Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds or Ponitac Rear End? ID Help Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskooljc, Aug 11, 2013.

1. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

I have a 29 RPU I just purchased. It has ether a Olds or Pontiac rear end I need help to ID so that I can order some brake parts. Also Is there a year or model like wagon maybe that has larger brakes. Planing on only running rear brakes with 12 spokes on the front. Here are a few pictures I can get more if needed. Thanks for the help in advance Jim

Attached Files:

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Center section or the drop out is 59-64. Could be a 57 housing. Never the less, 57-64 is the years of application.

3. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Jim,
    The rearends are the same olds/pontiac.What you need to check is the size of your brake drum.You need to measure the the drum both ways diameter and width. ( should be something like 11 x 2 or 11 x 2 1/2 )

4. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

Was there an car made those years that came with larger brakes. When we were drag racing we had a mopar 8 3/4 we used a station wagion or Higway Patrol rear brakes 12" X 3" shoes. jim

5. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

So Jim, the photo shows a street plate. Am I to understand that you plan to run the beast on the street with no front brakes?

6. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

Yes I think I can. As my friend says if your scared don't ride with me. Any ideas on what the large brakes came on.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. Deuces

Deuces

I brake for kids and furry little forest creatures.... Hate to be the one in front of you..:eek:

8. Dyna88Kid

Dyna88Kid

Or behind him for that matter!

GO OLDS '60!!!

the most comfortable ride you ever tried!

9. The brake Bias front to rear in most automotive applications is generally around 60-40 or even 70-30 .... For a VERY good reason .

10. Ruiner

Ruiner

To my knowledge Pontiac/Olds rearends had only one brake drum size for many years...and drums are near impossible and very expensive to find, so don't ruin yours removing them...also, run front brakes on the street before you run someone over, there's a good reason so many people are against it...

11. 40mel

40mel
    from SoCal

You can still get a lot of parts for these rear ends. Brad at Fabcraft in Texas 800-208-8242 is a great contact for parts. You can also buy disc brakes for these rear ends from several sources, Mark Williams being one. Depends on your budget. I would also put my 2 cents in, you really need front brakes. Good Luck.

12. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

Yes, Yes, everyone says you need front brakes...but.........remember you have a light weight vehicle. It is not a two ton street boat like a big family sedan. Therefore, I have ran a street roadster (light in weight) with only rear brakes with no problems. Just make sure you have a very good set of rear brakes that function properly. How many of you have ran rear only? If you never have...how can you tell him not to do it and it will not work?
    Just asking!

13. 33willysgasr

33willysgasr

I'll agree with the disc brake suggestion. Jegs has I think 3 different companies that offer them for the olds/Pontiac rears for a little over $500. Should stop that little pick-up on a dime!

14. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

OK lets talk about the rear brake only thing. I have two 1929 RPU 's The one you are looking at is going to be built as a street roadster drag car The other one will be its tow car. The 409 car will have very little street use not a Daily driver. I had a 1957 chevy drag car started out as a 11.90 sec car when built ran the dodge 8 3/4 for years rear brakes only. As we did more and more work 11.50-10.90. Nows when it gets tricky oh did I say it had a Dodge 440. We added stage 111 ported heads injected alcohol and a bigger cam. Instant 10.00s at 136 mph. Now I cant stop. One of are racing friends a little older works at the Chrysler dealer . Oh just get some highway patrol or station wagon brakes. Every thing installed we head to the track every thing is cool in time trials. Breaks work great just like power brakes were installed. Now first round of emulations I was ruining against a front engine dragster with a dial you own handy cap. I am going threw the lights and I look back he's coming but he is not going to catch me I hit the brakes hard to make sure I don't break out all of a sudden my motor gets quite I think what the hell. But I start sliding sideways at 136 or there bouts so I let off the brakes that shoots me off the track I am sliding sideways along side the track as the dragster gos past me I get slowed down to maybe 60 and I feel the right slick tuck under and the wheel hits the ground ho shit I whip it to the right with out hitting the brakes straightens out and I get her stopped. Just want to let you know this is not my first rodeo I understand rear brakes only. The Olds an Pontiac's were just a little before my time they were all using dana 60 s and 8 3/4s were the big deal then. Thanks guys if you know any one knowledgeable or has some parts let me know. jim

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

The pictures you show are of the center section that fits 57 to 64 you need to check your drums and or backing plates. You can order all the brake stuff for a 59 to 64 Pontiac try it and see what works, I only run Pont./Olds stuff and there are differences in the backing plates , shoe width and drums. More info is needed but the parts are available.

Pat

16. F&J

F&J

If you still wonder if the wagon or police/taxi had bigger brakes, a dealer issued parts book would tell. I only have up to 58 for books

very cool old race car, if that is what it was.

17. aojo

aojo

I checked my 56 shop manual and there was no reference to a big brake option..

18. It appears to be 3rd gen, 59-64. But, if you want to know if it's a Pontiac or Olds, you'll need to get the casting number off of the center section. The date code will also verify the gen. Facing the pinion snout, they shud be at approximately the nine o'clock position, either out on the center section flange or in closer to the snout. Numeric casting number and alpha-numeric date code. If it is 3rd gen, your rear brakes are #228's, 11x2, either Olds or Poncho. According to my '63 Pontiac service manual, the big brake option for Police, Ambulance, etc., consisted of a bigger brake drum (finned) with standard brake internals. This drum also required the use of 15" rims instead of the standard 14" rims.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you see a car pulling to the right, and waving you by, that's me. I don't want you behind me.