Register now to get rid of these ads!

'54 Capri- My new project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kein, Aug 8, 2013.

1. kein

kein

Hello All- My new HAMB friendly project arrived and although I am not home to rip her apart and enjoy it just yet I thought I would share. I bought this '54 Capri from another Hamber and I thank him greatly.

Pretty original and in very good condition as you may see in the pix. I was looking for a solid project car and I am very happy to say I found it. Very solid body as it comes from Cali via Ohio. Many plans for her but right now it will be at my buddy's shop until I get back from overseas.

Attached Files:

2. dan31

dan31

looks like a solid start,what are your plans?

3. kein

kein

I want to keep it primarily stock b/c I always thought the bodies on these things are plenty custom already. I have been looking at other '54s that have been lowered a bit and I am starting to like the look but not to drastic. For now the body will stay in the original paint but I plan on having the interior brought back to the original look as that looks pretty custom right out of the factory as well. Thinking dual exhaust right off the bat but not sure what to use for mufflers, maybe Smittys? Never used them before but have heard plenty about them. The eventually I want to beef the motor up but I am still doing research on the 317. Not sure how I can do it but I have read there are some cam set ups available as well as intakes/carb set ups as well.

4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I like it,but i'm biased. The only thing wrong with Lincolns is getting parts! Hardly any ford stuff fits. Good luck Jack

5. dan31

dan31

check out the "definitive mild custom photo thread" for some good ideas. there are a lot of cars on that thread in the style you are going for:D

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - Congrats

7. Saw it on the trailer at my house when Bill was picking up something to transport for me. Looked real solid and a great start, congrats.

8. gatz

gatz

that's a very nice car to start with...

wish I could find one like it.

good luck with it and keep us posted.

gatz

9. The Lincoln got alot of looks on the trailer during the transport. It is very clean & a great one to start with. Good to meet your son, Kevin. Sorry I didn't get to meet you.
    Hope you enjoy the resto.
    Bill

10. j harvey

j harvey
    from pa

i am wondering if i should keep the original driveline in mine i have a 54 also but 4 door.iv never driven it just started this project what am i to expect? any help would be great im just looking to cruz not win races and not be gutless

11. rld14

rld14

Always good to see another old Lincoln on the roads of Jersey!

Oh, J Harvey, the stock drivetrain has plenty of power, remember who was kicking ass and taking names in the Carrera Panamericana in the early 50s....

12. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

saw it in the ads thought it was a good price, nice car

13. kein

kein

Bill, thanks for the input and thanks for a job well done. I would have liked to have met you but you know where I am lol....J Harvey..sorry man, won't be working on mine til next summer but I have read alot about these cars and lik rld14 says, the cars won in '53 and '54 on a hardcore road race in Mex if you don't know the story. They were billed as the fastest American production cars at the time (according to what I read). Yep, lots of plans for this thing and looking forward to next summer for it...anybody got mexican blankets handy haha....just kidding, interior will be made to look like factory after she is running properly....I keep dreaming of a cross country to Austin when I get home. Hmmmm

14. kein

kein

Yep...I bought it on blind faith and the fellow HAMBer was as honest as can be. I will be writing him to thank him but I have to say, I took a gamble on this and it turned out that the guy was great and he is def not one of those out there to cheat and steal. The car was exactly as he described and he assured me I was buying a solid project with little to no rust etc.....good people here on the HAMB!

15. kein

kein

Sorry meant to include the post...

16. j harvey

j harvey
    from pa

am i wrong in saying this was close to the first years of holley and ford coming together?

17. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Good Luck on the resto I had a 54 merc.Im in Jackson Nj and getting ready to start a frame-off on a 56 fairlane.Mike

18. rld14

rld14

I should have my 60 Coupe back on the road by the end of the week. Even if yours isn't roadworthy by then, there's a Lincoln show in Bucks County, PA in October that I'll be at, and this Sunday I hope to bring my car up to Boston for a show.

Can't wait to see a build thread on this car.