Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks great! Do you think a short bell 354 would fit without any firewall cutting? Bob

2. Thanks Howard!

Well, it's hard to say because I don't recall if your roadster is a 28/29 or a 30/31 and I don't remember if you're using a Model A frame or a 32 frame.

I would say you could fit a short bell 354 (exactly what I have) into a 30/31 Model A without cutting the firewall if you move the front cross member forward a couple inches. The distributor will be the problem. Just like on a SBC, the distributor goes further back than the heads.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well the '30 will be on '32 rails and the crossmember may move forward. Bob

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

How Bitchin' is that!? Congrats!!!

You know that hemi needs to be painted the same white as your firewall right?

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

What was the weight gain with the HEMI, any spring upgrades needed? Bob

6. MP&C

MP&C

7. Looking like Miss Vicky's getting ready for a ride!

8. So, when ya gonna come finish my Shoebox....or Chevy...or???

With your car at ride height, your carb mounting pad on the intake should be level front to back, which should put the tailshaft on your trans around 3 degrees down. A little bit one way or the other isn't a big deal.

And if you use a level to check it side to side, make sure the car/frame are level :eek::D

9. titus

titus

Looking good.

i did the same thing to a hot heads adaptor i had, trim off the fat!

JEFF

10. Yep, carb surface should be level.
    Oh, and cover that distributor hole. Don't want anything falling in there ;)

Looking great, Dave. I'm excited for you!

11. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Great progress Dave.

13. Sounds like a good plan Bob. ;)

Thanks man. The block and heads are going to be black, mostly because it'll be easiest to keep clean and touch up. A white or light colored engine in a car that gets driven will look like hell in no time.

I haven't weighed the engines myself, but according to Carnut,
    http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html
    a small block w/short water pump and I'd assume iron intake and heads weighs 575 pounds. A 331/354 with iron intake factory iron water pump, iron exhaust manifolds and iron intake weighs 729 pounds. That's a difference of 154 pounds.

I have tubular headers, an aluminum water pump, and aluminum intake, so I should weigh in at less than 729 pounds. Not sure about the front spring yet – I need to get the engine resting in the chassis first.

Thanks Dan, that's what I needed to know. Also, you don't need my help with your cars, but I'd be happy to come up for the day sometime and help you with whatever you're working on – I'm sure I'll learn something from you.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I was a little worried about cracking.

Thanks Martin. I actually had the distributor in the hole for most of the installation.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking great, man! Glad it "went right in"!

And yeah... What ClutchDumpinDan said. Manifold as level as possible, give or take. Then check your rear pinion angle to make sure things are complimentary with the rest of the drive line.

15. As you know, "went right in" is a relative term in hot rodding. My steering column points right into the back of the left head where it comes through the firewall, so I need to lower the column.

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Not that I'm an expert on the subject but the angle of the manifold doesn't have to be dead but on. Think of all the flatheads dropped in their stock location with no adjustment. Then the big and little combos that mess up that intake angle with no issues. Even my 35 with it's Hurst engine mount kit probably assumed 0* but 32.5" tall tires quickly thru that off by a degree or two.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. I guess it's like the 7 degree caster discussion.
    You gotta shoot for something...

18. Yep, and combine those 32 inch rear tires with considerably shorter front tires, a drop axle and reversed spring eyes and all bets are off.

I'll have to tell you my caster story sometime Martin. I guess I'll get the engine centered side to side and position it as close to level as the trans tunnel will allow and tack me some motor mounts in.

19. The carbs are rebuilt. My man OJ from Clark County Speed hooked me up big time. I'm sure they're going to run as great as they look.

dsc073582_zps07e824ad.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  20. Sweet!
    Now we need a pic with them on the engine ;)

21. Soon Martin, soon.

The carbs are still in transit back from Berryville, but I should have motor mounts in this weekend and then I'll begin reworking the steering column.

I actually had to buy a new column because I cut the old one too short to simply move down. I'm hoping I don't have to make a new column drop too.

22. That's sucks, Dave...
    But it'll be worth it in the end!
    Might as well order a second set of rear tires too! You'll need it :D

23. Made a little progress today. The hemi is officially sitting in the frame – I got the frame side of the motor mounts tacked in. I'm happy with the position of the engine and it's level side to side and pretty close front to back.

Gotta work out the steering now.

IMG_2577_zpsd33f8765.jpg

IMG_2584_zpsb12091e2.jpg

IMG_2580_zps1a51fe9c.jpg

IMG_2576_zpsc8242acf.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  24. Looking good Dave!

25. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Damn Dave,,,Thats some good shit right there, I don't care what anybody says. Our guy O.J does good stuff also. He ain't bad for a baldheaded old fart. Keep up the good work.

26. I like how you don't need blue tape on that frame for your measurements!

27. teddyt

teddyt
    from U.S.

Love the car,.......I have always wanted a Vicky. Finally I just gave up on the idea :(

28. Nice job. You'll be back on the road in no time.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell yeah! Looks great Dave!

30. Great job Dave. I am really enjoying following along with your build. You did say you were going to have it ready to drive to Karb Kings at Fredericksburg, didn't you? :rolleyes: