Register now to get rid of these ads!

SEMA show,is it worth the trip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37 caddy, Aug 11, 2013.

1. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Hi All,thinking about going to the SEMA show this fall,is it worth the trip,also going to take in the AAPex show too,looks like a lot of fun on the different websites,anyone else been there,what to do and what not to do?,any must do's or see?. Thanks Harvey

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It is if you're invited.

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Personally, I'd skip APEX and spend all my time at SEMA. Stu

4. The SEMA show isn't a 'open' show, it's only for press/vendors/manufacturers/etc...

So if you're not one of those, you need an invite from somebody who is.

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's a invite only - NOT open to the public

6. Lets Go! SEMA CRASHERS!!!!!!

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Been to SEMA twice in 5 years. I'd go every year if I could afford to. Its sensory overload for car guys.

8. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I've seen tickets on Craigslist for it. Are these legit since you guys are saying its invite only?

9. gtopillado

gtopillado

Its one of the events I look forward to every year. Its definitely worth it especially if you've never been. Guys are correct, closed to public. There has to be a vender in the business that you know that can get you in. They check throughly when you are at the show, id, business card etc etc. so I wouldn't go the CL way.

10. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

like a midway at a race or car event
    can be boring

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yes it is a must see and wear your walking shoes.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you are in the automotive business, or know someone that is and will take you, you need to go. Go to the SEMA web site for details. lots of hotel rooms available.

13. Been there twice and worth every penny. You just got to know somebody in the industry that's a SEMA member, otherwise you'll be on the outside looking in.

14. joe--h

joe--h
    from New Mexico

Well worth it, but it's a hike. Used to be the Mother Lode of nekkid lady posters too, but that went the way of most good things.

Joe H

15. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I am in the "automotive business" so tickets shouldn't be to hard to get?,just wanted to know if its as good as they say it is,so far the comments point to being just that. Thanks Harvey

16. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Yep, totally worthwhile. I had a great time, got cheepo lodgings on freemont street ( great nightly freak show there too! ) Lots of other stuff to do there after SEMA is over. i got a rental car and drove around the desert looking for old cars, found loads.

A++ must do!

Cheers!

17. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Yes well worth it, I went last year and am going again this year. There is also lots of other training to look out for such as CARS classes, and the AVI Conference.

18. Go..a whole lot to take in.
    Wear comfortable shoes.

19. bluthndr

bluthndr

This ^

Many years ago before I had my shop I made a "paper" business with the sole intention of going to the show. All car guys gotta go once (at least). Not a lot of hard core racer stuff, a little bit of traditional hot rod related, and a ton of 2014 diesel trucks with 40" tires, twin turbo kits on 2014 stingrays, etc, etc.

I always tell people it's like an unlimited budget car show. It's got the answer to, "If I won the powerball jackpot, how could I build/modify a _________ (insert name of late model vehicle here)."

Oh - another important note. Wear comfortable shoes. It is the biggest indoor anything I have ever seen. I'm pretty hardcore at those things and am the last guy standing in my group usually. I don't think you could see it all in 2 full days. It's like 3-4 buildings the size of multiple NFL stadiums (each building) full of exhibitors, vehicles, presentations, etc.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  20. You can join SEMA with the proper credentials. I think the minimum price of membership is 500.

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

It's $100, ask me how I know!

22. snelson57

snelson57

I go just about every year for work purposes. Spend most of my time at AAPEX because that is where my bread is buttered, but SEMA is much more entertaining.

Worth going to for sure.