Register now to get rid of these ads!

I remember waiting with anticipation on,,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 29, 2013.

1. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Still buy the older car magazines when I find them.Just picked up 78 more "little" magazines from the 50's/60's to replace the 100 I sold to a HAMB'er. Over 4,000 pre-71 mags and all are in rotation.Have read them all at least once.
    Spend a minimum of 1 hour per day reading a book...a real book not some electronic version...and still subscribe to 2 daily newspapers.
    Read before bed as it is more relaxing than staring at a computer screen.

2. funny, I'm in the process of recuperating from a nasty back back surgery and am in the process of reading Happy, Happy,Happy the Phil Robertson story. My eyes go crossed after about 8 hours of reading a computor screen.

Fenderless

3. About the only printed paper I read anymore are auto parts catalogs, seems like most everything you need to read is a mouse click away or little tiny monkey fingers typing away on a 2'' screen on a cell phone.

4. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

The last issue of RD on it's original run was issue #89, april '99. The last "Buckarroo" issue was #114, aug. '08.

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I still look forward to magazines...I pick up every issue of Traditional Rod and Kulture and somebody got me a sub to Rod and Custom though I wouldn't have bought it on my own and the Rodders Journal is hard to find in Canada and double the price, but I will still grab an issue if I see it. I also get the odd issue of Fuel. But I will still go to the bookstore and grab a huge stack of magazines and at least give them a look through. I'll even flip through the odd issue of street rodder...you never know where you might get inspiration or see a cool idea or combination of parts

6. I recently took several boxes of hot rod and early Ford V8 magazines to the veterans home.

I had a interesting conversation with a elderly gent about his escapades back in his hot rod youth. HRP

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Where I live we lose the electric service every time the wind blows. That's the only time I will set down to read my subscribe hot rod and Deluxe Magazine. I would imagine with computers we aren't the only ones who read less.

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Hot Rod Magazine is surprisingly good, and relevant. Most of us aren't into "what the kiddies are doing" so it's not going to appeal to the traditional crowd. But it's still well-written and engaging. They even have an online presence, which can be kind of fun to watch too.

9. As far as automotive magazines, I have only two subscriptions going now and do not intend to renew either one. It only takes me about 5 minutes to go through them so I consider them pretty much junk mail now. I do spend a lot of time reading on the internet, be it automotive stuff like the hamb or other various subjects of which I have an interest like news,archeology and religion. I do prefer to read in the printed medium because the computer to me is tiresome with scrolling and having to change pages if you want to look back.
    Haven't read a book in over a year though. I was going to order one last month but I just now remembered that..:eek:

10. OldColt

OldColt

I haven't subscribed to any car magazines since the mid 90's. The glare off the glossy paper pages really gets to my eyes these days. I still thumb through them at the magazine stand, and buy one once in a while if it has a lot of good stuff in it. My car interest spans roughly 1925-1975. I know 1966-1975 ain't HAMB friendly, but I just can't seem to cut off those last 10 years. That probably has a lot to do with the era I grew up in.

Being an old drag racer at heart, I visit NHRA and other drag race related sites nearly every day on the net. The HAMB gives me my fill of good old Gassers, HotRods, and Classics daily. I really like seeing the fabrication talents of folks on here, versus the all to common practice of bolting on a bunch of expensive catalog stuff which seems all to common these days.

--- Steve ---

11. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I dont have any magazine subscriptions any more, and I'll only buy one if I see something I'm interested in.But I still love to read a book, better than the internet. I still get most of them from the public library. There's no way I could have afforded to buy all the books I've read in my lifetime.I only buy a book if its something I know I'll want to look up again later. Occasionally there might be a fiction book I dont want to wait on and I might buy it, but when I'm done I donate it to the library.
    But when its information I need its hard to beat Google...which generally brings me to the HAMB, which is how I wound up here in the first place...searching for numbers for clearance in a kingpin bushing.:)

12. I'm happy to see someone still has the desire to read a book,,I picked up a paperback at the bookstore yard sale today,,that has noting to do with cars.

