Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vermont non-resident registration questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clockfixer, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Clockfixer

Clockfixer

As a Masshole, I know this state's titling procedures are ridiculous for antique cars. I read on here about non-resident registrations in VT, but I'd like to know what people have done about the tax issue.

You see, I bought a 1924 Model TT One ton truck for short money with only a bill of sale. I have the registration form ready to be mailed in, but I called the VT DMV to see what the tax would be and the quote they gave me was for full book value ($8400.00). That means I'd have to pay over $500.00 in tax for a vehicle I bought for $1400.00!!

Now, the way around it is to fill out a Vermont dealer appraisal form. My problem is, who can fill it out and has anyone ever filed this form? I'm 2 1/2 hours away from Brattleboro, so I'm trying to find what dealers can actually appraise a TT. Any ideas?

2. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

The VT DMV apllies tax based on the NADA value. Too many people were low balling their bill of sale to avoid tax. Have you looked at the appraisal form? I'm assuming they require the appraisal be done by a VT dealer?

3. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

If you can get a VT. registration for $500, go for it.
    Then you can apply for a MA. title and the sales tax will already have been paid.

Even if you have to repay the sales tax in MA., $500 is cheap for a good title!

4. Got any friends in NH ? If all you're looking for is an out of state registration so you can get a Mass title issued then NH is the way to go. $10 bucks for a 20 day "temp" plate, no sales tax. You will also need a licensed dealer or state inspection station in NH to sign a VIN verification form in order to get the NH registration though. Easy as hell when I lived there since I have a NH inspection license, not so easy now that I'm in Tennessee.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

5. Clockfixer

Clockfixer

Vermont wants a Vermont dealer to fill out the form, but what dealer is going to be able to value a 1920's truck? I tried online searching classic car dealers up there to no avail as of yet. I wouldn't mind paying tax, but full value's a bit ridiculous. By the by, it hasn't run in six years, but with a new battery, a carb cleaning and a replaced tank, in less than four hours I had it speeding through the yard last night! It runs very well and doesn't smoke. What a deal!

6. pitman

pitman

Eay, in da Francoise way, we say Massa-swaw, preferred, ovah da guy from Reveah!
    Maybe an olde time auto appraiser?

7. CruZer

CruZer

Mass. does the same thing. A buddy of mine has just bought a rod out of NY and the NY dealer gave him a form he filled out for a "gift" . The Mass. registry accepted this and charged my friend $25 for the sales tax portion of his reg.

I guess you could get this form on line or get it at a registry office ???

8. Clockfixer

Clockfixer

I went on Craigslist and emailed several dealers who had old cars to see if any might be willing to help out. Keep your fingers crossed!! A bientot!

9. Clockfixer

Clockfixer

Cruzer: the form is easily available online, but a dealer has to sign off on the assessed value and enter his VT dealer ID to validate it. I heard a shotgun sound this morning and later found one old tire blew up and out the sidewall. Guess I'll need a new tire or two!!