Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fauxtina paint job on a 63 Tbird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace'sSpeedshop, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Actually, they probably don't like a fake one. I could almost live with the fake patina. Almost. But fake race cars remind me of....this.

[​IMG]

Good paint work, but not overly popular. To each his own.

2. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thats awesome and classic!!! Great job, you have mad skills, Ive been admiring your weathering for a while.

[​IMG]

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Now if you did it on a Corvette or an Avanti that would have them scratching their heads!
    KK

4. Ebert

Ebert

Given what you started with....bravo!

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't you know that we don't like fake stuff here? We want real rust, dammit! :D

6. And there is enough rust on here for everyone.
    I kind of like it. I have to admit it would catch my eye at a meet.:)

7. 1951Biff

1951Biff

That is really neat work man! Think you might be on to something. Weather and age are beautiful!

Keep kickin ass!
    Cheers,
    Biff

8. kein

kein

You gotta appreciate the skill at least...looks cool to me and I would have no problems having you paint my car if you were closer....not patina, my car has plenty of real stuff right now, but I am sure your skills are killer with flats and shiny as well.

9. Chiefpontiac77

Chiefpontiac77

Dude, that is really cool that you could paint it to look like that. Really impressive. Don't matter what everyone else likes, do and build what you (or she) wants. Original, cool, weathered, old, character. Hopefully she appreciates all the work. Not to sound lame, but how do you get the paint to work out that way?

10. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I think you did a great job, and quality of the work speaks for itself. It looks like you took the time to really understand how and where the aging really happens. I can appreciate the effort and skill involved to do this look, which is creating a cool and unique car that she will have a ball driving, and she could always paint the fun out of it when she gets old and boring. I personally would not have thought of that theme for this car, but I really dislike lace, panelled jobs and metal flake way more, and there are lots of these square birds wearing those styles of paint jobs. I would walk right by one of them to get a good shot of yours.

11. docmike

docmike

I just wonder what kind of responses you would have gotten if you hadn't mentioned the fake rust? If you would have just said that you had fixed up your car to look like it was an old race car? It reminds me of a movie prop. I think it's kind of cool.

Doc

12. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

13. What he said!

14. I dig it, probably not what Id want on my car but you did an amazing job.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Nice, Mutt

16. some people dont get it...but i love it...i would of loved to keep mine in its original patina..but i couldnt live with the real rust holes...the way you did it makes the car solid and give that vintage look all in one...Thanks for sharing

17. 46stude

46stude

I like the dumb asses who posted that T-Birds didn't run circle tracks. Good job, guys. Makes me laugh, and that was worth opening up the thread. "I may not always stick my head up my ass, but when I do, its done with grace & dignity on the HAMB.". :D

Nice job on the Thunderbird. Some just don't get that this is an enjoyable hobby, not a "paint by numbers" type o' thing.

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I like it, but, I seem to make some people mad with every build. Nice job, and to the dope who doesn't know any better, T'Birds WERE raced in NASCAR, even convertibles.

Brian

19. LXbuilder

LXbuilder

Always lurking here but rarely post, I must add my two cents. Love the car because it is different and still in good taste. It could have been painted to look like every other 64 bird out there, but this is way cooler and with a young gal driving, well that's even better.
    And to Mr. Negative with the T-birds didn't stock car race ...are you kidding? Guess you aren't a stock car racing fan then.
    Awesome job on the car and hope the young lady drives the wheels off it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Good job, it does actually look real. The fake patina, fake 2drs, fake this, fake that, none of it is for me but I appreciate the hard work and talent that goes into it.

21. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Looks great! Your are a very talented painter.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

All I can say is if I see a 17 year old chick coming down the road driving that thing I'm diving the hell out of the way!

23. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

How 'bout shots of the "17 year old chick?"

24. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Thank you to everyone I really appreciate it. I really assumed this thread was going to be deleted a long time ago haha. Here is a picture of her with the car right after I dropped it off.

Attached Files:

25. put some wheels and tires like this bird has and fly![​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

So my friend that I painted this car for, her friend was getting a fauxtina paint job at the same time by a "professional" shop. I hit them up to see what it would cost and they told me somewhere between $4,000-$5,000.

Attached Files:

27. modeleh

modeleh

I think you did a great job, I even like the rust, but I wouldn't say it makes it better because of it.
    I know there is a thread here on the Hamb about Carsland at Disneyland with lots of positive comments. To me Disneyland is a wonderful place because I am constantly looking at all the different ways the artists create a fake replica of something. This TBird reminds me of that. Work by an artist, like a movie set, or theme park, to help one imagine what it really would have been like.
    Put this car on display in Disneyland and people would be all over it.
    Good job.

28. Tremendous artwork and just as impressive that a young person wants to drive an old car that even looks like an old car-Two Thumbs Up!

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

LOL wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.