Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Better Late than Never - SYMCO SHAKEDOWN #5 - Aug 9-10, 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cliffy, Jul 16, 2013.

1. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

Awesome weather, great cars, the freshest cheese curds ever, cold beer, and yes wait for it ..... KENT'S BIG BAR!
    I'm in heaven!!

P.S. please bring back the engine raffle.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. SBCWelder

SBCWelder

Just got home from my 2nd Symco Shakedown.
    It was a 400 mile round trip for me, and no major breakdowns in our convoy.
    Thank you Mike for another amazing show.

[​IMG]

3. Tin Can

Tin Can

The show was a blast! Got there on Friday and camped until Sunday. Hung out with some great friends and met some new ones. What a great show!!!!

4. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Been there all 5 years, worked the gate & the wife sold raffle tickets.
    This year my truck didn't get in. Had steel 15"90's cop rims w/ 50 Merc
    grooved trim rings & small hub caps. Guess the 10 other mods didn't
    didn't over rule those steel rims..

5. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

This is the first year I actually made the show. I wanted to go the first couple years but the forecast kept me away, the last two I had other stuff going on. Now that I finally made it will take something pretty big for me to miss another one. It's neat to see what it has become. I remember reading the threads leading up to the first show and listening to Cliffy talk about it at the Corn Roast a few weeks later.

Next year I'll be pre-registering with my buddy and getting up there on Thursday night.

It sounds like it has grown exponentially over the last few years. I hope it doesn't reach critical mass anytime soon. It definitely felt more like a summer camp or social event than a car show which is a good thing. I think the average age was about 35 compared to 55 for the regular shows that i go to.

6. bill blumenberg

bill blumenberg

Thanks to Mike and the whole crew for another fantastic show. It only gets bigger and better. Been there all 5 years and are already making plans for next year.

7. I am FINALLY able to sit down and do some internet wrap of off the show. Thanks to Deb Seals, Dennis Oliver and the rest of the OBG for such a great job this year!! Thanks to my dad and my girlfriend Tracy for support. Thanks to TudorJeff, Squablow, Grinder and the gate inspection team for a great job. Thanks to Craig Knutson, Rob Paul, John Spence for stepping up this year! Thanks to Deano, Paul Meyer and FiddyFour and the rest of the Vagabonds. Thanks to Crazy Bob, Susy Nelson and the rest of the volunteers for putting in above and beyond to make this the largest and safest Symco Shakedown to date!

Thanks to all the guys and gals here on the HAMB who came and participated!!! We had some awesome rides again this year...and the amount of kick ass vintage campers is amazing!!!

Here is our official announcement.....

By: Cliffy/TudorJeff

Symco Shakedown 2013 – A Successful Failure

Symco, Wisconsin - The 2013 Symco Shakedown was a huge success, if all you look at is sheer numbers and volumes.* We had more cars than ever (both inside the grounds meeting the strict inspection criteria, and outside the grounds that didn’t meet the criteria).* Of those cars, we had more first timers to the show than ever before.* We also had twice as many campers as ever, and we had more spectators than ever come see what the show was all about.* The Shakedown was also a success for 2013 because we handled all this increased traffic with nobody getting hurt, no traffic accidents, and no major altercations.* This is greatly attributed to the Waupaca County*Sheriff's*Department and the Manawa EMT.* Many thanks also go out to the show staff, the Symco UTC, and the staff of well over 100 volunteers, many of whom are unsung heroes that went above and beyond the call of duty working long hours dealing with the overwhelming number of visitors. These include the OBG, Members of the Vagabonds and a few other welcome additions to our staff!

So why did we call 2013 a successful failure?* Looking back to when the show was first dreamt up, the Symco Shakedown was supposed to be more than a car show.* It was supposed to be a lifestyle event, a hot rod and custom gathering, and a family reunion all rolled into one that was especially for the car owners who build their cars themselves and actually drive them to the event.* It was supposed to be the premiere gathering of actual period correct and period styled hot rods and customs in the country.* We built our inspection criteria to raise the bar above any other traditional hot rod show in the country, and we continue to work at it each year making it better and better.*We try to quantify our criteria and not judge based on taste. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. The part where we failed this year is that the campers and spectators (who did not bring any type of show car to the event), overwhelmed the car owners and the people who have been driving their hot rods and customs to the event from the first year.* We want to keep this show as it was originally envisioned, small and focused on traditional hot rods and customs.* We want to keep it “for” the hot rodders and customs guys and their families.* Spectators and campers that come with no cars should come last.* We want the grounds less crowded and more laid back like it was in years past.* We don’t want the show or the grounds to lose the “vibe” we first fell in love with so many years ago.* We call the Symco Shakedown “Summer Camp for Hot Rodders”, not “Summer Camp for people who are not Hot Rodders”, and we intend to correct that. Cliffy has been saying for quite a few years there will be a day when owners of cars meeting criteria will be able to have a free weekend, that day is coming closer to reality.
    For 2014, look for spectator and camping prices to go way up for people who do not bring a qualifying car to the event.* For the guy or family that brings a qualifying car (and maybe a vintage camper to the event), the prices will stay the same or will even go down!* We are not sure how to correctly handle this, but we will figure out a way that works between now and the start of 2014 registration. *Our food and lifestyle vendors will also see no increase in pricing for next year, however we have to move our vendors off of prime hot rod parking areas and get the look of the facility back to where it needs to be.

Also for 2014, look for the inspection criteria to get even stricter and to be further improved.* During inspections, we have asked people to cover things up like iron cross tail lights, modern mirrors, and borderline rat rod-styled ornate decorations like skulls and spider webs only to see them lay uncovered inside the show grounds.* This will not be allowed any more.* Also in the past we have allowed some minor things to be “covered” with a shirt, a jacket, or a blanket.* We have even allowed some things to be covered with tape or cardboard.* It was fun when the show was small, but sadly those times are over.* Some people have taken advantage of this rule and have covered the same things year after year instead of upgrading to parts more suited for the style of car we are looking for. *If we continue to allow things to be covered, we fail as a traditional hot rod/custom show. It doesn’t mean that we dislike some of the styling we don’t allow, it just means we don’t want it in this type of show. Many of the Shakedown staff own cars that don’t meet criteria and we leave them home for the weekend, or we don’t park them in the main show area as respect to the owners who do build a car in a period correct style. If you have a billet steering wheel or even one out of an S-10; if you have raised white letter tires, or high back bucket seats with headrests, you have all year to change them out or you will be parking outside the show grounds.* If you have skulls, iron crosses, rats, spiders, or anything else from the Halloween store on your car, either take them off of you will be parking in our special VIP area outside the grounds.* *The show has just grown too large to give special treatment to people and have to police them all weekend. *If you like your ride the way it is, that is fine and we respect that. If you wish not to change these items on your ride to get into our show, then you can’t expect us to allow your vehicle into a traditional hot rod/custom show when you clearly have a car that is NOT either of those. Again, if you have a mustang, you would not expect to get into a corvette show. If you have a 1990’s styled custom you can’t expect to get into a 1950’s styled custom show.

We are more than welcome to discuss criteria or any other aspect of the Symco Shakedown with anyone. Send us email, we respond to all.

To learn more about the changes coming to the Symco Shakedown for 2014, keep checking our web site and facebook page for updates.*

8. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

I approve this message... haha!

9. Tin Can

Tin Can

The show was great, this was me and the 3 guys that came with's first year. We camped and had a great weeked. My hat is off to the guys working the grounds and the guys working the gates. they did a great job, and even answered questions when some of us had them before hand. We will be back next year, and will more than likely volunteer for this event.

10. I miss Jeffie... San Antonio Texas??? A little commute?:eek:

11. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Miss you too brother! Yep the commute required one big truck, one big plane, one small plane, and one small car. :D

12. Sounds good to me, Bring it!

13. We've been to the Shakedown the past 3 years as spectators, I would be extremely disappointed if you were to raise your prices as much as you say. We come down for one day drive 2 and a half hours one way buy your beer buy your food buy you swag take a TON of cool pics than drive home 2 and a half hours. We always have a party of 4 or more people. When I'm there I'm in heaven! It would be a shame to raise it that much. Just my perspective.

