Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fauxtina paint job on a 63 Tbird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace'sSpeedshop, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

So most of you will probably have a problem with this but I just did my first fauxtina paint job on a real car. I did it for a friend, it was her daughters graduation present. When I got the car it was black(painted with a roller/paint brush in the early 90"s) with some Orange showing threw.I just did a quick sand down on the car and left all of the imperfections in the paint. The car looked good from about 40 feet away. All she wanted was for me to paint the car and make it look rusty. But I went out of my way to make it look like a vintage Holman Moody Nascar.I wanted this car to really stand out and be one of a kind It took me a month to finish the paint job. A week ago she was at a local Wa. car show and won "Best Paint". None of the rust is real it's all paint. Ol Skool Rodz/ Car Kulture Deluxe are doing a article on my fauxtina work. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

I think it looks killer... congrats dude...

3. Fucking lame. Who wants a rusty car?

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

It looks like it was really ready for real paint. Why do that to it? Fake rust? I'm sorry but I just don't get it.

5. Drive Em

Drive Em

Looks great. Some wider steelies would really look cool.

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

7. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Wish you lived on the right coast to do mine! Great job!

It's a dd for her, right? Can you imagine going into a grocery store and not thinking about your $15k shiny ass labor intensive time robbing paint job? What fun, she can really enjoy that one-off cool ride.

Nice work.

Cosmo with the '49 dd, only vehicle.

8. Very good work.

9. I think you did a good job.And another young person with a classic.
    But isn't that a 64-5-6?

10. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

11. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Honestly this car was a good month away from having any decent looking paint job put on it. This was just a quick way to make a unique car.

It's a dd for her, right? Can you imagine going into a grocery store and not thinking about your $15k shiny ass labor intensive time robbing paint job? What fun, she can really enjoy that one-off cool ride.

Nice work.

Cosmo with the '49 dd, only vehicle.[/QUOTE]

This is soon to be her daily driver. But yes I totally agree.

Yes this isn't the right year to be a Nascar. It was actually based after a Holman Moody 63 Fairlane 500xl. It's a "what if" car haha

Thanks for the mostly positive feedback.

poboyross likes this.
  12. carguy699

carguy699

each to his own I guess-but why???

13. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Im not wild about the fake rust. But in general the car looks cool. I like it.

14. barney rubble

barney rubble

That reminds me of my 63 Galaxie but I added the rust holes in with mine.

15. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I like it, very well done an a cool ride!

16. I guess I'd rather have fake rust than real rust. If it is what she wanted, and it gets her driving an old car instead of a Prius...than I'm all for it. Lighten up guys. Remember, this is supposed to be fun.

poboyross likes this.
  17. kracker36

kracker36

WTF? All cars should look a like. Shiny paint-----350 Chevy----350 trans.

poboyross likes this.
  18. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

It looks good. At first, I didn't think '63 was old enough or a Tbird the right car for a patina look, which I love. I'm glad to be wrong. Now she can tear down a gravel road and not worry about the paint, right?

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lmao!Kracker,you kill me Brother!
    To the OP:You did a fantastic job,your attention to detail was amazing,and all the weathering looks totally natural,not like some clowns who just run a pass over the whole car with a DA sander,throw some dirt on it,and call it good...lol
    People either love this style or hate it,and if they're gonna hate it,you'll never be blue to change their mind,nor should you care.
    Nice work.

Scott

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

You had me at Holman/Moody!:eek:

21. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Looks great to me, looks like rolling art in my eyes. Can you imagine the attention she is going to get driving that car? Guys are going to be climbing all over that thing. Dad is going to wish she did get a Prius!

22. El Bombero

El Bombero

I like it. I think it's cool to see different things done with paint. I really can appreciate the thought and execution that went into this. Every car doesn't need to be painted gloss paint. I think something like this is more of an art form and less of a production paint job. Sometimes we do things for the experience and the outcome, not just the final product. What the hell do I know I painted my roadster with a brush!!!

Mike

23. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

If someone does beautiful woodgrain painting on a dash, we all rave about how great it looks. If someone does wonderful patina on a car we tear him a new one. Go figure.
    The car is simply a canvas for the painter, and this guy has mad skills. LOOKS GREAT!

24. Good job outta you!

25. Why? Just... Why?

26. i like the graphics but the patina sucks, and never seen a race car with rust!

27. mechanic58

mechanic58

You shoulda just wall-papered it. Chicks dig that shit.

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Love the idea of doing a T Bird as a classic NASCAR vehicle, but I'd rather see it without fake patina.

29. slowmotion

slowmotion

Some of these guys would like a toothy smile on the Mona Lisa. You did a helluva job.

30. 4444Design

4444Design

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.