Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Pontiac Catalina Build "The Dahlia"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EastSidePoncho, Jun 21, 2013.

1. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

are u talking about my frame? its current but im going to start a build thread and back track it soon

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just saw this thread! I LOVE the build!! We have a '53 Deluxe Chieftain 2-door sedan. Will be watching this for inspiration!

I probably missed the post somewhere, but what did you do for suspension mods?

Love the trim plans! Nice and simple! Are you using the rear bumper corner over-riders too? Going to run the stock grille?

3. maddog1949

maddog1949

4. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Exactly my thoughts :D

5. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

please share the link when you do, I'd love to see it also ;)

6. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thank you. Suspension is stock right now (I had cut springs and blocks) but will be bagging the front being that I have the front clip off. I'm planning on doing a four link at the rear as soon as I find a rear end.

I have and am keeping all the bumper guards and wrap arounds...and I'm using the stock grill, its one of the many things I love about the 53. Aside from that the only other thing I'm changing is the headlamp bezels to 55 Buick.

7. SoCal

SoCal

Cool. Look forward to it. Cheers

8. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

I'd like to share another change in trim for the Poncho. I love the look of the visors I have on my headlamp bezels, but I've been looking for something a little more streamline.. So after looking at various makes and models Im happy to say a 1955 BUICK had the answer for me... Now I'm hoping I could make these work :)

[​IMG]

Alright fellas.. a little more of what you like to see..."Progress". mob53, here you go LOL.. Today was a great day, Not only did I find those bezels for a steal on ebay.. my buddy came over to test fit the mounts.. they should be fully welded and hard mounted by the weekend!

The Left side... and I'd like to thank 55chieftain for the idea of making a bracket to push the left mount forward.. it made things much easier..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The right side...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to know! I've been thinking about what to do for suspension on mine, so I'm always curious what other Poncho guys are doing. In the pictures with it sitting kind of low, how much was cut off of the coils and what size blocks? Looks nice!

I'm SOOO happy to hear you're running the stock grille! My car was missing the grille when I got it and went to great lengths to try and find one worth restoring. I love them as well!

Great progress!

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

11. mob53

mob53

Mounts look great! I see how you placed the driver's side mount to avoid the steering box. Good idea. I'm liking the 55 buick headlamps as well.

12. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thank you, I appreciate that!

Yeah... I feel that the Grill, waterfalls, and the shark fin are what make it a Pontiac.. Ive been looking for a 1950 grill to swap out from time to time so I know how much trouble you must have gone through..

As for the mods to the suspension, we cut two coils up front.. added four inch blocks and removed two leafs from the rear..also keep in mind the car is stationary, but it was sitting on the pumpkin..

13. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks mob53.. I haven't got the bezels yet but I'm hoping they'll work. I didnt really make any measurements or asked for dimensions and being that they seem to be pot metal, modifying them would be out f the question. I just figured they're round, a 55 Buick is a big car, and well so is my 53 there for they should work...lmao!! It's the same logic I used with the Olds trim and I got lucky there...lol.. maybe Ill get lucky twice! ;)

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the heads up on the springs! Good to know!

If you ever swap that grille out for an earlier one, please let me know. I may be interested. I have to have mine completely redone yet. And I'm totally in agreement with you. Ponchos have to have some of that signature trim on it. Everyone pulls the waterfalls, shaves everything so it looks more like Chevy. Always disappoints me. Yet that means trim parts become available for my car. :D

15. mob53

mob53

The waterfalls on the hood and trunk are what made me want a Pontiac in the first place. I never understood why anyone would take them off.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

My thoughts exactly!!

Will do.. and yeah I guess we have to get parts from somewhere...lol...

17. SoCal

SoCal

Any progress? Need our poncho fix!

18. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Well SoCal, we've had a few set backs, Mostly time constraints. I managed to do a few things though...

Here we are last night, figuring out a new trans crossmember...
    [​IMG]

This morning, while I was at work, my bro pulled the motor so we could have the mounts welded to the frame.. and by the way here are both right and left mounts :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also.. you all know by now that Im using Olds trim.. what you didnt know is that I didnt have the complete set. I was missing the right front spear.. Well, I finally completed the set and sent it out for repair and polish
    [​IMG]

and since I was at the polishers I brought back the Waterfalls I had dropped off earlier.
    [​IMG]

I hope the next update is a little more exciting...lol...

19. Looking great so far mate, just a tip though. The weld right under the bit of tube that the bolt runs though almost looks like its been done in a series of tacks. If thats the case it needs to be ground out and rewelded. The rest of the welds look pretty reasonable though!

[​IMG]

20. holt1

holt1

It would be cool to see it stay all Pontiac as I'm a Pontiac nut. Very cool car! The straight 8 is super cool for sure. They put out adequate power for cruising really. If you can find an aftermarket water pump and get an upgraded 4 core aluminum radiator that helps em greatly with staying cool which was half the battle with them. You also might can find something like a pertronix distributor possibly and make sure the carb is gone through thoroughly for dependability. I have no issue with points though. I always make sure their rebuilt with everything I can find to make them dependable. I always keep in mind that when stuff was new it probably worked pretty good. I had a kick only sportster chopper years ago that a bunch of guys doomed and gloomed about "can't take em outa town, kicker falls through, blah blah" and I proved em wrong. Big countershaft sprocket for the highway, new kicker parts all the way around and needle bearings instead of bushings for the counterweights on the timing advance weights. Rode at 75mph all day long. Got a dependable mikuni for it too off of a dirt bike. Rode all over New Mexico on it for years. Before that I rode a 62 Bonnie bobber everywhere for about six years.

I get long winded, sorry bout that. My point is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. People here prove over and over that old does not = Independable. Independable was always when I cut corners, did it halfway, cobbed stuff together. That is a sweet ass ride. Think of the heads that would turn if you showed up with that thing sporting the straight 8 on a run! They sound killer with straight exhaust through glass packs also. A Pontiac 389 would work too! :)

21. holt1

holt1

Oh yeah, from a die hard Pontiac nut, the olds taillight covers and trim are a killer idea! I thought about putting olds lenses on my '58 Chieftan but I've seen a couple '58's done that way already. I found some stock ones with chrome trim rings around them I'm going to put on mine. Can't wait to see yours with that put on! That's what was cool about the customizers back in the 50's. they would do stuff exactly like that. Pretty cool.

22. holt1

holt1

I was on my I phone earlier and didn't see this part of your thread! Apologies all around as you got you a motor. Very cool! Subscribing to your thread as this car is too killer and the links you posted and by others is going to be really helpful to me on my 58.

23. SoCal

SoCal

Any progress is good man. Trim looks great.

24. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Hey holt1, no need for apologies man, I enjoyed reading your posts. That 58 is bad ass, thats a car not seen very often. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

25. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks SoCal, here's another thing I forgot to mention. I was looking for a set of Tags and I happened to mention that to an Old Timer I know. He said I got some... so I bought them. Unfortunately the number is currently in use so no YOM for me, but I'm slapping them on anyway ;)
    [​IMG]

26. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

I think the Olds trim looks excellent on your car.

27. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thank you CRH..

28. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Alright cool cats here's the official update.. The engine is IN!!!! :D

Got up early this morning and had someone come and weld the mounts for me..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the guy was at it, my buddy came over with the Trans crossmember
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So fellas.. here it is, with no help from a hoist..
    [​IMG]

29. redzula

redzula

Ok now vet it running and take us for a ride lol looks good

30. TruckDrivingSOB

TruckDrivingSOB

If I missed it I'm sorry but what did you do with the 8? I'm looking for one for my 52 chieftain.