Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Riviera Hubs - '65 vs. '64

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Anyone know if '64 and '65 Riviera hubs are interchangeable? I need some drums and a pal has some nice ones from a '64 with hubs... and I'm wondering if they will work on a '65 as is... Anyone know if there are any differences?

2. Hey Ryan,
    Give this guy a call or email him. Riviera Dan. He is a wealth of knowledge on 63-65 Rivs. I got all my conversion parts from him. And he has about 7 Rivs. Mostly parts cars. If you need parts at a fair price, he's the guy. But, he really knows these cars inside and out. Tell him you talked to Dave from Dearborn w/ Blue 63
    I hope this helps ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376239229.613916.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Id bet there the same ….. If I was in you’re shoes id call the local parts store you use and ask if the bearings are the same for the two years.

4. titus

titus

I just looked up the bearings and seals on oriellys website and they are the same.

Im pretty sure all 3 year rive hub/drum assm interchange, some earlier ones had ball bearings but those were some of the full size buicks.

5. Ryan,
    Are your old drums cracked?

6. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know the 63' drums are different but I am pretty sure the 64'-65' assembly's are the same you "should" be ok.

Lumpy

7. slacker1965

slacker1965

ryan
    I think the the outside of the ft hub has a bit larger od in '64..... my bro isn't answering my txt's so I can't confirm.... just take one of your wheels w/ya to make sure it slides over the hub. I think the only diff in '63-4 is that '63 had the lh thread studs....
    hope this helps
    ks

8. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 63' hub ring is larger. That is why you must run spacers on wheels the 64'-65' is the same size and does not require the spacers.

Lumpy

9. As far as I know, you should be able to have the drums turned unless they are in really bad shape. the front aluminum drums can be re-sleeved if they are not crack or outta round. The hard part I guess would be finding new sleeves.

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Were's to PO ?

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

As it turns out, the 64 hubs are a bit different. Damnit. My drums are fine mechanically, but every fin has a broken tip...

12. Ahh. Call Riviera Dan. He has a ton of parts and he's really fair on price. Might be worth it. He has a few 65GS parts cars in his yard. If ya do, tell em you talked to Dave with the blue 63.
    And thanks for my new firewall tag.
    All the best

13. titus

titus

Can you reshape the fins a little or are the broke off pretty far? my buddy had a set that had alot of busted fins so we threw them on my rotor/drum lathe and reshaped then, they actually turned out pretty good.

jeff