Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this Custom 61-62 Chrysler Real?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CarLowz, Aug 11, 2013.

1. CarLowz

CarLowz
    from Florida

I saw this image as one of those Garage covers/murals options a few days ago. I don't recall seeing such a custom. I have searched the internet the best I can (and I am pretty good at it), but have come up empty so far.

If it is real, I think it looks fantastic (from what I see). I would like to know more about it. Does anyone recognize this car?

I had a 1962 Newport once, so I really appreciate the 61-62 Chryslers.

Thank you, in advance!

Attached Files:

2. ripsrides

ripsrides

I think it's a 63-66 chevy truck or a least cab is

3. if t remember it a early 60s chevy truck with the car nose grafted on

4. Yes Carlowz, it is real, but..........it is a Chrysler front end grafted on a 60-66 Chevy C-10 pickup. I don't have any other pictures of it, but I'm sure others will chime in with some. There was a thread about it way back when, but I can't recall what the truck was called or how to dig up the thread. Like I said, I'm sure someone will know. E

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car is real.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I hope it stays in there.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, please close this thread.

9. I don't know if I like it or think it`s an automotive abortion. Or maybe its a train wreck you can't stop looking at. Is it like looking at a woman with double z fake breasts, you only look because you think you have to.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I want one! Put that on your garage door and nobody's going to break in.

11. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

saw it in Detroit a few years back, i thought it was pretty wild! not recommended for those who cant think out of the box!

12. CarLowz

CarLowz
    from Florida

Thank you, gentlemen - I was pretty sure I could count on you. I even learned about Candy Barr from tfeverfred.... :D

Well, I thought something looked strange with what I could see of the roof in that garage mural, but I certainly was not expecting a pickup truck rear end!!!! After looking at it in the Freak Show link, I have to say the result is better looking than I feared.

What I liked about the front end is how they mated the grille opening to the rest of the body, leaving only the exposed motor opening to interrupt the lines. That work, very nicely emphasizes the beauty of the 61-62 Chrysler 300/Newport/New Yorker nose, in my opinion.

To help heal some of your eyes and erase this bad dream I drudged up, I am including some images more along the lines of what I was hoping to find. I don't know whose vehicles these are, so I apologize for that (I have since started keeping better track):
    (the last one I found for sale, here (no affiliation): http://www.2040cars.com/Chrysler/New-Yorker/4-dr-v8-hot-rod-rat-rod-cruiser-multi-colored-flame-throwers-247278/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  13. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

I seen it in person. It was hard not to look at but it wasent because I wanted to. Yuck.

14. CarLowz

CarLowz
    from Florida

Thanks, again, folks. For those interested, below are links to earlier threads of the real thing.

This vehicle is emotionally charged!

I enjoyed the comments of "if you have not built anything, shut up" vs. "I don't have to have built a house to know whether I like one or not". Both are valid - I have found that the more I learn about something, the more "the box" of it gets defined. That has its good and its bad.

The good is that our minds work as "pattern-matchers", and that box is a pattern. Our minds "enjoy" finding a close match (maybe sometimes even better than an exact match) to a pattern we "know". And, if I know "the pattern", I can create it, and even mess with it, to effect!

The bad of it is, as we solidify that pattern via our experience, it takes more effort to stray from it. Our mind gets discomfort from conflicting patterns. The known pattern also becomes our automatic assumptions, which causes us more work to even see them (they are automatic).

Throwing a wrench into the works is that each of us has unique backgrounds, and so the patterns we learn are all different, unless... we do the difficult thing of agreeing on a tradition.

Sad part is, folks very familiar with the old Hot Rod and Kustom patterns are leaving us, and so these traditions are being lost. However, those traditions were likely created by straying from previous traditions, and so the cycle goes.... :)

Ah, sorry, strayed onto the soapbox...:eek:

Early Pics/Thread:
    Chev-rysler Pink Freak Pics

Later Pics/Thread:
    That "Freakshow" truck... Wild Mopar/Chevy

15. williebill

williebill

Interesting post, but I disagree. Traditions aren't being lost, thanks in no small part to the HAMB, and other connections we are able to enjoy and experience. Things necessarily change, but others carry the torch.
    As for that truck, I give the builders credit for having the balls to build it. I hate the color, but gotta admit, I like it.

16. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

It doesn't have a hot tub in the bed. Why doesn't it?

17. CarLowz

CarLowz
    from Florida

Yes, what I meant to say is, traditions change. Lost is too strong, though some pieces will likely be lost - part of change (and some of these pieces may be rediscovered, later!).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  18. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Didn't read any of the links, but I knew the owner/builder from his shop here in St. Louis, and saw it before it had paint.

The car was shown here in its early stages at a "World Of Wheels" show about (2002-2004), and, was featured at the 2007 Cobblestone National's here too.

I've Uploaded a couple of shots I took at the CN's. A very real, very wild creation...which is exactly what they were aiming for !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  19. Playboy Mansion, nuff said. More crazy shit comes out of that shop then Pelosi's mouth. Search Suicide King.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Traditions aren't being lost, but they are being diluted. Sad, but true I think.

21. I can't say that I love it, but like any work of art, it can be appreciated even if not "liked"! Picasso comes to mind.
    Isn't "custom" about being different? Who has to like it for it to be accepted? You? Me? Of course there are the homophobes that can't get past pink! I think most of the anti-pink ones are too young to have discovered "pink".
    I agree with the human mind being pattern oriented, just some of us refuse to try to get away from the "pattern".

22. purpledodge

purpledodge
    from Tucson

Well said!

23. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Looks like the work of the guy who lives down in the Hudson Valley, New Paltz area.

he was showing these two a caddy and a Plymouth bodied garden tractor at the Rhienbeck Show about 11 years ago.

[​IMG]

25. I think theres a video of it racing a bubbletop car (one of plowboys or docs ?, cant remember which one) but cant seem to find it.

26. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

27. Dyna88Kid

Dyna88Kid

Alls I can say is, in order to justify that kind of customisation, that car better've given you tetnis from looking at it.

GO OLDS '60!!!

the most comfortable ride you ever tried!

28. Not sure I understand the hate on this one. Mating the Chrysler nose to the pickup body lines was a stroke of genius, I was amazed how well the mix of the two lines worked together. I could do with a top/roof change, that's not terribly attractive, but whatever.

Then again this is the HAMB, where hot rods are great, mild customs are kool, and no one likes full tilt all out customs.

29. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

check out the rear body line how wavy it is. i guess that would explain the wild paint :rolleyes: