Olongapo?), Kao Shiung,Taiwan (Akadama Wine). Saving my money for my first car when I get back to Long Beach. Brought a '51 Ford with a SCOT blown Merc Flattie with two deuces. Hurst mystery shifter, Smitties,etc.
    I knew I was all grown up ,then!

20. yblock292

yblock292

11 years old, my dad had just retired from the army as an army test pilot at ft. rucker alabama, moved to wichita, been in the area ever since. Rode in my first hot rod at ft. rucker, rode my bike to the "hobby Shop" every saturday morning where the GI's were working on their hot rods, one day one of the guys asked if i wanted to go for a ride, it was a roadster, but thats all i remember. Got home that day told my dad all about it, man was he pissed " don't you ever ride in one of those things again!" Here 51 years later still doing it, he just didn't tell me when i had to quit!

21. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

Ever wonder what became of Olongapo after the US military left and the dollars went away?

22. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

canyon creek Yukon waiting for Russians to come down Alaska hiway. Cuban missile crisis was talk of the camp.dad ran dewline repeater

23. Senior year, class of '62. Car was a '50 shoebox.

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Freshman in HS, Waukegan, IL. I didn't have a clue... zits, skinny, could have been better looking (then and now). I had a crush on EVERY cheerleader our school's teams ever had. Loved hot rods, music, oval racing, drag racing, sports cars and airplanes. Just about anything that went fast. Probably wanted to be Ricky Nelson, or Chuck Yeager, or Mario Andretti, or... Gary

25. chromeazone

chromeazone

"Ever wonder what became of Olongapo after the US military left and the dollars went away?"

Hey, ttpete: I bet they really dug in, and are still waiting for Gen. Doug MacArthur to return. I don't doubt all the Clubs and girls are still there (with white hair of course).
    "You buy me drink, sailor?" "No?" "Why you so stingy, skinny four eye boysan?"
    "Cause I'm gonna buy me a Mercury and cruise it up and down Ocean Blvd., or Bellflower, or wherever !"

26. Swimming

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I was 14 and driving a motorized (lawnmower engine) sidewalk cruizer. Made all from scrap lumber and about 7 feet long, it slightly looked like an Indy type racer complete with long opening hood (for tools) and a junkyard steering wheel.
    Engine ran wide open and used a vbelt and a large piece of wood to engage and lock it into place. It took off fast and ran great. Only one problem, no brakes! I did a lot of repairs to the front end!

28. Hey yblock292, I was at Ft Rucker in '64 on uncle Sam's dime. Never seen any rods running around though. Just rotary wings. Grew up in Lyons Kansas. Small world.

29. yblock292

yblock292

No kidding it is a small world, remember my dad drove a TR-3, may have been a 2 and his buddy had a MGTD, weekend they would go road racing out in the sticks, would go with them sometimes was a blast!

30. Yamagrant

Yamagrant

Born in '61. I was drooling and filling my diapers. In a few years I'll be doing the same.