Register now to get rid of these ads!

I can't get my 54 Chevy Truck to start (no spark)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobafet1, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh good...that's not so bad. Yeah, as long as the starter motor itself is strong, chances are you just need a new solenoid. Unless you have an alignmet problem. Or the starter isn't the right one for that engine, and the tooth spacing is different for the starter gear and the ring gear...there was a change somewhere along the line...I can't remember the years right now.

Hope you can get it to sound like: "RRR RRR Vroooooom...blum blum blum blum blum blum blum..."

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remove the fuel line from the carb...put the end into a jar or something. Crank the engine just a bit, and it should shoot out the line. If it does, it's obviously working. But actually, that tests the whole fuel system. If fuel doesn't come out, you won't know if it's a bad pump or just cloggage. You could do a bench test. Maybe that'd be best, especially in view of your cranking problem. Remove the pump. Test it by pumping the lever by hand while holding a finger over the inlet. If you feel good vacuum, it's working. And with the fuel line disconnected from the inlet side of the pump, fuel should flow out freely. If it doesn't, then you have cloggage. The obstruction could be right at the outlet of the tank, and you may have to stick a screwdriver in the hole to get the crap to come out...or even pull the tank and clean it out...hopefull not.

Btw...be careful with all the gas and fumes! DO NOT use a standard-type trouble light in the area. If one single drop falls on the light bulb, the bulb will burst, and you could have a fire. Best to use a fluorescent trouble light.

3. I just got done 12 volting a 48 Studebaker for a customer - sorta the same stuff as you're dealing with, so here's a couple things I will pass along, might help, might not. When I did the ignition, I used the internal resistance coil (NAPA IC14) and also changed the condensor to a 12V one (sorry don't remember the part#) I was pleasantly surprised to find the original style fuel pump was available at NAPA, complete with glass sight bowl. Everything seems to be working fine. Good luck!

4. bobafet1

bobafet1

Do you have a part number for that fuel pump? I just called Napa and the guy wasn't able to find it. However, I did get the sense that he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

5. bobafet1

bobafet1

So, the problem is most likely the fuel pump. I tried cranking the engine several times and noticed the pump never filled up with fuel. That's why I like this glass bowl type. Plus its so darn old-school looking I just can't get rid of it. I took off the fuel line that goes from the tank to the pump and created a siphon. The fuel started pissing out just fine. So, I'm taking the pump off now and heading out to find another and picking up a carb rebuild kit while I'm at it.

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think he is talking about a Stude fuel pump.

7. Bob, the fuel pump was a M958 Carter - but remember, it was for a Studebaker. I think Carter has an awful lot of these old pumps still available - Look for the right one for your truck on Rock Auto to get the part #. There are a few places out there that sell rebuild kits for the carb and fuel pumps that have new material to deal with the alcohol in the gas - When I took the old pump apart it had a pinhole in the diaphram and lots of "about to fail" cracks in it.The customer didn't want to pull the tank so I put a filter in front of the new pump to protect the pump and the newly rebuilt carb. Here's the crap that came out of the sediment bowl - that pile's 1/4" to 3/8" thick.

Attached Files:

8. Is this what you're looking for? There are several listed on EBay.

Attached Files:

9. Cymro

Cymro

This may be too basic, but it could be worthwhile to clean all electrical connections i.e. at the battery, solenoid and the earth to chassis lead, a poor connection here can have an effect when cranking the engine.

10. So your points weren't sticking? Mine aren't either...perhaps I should go try cleaning them with sand paper or a nail filer also. They didn't look dirty but it wouldn't hurt to try...

11. bobafet1

bobafet1

I'm not sure if they were sticking or not but all I know is that I did get spark soon after cleaning them up with sandpaper.

12. Well guys the truck is up and running, purrs like a kitten! Starter was having issues and rebuilt solonoid but starter needs to come out and pulled apart on the bench, all the years of sitting it has some issues and hope to fix them today. I will let Mike post what was up with truck since it's his. This truck is really nice and can only get nicer from here.

13. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Good to hear she's running again. Now, time to rethink the HEI?
    Dom

14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Good on you 55 for giving a hand if thats what im reading.

15. bobafet1

bobafet1

Yeah, he drove pretty darn far to help me out. I learned a lot and was able to get the truck running. I couldn't have been happier.

Thanks again Greg! aka 55dude

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2!

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yep! Pretty darn cool to hear car guys still around that help out when needed!

18. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Good deal,I see alot of help being spread out on the Hamb and its awsome.

19. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

So, what was the problem? Don't be embarrassed, we've all done bonehead things.....

I forgot to put the spring in a set of points, truck would idle perfectly, then sputter and pop when you gave it gas. Took me 2 days of swearing to find that.

20. Wow, you drove from Washington to Fontana!! You are a good guy. Just kidding, good for you helping out.

21. It was cool to hear it running like it should be. Mike had carb rebuilt and back on before I arrived and did killer job. Great to work along side someone that is on the same page and wants to learn about their vehicle. If anyone else needs some help PM me and lets see what we can work out.

22. bobafet1

bobafet1

There's nothing for me to be embarrassed about. I got the truck "as is". Whoever wired it before had the spark plug wiring all whacked out. It probably would have taken me another couple days to figure it out however Greg was kind enough to swing by and speed things up.