I'm looking forward to actually reading a book again. HRP

13. Funny I was just thinking about this too. Mags are ok on an airplane but the clutter that they create in my down sized old age makes them a nuisance.
    I did find my pops Hot Rods that are great reads ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375276751.197353.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Who's got time to read books anymore, what with all the time spent reading and looking at pix on the HAMB?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  15. pumpman

pumpman

I too have seemingly lost the desire to read books over the past years. I use to belong to a first edition book club which I would look forward to receiving and reading them. I no longer am a member and I find myself reading my old Hot Rod mags when I'm burning a mule in the john. When I have my down time I'm on the deck looking at the trees, listening to the birds and drinking a beer or glass of wine which now in my life I enjoy. I think the internet has over powered books due to inexpensive cost and the vast variety of topics.

Thanks HRP for bringing this up, haven't really thought about this.

16. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Holy Crap! Are the commies seeding our water with something that removes the desire to read from all us Americans?

I've been thinking about this for quite some time as I used to read everything, just everything. I had magazine subscriptions of every kind from woodworking to travel. I read the newspaper every morning and my hot rod mags at night. Plus, I always had a novel going just about all the time. At least three times a week I would walk from where I worked downtown to a special place called World Wide News and there would scan all of the automotive magazines available. There were racks full of them. I would generally take something back to work with me.

Then I kind of started to lose interest. My magazine piles started to really grow with unread issues that I would quickly scan when they showed up in the mail and just as quickly throw on the pile...to be read a later date. Yeah, sure.

Then I started to check eBay for old issues of Hot Rod and Honk and Hop Up. I started buying them and really enjoy the old stuff sooooooo much more. So that is where I am spending my money and reading time, what there is of it.

And then there is the H.A.M.B. which consumes an inordinate amount of my time on a daily basis. I'm like a crack addict. Please someone, I need an intervention so that I can actually get out in the garage and work on two of my cars that are dead in the water. HELP!!!

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Currently I take R&C and Street Rodder.. R&C goes away next month. I plan to keep reading SR until THEY become ads for their advertisers posing as tech articles---then they will be gone too. Two hours a day on the HAMB is pretty normal for me. Lots of good info here.

18. I go from the hamb to youtube to ebay then just type random searchs for parts and info on how to do stuff...i like the ability to educate myself when i run into something i want to tackle...i remember the days of going to the library and searching for info ahhhhhhhhh!!!!

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have let all my subscriptions lapse and only getting club newsletters now,I seem to not have the time to read these days and the money is best spent on more important stuff. With everything in life getting more expensive magazines are on the bottom of the list of needed stuff plus I am on here too much.

20. TennesseeZ

TennesseeZ

I quit subscribing to em several years back. I do get HR and CC because someone thought it would be a nice gift. Which I appreciate the thought, but they usually sit unread, or maybe 1/3 read, till they go in the stack. Maybe one day I'll give them away. I can find more that interests me in 30 min on the H.A.M.B. than in 30 issues of both. The only magazine I look forward to getting is "Hallowed Ground", from the Civil War Trust. I read it cover to cover. It's free if you ever donate to help preserve Civil War battlegrounds.

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Once you've seen 200 articles on 32 Ford roadsters with Chev V8s you've seen them all.

22. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

the newest 'Cartoons' magazine,:( I miss those guys...

23. I still look forward to getting the magazines in the mail, and last week I read three books.

I was on vacation though and had more time to time to read than usual.

I buy most books on ebay. I bought 35 books for $42 last year. That included shipping.
    It was an assortment of hardback and paperbacks.

24. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I used to travel for work work every week. I missed the down time sitting on an airplane with a book & a cocktail for a few hours every week.

Since I no longer travel, my book consumption plummeted a few years ago. Now, with a really hectic work schedule, I read the news on my phone, a few books a year, & Old Cars Weekly as I eat breakfast.

I read the occasional HRM, Car Craft, HRD, or something with an article on a particular car I know of.

It takes me all month to scan thru a single magazine (or 2) nowadays.

I GOTTA find more down time for a new book before my brain atrophies...

SinglefingerSpeedShop.com

25. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I don't read much either, I have only three magazine subscriptions TRJ, R&C, SR. Aside from TRJ which stays in the house the other two I go through for anything interesting and they end up in the shop for future reference or give aways.

26. ...always been a paper magazine/book fan, just got the latest "Elapsed Times" special out by Car Craft; another good one,...and just read Chuck Berry's autobiography in paperback I picked up at a garage sale, great read.