Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chop shop in CA busted...58 returned overhauled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasDart, Aug 12, 2013.

1. TexasDart

TexasDart

Looks like a few classic cars were recovered. The 58 Vert was even restored.

May be a few less cars will get stolen in CA.

http://monrovia.patch.com/groups/po...-in-2011-recovered-in-chop-shop-bust_558452c8

A 1960 Chevrolet Impala stolen from the Monrovia area was among three classic cars recovered during a recent bust of a chop shop.

Don Faison, 44, of Quartz Hill, was arrested Wednesday and booked on felony suspicion of operating a chop shop, said Los Angeles police Sgt. Jess Corral of the Taskforce for Regional Autotheft Prevention, known as TRAP.

Faison was released Wednesday night on $50,000 bail, and preliminarily was scheduled to appear at the LAX Courthouse on Aug. 27, the sheriff's department reported.

On July 24, detectives acting on a tip served a search warrant at a residence in the 4600 block of West Avenue M-12, where they impounded four vehicles, Corral said.

Three of the vehicles were determined to have been stolen, including a 1958 Chevrolet Impala convertible, which was taken in March of 2007 from the Los Angeles area, Corral said.

Faison was not at the location when the warrant was served, but detectives conducted a follow-up investigation and arrested him on Wednesday, Corral said.

Authorities returned the 1958 Impala convertible to its owner, Corral said.

"It should be noted that the victim, who was the original owner ... had no insurance for this vehicle at the time of theft," Corral said.

"When the vehicle was located during this operation and returned to him, he found that the suspect(s) had completely restored his vehicle from the frame up," Corral said.

"The vehicle had been repainted, new upholstery added, etc. In essence, his vehicle was returned in better condition than before it was stolen," Corral said. "This doesn't occur very often, and he is a lucky individual."

Two other stolen cars were also recovered: a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air that was stolen in May of 2011 from the Santa Monica area, and a 1960 Chevrolet Impala that was stolen in April of 2011 from the Monrovia area.

2. dan31

dan31

I love that:D

3. farmer12

farmer12

4. shadams

shadams

HAAAHAHAAAA! Awesome. 5 yrs later on top of all that. Goes to show you never know where these cars end up, not always overseas...

5. jlibert

jlibert
    from fresno

AWESOME!!! got it back restored. Can't beat that!

6. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

It;s great that the guy was busted but why only a $50,000 bond? He's only out of pocket about $5000 and he's out and about to steal more cars to help pay for his attorney fees. He should sit in jail and rot.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sounds like that TV show where they steal the car and rebuild it, only for real!

I wonder if the DMV will make him pay 5 years back fees. Probably.

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

ha maybe overhaulin' in REALity tv afterall

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I wonder if Faison [if he is ideed guilty] was doing these cars for himself? Spending five years, chop shop wise, doesn't seem very profitable? I wonder how the Florida guy that stole his own car ended up....

10. Nighthawk756

Nighthawk756

Hahahahaha....man, it doesn't get any better than that. Your car gets stolen when you have no insurance on it....then it gets returned with a full resto....that's great!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

For some reason I thought about that, and wondered the same thing the other day.....anyone know what ever happened to Hot Turkey?

12. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Fantastic ! That made me smile :) Now cut Faison's hands off.

13. The '58 was an original owner? Bet he can't believe he got it back.

14. snaptwo

snaptwo

I'm glad for the owners . Perhaps the miscreant will do time for his actions and perhaps it should be leaked to the prison gangs that he is a molester. I don't think any penalty is harsh enough !

15. fsae0607

fsae0607

I saw this on the news yesterday morning. The owner of the '58 is pissed that his car was turned into a lowrider!

16. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Wish this happened more often, bastards!!!

17. one2roc

one2roc

Just goes to show crime doesn't pay.... Unless youre the owner of a newly restored 58 Impala!

18. The Zoomer

The Zoomer
    from So-Cal

Guys, I know money is tight at times, but a simple agreed amount insurance only runs a few hundred bucks on 15K+ value. Always good to have it, this guy got lucky to get his car back 6 years later, quite surprised the clown did not sell it... Oh well...

19. OLLIN

OLLIN

yup.

20. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

Hopefully the guy had before and after pics,that would even add to the story!!

21. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

What's not to like about this story?

22. sdluck

sdluck

23. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Great ending for the owner of that 58, im hoping some photos will soon show up here.

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

This article has a photo of the owner's new 58 lowrider and is he pissed!

http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/08/09/38620/72-year-old-gets-his-58-impala-back-all-fixed-up-h/

And another article which states the thief is an LA County sanitation worker. My guess is that his trash route involved the Monrovia area as 2 of the stolen cars were stolen from that area. Drive your route and case out classic cars to steal while on the clock. Nice.;

All three cars had been taken apart and reassembled and their Vehicle Identification Numbers were changed, according to Los Angeles Police Department Detective George Molina, part of a countywide car theft task force.
    Don Edward Faison, 44, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of operating a chop shop, a felony. He’s being held on $50,000 bail at Van Nuys Jail, according to online inmate records.
    “He’s a classic car nut,” said Molina, adding that Faison is an employee with the LA County sanitation districts.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...wner-to-Get-Stolen-Impala-Back-219020491.html

25. Christom

Christom

I f-ing HATE thieves. Hope those bastards rot in hell!

26. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Great to hear they caught that mother f__ker and returned the cars to their owners. They should hang the low life and save the taxpayers money.

27. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Gotta love it---a gooooooood news thread. Hang the bastard.

28. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to see pictures of that '58 now vs. then.