14. slammed

slammed

Do it Cliffy, otherwise the place is another Pile Up casualty. Raise the general admission and keep the original intent.

15. This is exactly the type of comment that makes me really upset. You are so incorrect in your assumptions.

Admission has been $10 for the weekend and $30 camping since 2010 I believe. Even when show operating costs have gone up significantly.

Price for a weekend admission is going up to $20 for 2014, or $10 per day. If you come for one day in 2013 it cost you $10 per person, in 2014 if you come for one day, it will cost you exactly $10 per person. NO CHANGE!!!
    Not to mention, I make absolutely ZERO $$ from beer and food. Bands, security, EMT, and all the other show expenses get paid for by gate admission. Beer and Food profits go to the Symco UTC.

Or, if you want to even get a better deal, drive a Symco approved hot rod or custom to the show next year. I am working out the details on how to do it, but rides meeting criteria will be hopefully pay the same or less than any year to date or be FREE, ESPECIALLY if you bring a vintage camper in tow.

Symco Shakedown will do our best to cater to the traditional hot rod and custom community, general spectators out of the circle of influence come second. The true car guys make a good show, not spectator count.

16. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Charge what you want! I bet you it will still grow next year.....its still a lot cheaper than a lot of other events you go to throughout the country

Personally - I miss the old days.....

slammed likes this.
  17. Me too.

18. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

We told you so;)

Sorry had to say it....still a GREAT show....but don't tell no one!

19. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

That's why prices need to go up for the people who come as spectators and who camp as spectators. While it's true they pay for a large portion of the show expenses, the show is not really for them. It's for the guy and his family, who actually "build" their car, who actually "drive" it to the event, and who might pitch a tent behind it and spend the weekend there. For the record I urged Cliffy to make it $20 for spectators no matter if you are there for 5 minutes or for all weekend. He came up with the idea to make it $10 a day.

All over the country, car builders / owners / drivers have figured out that they are not willing to pay to bring their car to sit at a car show and draw in spectators who get in for free. However, many spectators still aren't used to the idea that they should have to pay to get into a car show. They have to realize that they are paying for the other parts of the show, the grounds, the bands, etc. Thankfully I am starting to see more shows charge the spectators as much or more than the car owners, which is how it should be.

Yes spectators people complain about the $10 at Symco. People complained about the $5 at the Hunnert Car Pileup too. People will always find something to complain about.

20. A "spectator" as someone who has no ties to traditional hot rodding, brings no value to other spectators and is not part of any club, organization, business or whatever. So your buddy who tags along, volunteers to help a few hours, helps you work on your ride, brings a mini bike to race, and participates in the dance contest is NOT a spectator, they are a participant. Your wife who packs your hot rod for the weekend, allows you to be in the hobby and comes and supports you is a participant, not a spectator. A spectator is Joe Schmo who drives his Honda, walks around and looks at everything, doesn't participate, volunteer or do anything to make the show better for others. We want those people to front the bill and will be trying to figure out the best way to move in that direction. Symco Shakedown is great because we have participants who care. Too many shows take advantage of those people and charge them while Joe Schmo gets a free ride. That is wrong.

21. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

When will the band list be released for Symco 2014? Also, will there be an updated criteria page for this year?

22. Reverbnation should have most, of not all the bands listed. Website is not able to be updated until we fix some problems. We booked the Bible Belt sinners yesterday and working on airfare for a band from california, then we should have out lineup complete.
    Criteria will not change from last year. We feel it is good and needs not be messed with.

Anyone wants to preregister for camping, swap meet or just for weekend admission so they can come to the Thursday kickoff party, please call me with a credit card or I can take PayPal as well. 920-540-4576

23. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

Is there a 2014 Symco thread? I cant seem to find anything with this new forum.

24. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

No Symco thread this year. No need for it. And yes the search function is messed up. Try "advanced search" next time.