Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Battery mounting question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '48IHC, Aug 12, 2013.

1. '48IHC

'48IHC

I'm trying to figure out where to mount the battery on my 48 KB-1 pickup. It's going to be a daily driver. There is no room up front since the 5.3 takes it all up. Lookin to stay away from putting it directly in the bed. Any ideas would be great!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

What about under the floor with a cover like an AD truck?

3. '48IHC

'48IHC

Good idea. How well will that seal up against the elements? I plan on running full interior as well with carpet and sound deadening

4. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

5. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

My K-1 has it behind the seat. Don't know if it's going to stay there.
    The battery in the bed deal isn't so bad you put the bty in a old tool box bolted to the floor. What could be more natural?

6. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Great solution. :D

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think the battery goes under the floor from the factory don't they.

8. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

You're probably right, I don't know. I was just trying to help the OP place the battery where it will do the most good. On a front-motor, rear-drive platform, the frame twists in such a way that the right rear wheel and the left front wheel get light on acceleration, with the right front and left rear getting heavier. That's why, on a Ricky Racer car with an open differential, you see the right rear tire worn out while the left rear is still functional (one-wheel-peel). By adding weight to the right rear, you can somewhat equalize the weight transfer and provide bite for both rear tires without a posi or other device in the pig. More weight on the RR works, as does a single helper spring, another leaf in the leaf spring pack or a spacer under the RR coil spring.

If you walk through the staging lanes of a run-what-ya-brung drag event, you may notice that the right rear of some of the cars sits a little higher than the left rear. The car owner has wedged more spring under the RR and that helps the tires get equal traction because of equal weight when you nail the loud pedal and the frame twists up.

9. Used an Odyssey pc680 in my roadster under the seat. Completely sealed you can even lay it down. On the road a year and a half and it works great.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      259.2 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      211.1 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      164 KB
      Views:
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I got that Friday I guess he may have subframed it and doesn't have the factory box any more.

11. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Yes, they're under the driver's floor stiock.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

***passenger side. if running carpet with batt under floor need to have some edging stitched around carpet above to easily lift up floor cover plate to be able to check for possible corrosion, etc. run a large master kill switch on frame below running board and special capped remote studs to be able to charge or jump start if battery should go dead.

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I always try to keep batteries and gas tanks out of the passenger compartment. Yea perhaps they don't spill, but they can short out....

There is a mount, it goes under the floor. It is on a mechanism, so you can pull a pin I think and it extends down so you have access to it....

Mine is in my bed. I am gonna use one of these mentioned items for my battery...

You can mount ad mudflap type thing in front of it to keep water off if you ever get cought in the rain, but the engine compartment isn't a very friendly envirement anyways

14. elba

elba

I have had several 38 Chevys and I put the battery underneath the right front fender and drove them that way for at least one hundred thous miles. Never a problem

15. surfgeezer

surfgeezer

On my 48 KB1 I put a box on the (passenger) side of the frame under the rear of the front fender. I ran cables back along the frame to the end of the running board with a bracket attached to the bottom of the bed for two jumper studs (red and black caps)

16. '48IHC

'48IHC

Thanks everyone for the input I greatly appreciate it. I like the idea of mounting it on the frame under the bed and make an access door. My buddy across town has a CNC plasma cutter and could make me a kick ass access door with the IHC logo embossed in it. It'll make for easy access overall for my application. I plan on using the bed quite often as well. Even though the old tool box would look killer, I would rather have the usable space.

I built a new floor and set it on a s10 frame as well so I don't have my factory under cab mount and door. I'm new to the site and don't know what's appropriate so I'm a little hesitant on mentioning the 5.3 in it. Hope it doesn't get me shunned off the site!

17. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Would you have any pics?

18. '48IHC

'48IHC

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377448125.216423.jpg

This is what I ended up doing. Will make an access door when I build my floor