Register now to get rid of these ads!

Macs Auto Parts shipping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joe--h, Aug 12, 2013.

1. joe--h

joe--h
    from New Mexico

My buddy in Sweden bought a bunch of miscellanesous small bits from Macsautoparts.com.

They shipped it UPS ground, total weight is maybe 4 pounds. Shipping charge $46.

When I questioned it, this is their response

Good afternoon, I looked into this for you and it actually looks like we shipped out your backorder item today and shipping to New Mexico usually takes around 5 business days since we are in New York. Your shipping was $45.99 because the total of your parts was over $300 and since our shipping costs are based on the cost of the order it goes by price ranges. $45.99 is the most you will ever pay for shipping within the USA unless you have backorder items on your order. If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know. Thank you, Kelsey G Customer Service Representative [email protected] 1-800-777-0948

Ripped off & pissed off, Joe H

Attached Files:

2. Yup, total ripoff. Try C&G Ford parts in CA....excellent service, fair shipping.

3. 2racer

2racer

I bought from them one time 2 years ago and got hosed on the shipping, never again.

4. RPM

RPM

Seems like a great price to me. That is international shipping! I just today sent a set of Hemi motor mounts to Canada and my cost to ship them was $46.00.

Go to UPS.com and plug in the info. To ship a 1lb package on UPS to my same zip code is $17.00

I think they gave him a good price and no need to be pissed off at all.

5. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Confused. Was it shipped to New Mexico or Sweden??:confused:

clem likes this.
  6. no he had it shipped to new mexico.

7. Thats the very reason I don't buy from them anymore. Most of the stuff I want is small and their shipping always seems to exceed the price of the item. They are noted for sky high shipping. I now like to use MidWest Early Ford store. They will ship the small items by USPS which is significantly cheaper.

8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

shipping and handling,you pay for them to box and shuffle.

9. joe--h

joe--h
    from New Mexico

10. Yes!!! Midwest early Ford in Ohio.....DITTO

11. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

We ship parts globally, and that is harsh.

4 lbs shipped from new York to new Mexico is $16-22 dollars.

Unless this was dimensionally large, this is a rip off.

Priority mail would have been $13-$18.

12. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

It seems they are using the shipping department for a profit center. Most companies subsidize the shipping to get the business and keep happy customers.

13. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Was anyone aware that Ekler's Corvette in Florida now owns Mac's Auto Parts?

14. Not quite. It's a flat 18% over $300 if you live in the USA, but outside of the lower 48. I ordered a few things from them a couple of weeks ago and, after choking on the shipping quote they gave, dropped a couple of items just to get the order under that magic mark.

15. No surprise here. Macs has been discussed here many times and it is always bad. I never use them anymore. I use Joe's in MASS.

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

http://macsautoparts.com/Shipping-Information/a/5/

Their shipping charges are right on their website, for anyone to see. They charged what they said they would charge on their website. Should be no surprises there.

When I buy anything, whether from a vendor like Macs, or a seller on eBay, or wherever, I always total the item cost plus the shipping and handling to see what my total cost is for the item(s). If the total sounds good to me, I order. If it doesn't seem like a good price total for item plus shipping, I look elsewhere.

17. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Not only does Mac's over-charge, but seems to take them well over a week to ship a simple order..

Amen to that! Joe's is awsome to deal with

18. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wont use them anymore either and they are practically next door. I live about an hours drive away and figured I would save the shipping and go pick up my order. I had some 40 brakes shoes i needed to replace so i ran the cores over there for exchange. When i got there I noticed i forgot to take one of the brake levers off. The guy at the counter refused to take the lever off for me saying they had no tools on site. I had the choice of finding some other local shop to remove it or take my shit and go back home. I took my shit and left. Jackholes.

19. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

I had heard that. I wonder if they are moving (or have moved) operations to Florida. When Ekler's bought Dearborn Classics they moved the whole operation from Oregon.

20. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! A while back I ordered some hinge pins for my '48 Ford truck, when they showed up one of the four was mangled beyond belief, the part still sealed in the plastic bag so the damage had to have been done during manufacturing. When I called to find out the procedure for getting a replacment part I was told I would have to pay for shipping both ways (for a defective part they sold me), also keep in mind Mac's has a minimum shipping cost which at the time was around seven dollars, all for a part that cost less than a dollar. Last time I ordered anything from Mac's.

21. I've never shipped from Macs but i have gotten some parts from Snyders and a box about the size of two shoe boxes together was $76 to post from them to me in Australia. Was total bullshit, considering I sent two Guide headlights in a box that was almost 2ft square for $40..

I think its horse shit that Snyders don't tell you the shipping cost at all before you order. You just get a receipt with a huge shipping cost on it extra. Their parts are good, but i found customer service and shipping were both shithouse.

22. cryobug

cryobug

I ask some Ekler employees if they were planning on moving Mac's here and they said no. Eklers has a large new building in the works so who knows if they were truthful to my question.

23. greybeard360

greybeard360

I have ordered quite a few items from Macs..... learned a long time ago from a different vendor, don't let them place anything on B/O for this reason. You end up getting double dipped on freight. Another one to watch is Rock Auto. It isn't that they rip you off price wise, but the way orders come from different warehouses, some times you can choose another brand of something and get one that may cost a little more, but come from the same warehouse as other items in your order. Had this happen n a $10.00 universal overflow reservoir. It kept trying to add 9 bucks freight to it. I changed a couple of other items in the order and actually lowered the freight on those !!!

24. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Speedway is the same thing, I ordered a couple of fittings and they sent them in this huge box, they always use the same the same box no matter what you buy. I guess it's idiot proof that way. Speedway at least ships things asap, Mac's does not.

25. Basing shipping charges on the price is wrong . . just wrong. And why not use the Post Office? Usually the lowest rates in town for small to medium packages.

26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C&G in Escondido or All Ford in the Bay area--quik ship and fair prices

Also C&G and AllFord have the right/good parts. You must be very careful when ordering repo pts as some fit well and some go in the garbage, I have learned the hard way and now know which brand of pt for each specific need on 40 Fords. Some of each major repo manufacturer pts fit well and some don't--I have a list of what works and what not to buy.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  27. I'm sorry to report Ecklers has been doing the same thing for years... and if something was backordered, well....hang on to your shorts

28. Christom

Christom

Living in here in New Zealand - I can tell you about expensive shipping! I didn't think Macs were too bad until more recently. It seems it's all going up in price probably due to jet fuel prices. Speedway however - I got TOTALLY ripped off and haven't bought from them since - their loss as I still needed a lot of parts for my build. Still the worst of all is Impala Bobs in AZ. They use Fed-Ex - say no more. $250.00 shipping for a $40.00 parts order - all small bits too!
    I do get good service and shipping out of both C&G and Sacramento Vintage Ford. From Cali to NZ in 4-5 days!

29. I'm glad I read this thread. I was thinking about ordering my floor pans from Mac's. I think ill be shopping around a bit. Has anyone bought parts from Dennis Carpenter before, and if so how were they in regards to the shipping charges?

30. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I just ordered a T coupe roof cover kit from Macs as you can see below.
    I figure the shipping price of $17.99 to CO was actually pretty good for what size I expect the packaging to be.

Hey, they are all doing it and getting away with it if they can.
    I got a Speedway steering column a ways back and man was it a huge box full of those plastic inflated air bags which much more space than the column did.

Part # Description Unit Price Qty Line Total​
    RCK131 Model T Ford Closed Car
    Top Roof Kit - Coupe
    $95.95 1 $95.95​
    Vehicle Information:
    Item Total: $95.95
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping (info): $17.99​
    ORDER TOTAL: $113.94

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013