Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust removal.......the miracle of molasses!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Feb 5, 2011.

1. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

i'm curious about this as well.

2. nlualum82

nlualum82
    from Oregon

I got hold of a rusty '36 Chevy pickup grill shell with insert and trim ring to replace the one that got trashed by that hunk of 18 wheeler tread.
    Would you happen to know if that assembly contains anything the molasses would eat?
    I should be able to find a reasonable container being that the whole thing is less than 2'x3'.
    Funny stuff about eating it when you're done, but nobody thought about it fermenting into rum...

3. shooter6

shooter6

Bambbrose, I really believe they are using molasses in that link. The difference is they are heating it to about 400 degrees, therefore boiling the paint/bondo off. Ive seen other links to that company with a person putting thier hand in the cold solution. looks exactly like molasses mixture!

4. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

Well for me .my dip is nowhere near a power source,out in the open and sometimes I don't check it for a week two and time is not usually a concern

5. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I passed through the area today (Saturday).
    I went to the Co-op entrance in the back and the girl had no idea about the stuff. :(
    Ah well.
    Neat to see the Austin Mini on top of the garage next door for advertizing.

Attached Files:

6. nlualum82

nlualum82
    from Oregon

Got some!
    I was winding back from the Portland VA, checking out some craigslist stuff and saw a Coastal Farm Supply. Since it was just before closing time I rushed in there and asked and sure enough! They said they had just started carrying the stuff.
    Now I need something to soak my grill in without spending a fortune. I have a plastic trunk that I pack for 2 day car shows, don't want to mess it up, though. Can someone advise me what kind of plastic to line it with?
    Home Depot had some rolls of 6 mil stuff, but I didm't think that would handle it. My fallback plan is spending more than I intended on a huge plastic garbage can I found at Walmart.

7. holt1

holt1

this is pretty crazy but i'm going to try it for some stuff on the'58 poncho. Maybe I will spray it on the roof and wrap it up in plastic to see if it will work. Hard to find a tank to dip the whole chieftan in! lol.

8. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

go to a demolition yard and buy an old bathtub or a use a 44 gallon drum

9. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

I'm using the 6 mil, 3 layers thick, in a 24x24x48" bin. This is just over 100 gallons.

No problems so far but I'm being careful about putting and pulling the metal parts out. The roll of 6 mil is big enough to layer it 5+ times.

10. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I often use cement building blocks to make a "tank" in the shape that I want.
    Then I line it with 6 or 8 mil plastic or an old rubber air mattress chopped open.
    When I use the thinner plastic I usually place a cheap tarp on top of the plastic to help from stabbing the plastic with the item I'm dipping.
    I've never had one collapse but I usually wrap the walls with a rope or wire in case the pressure of the liquid tries to move the blocks.
    I've mostly done this for electrolysis but I'm sure it would be good for molasses as well.

11. shooter6

shooter6

holt1, thats exactly why I tried the shower approach, now I just need to buy either a pool pump or large pond pump & take it to full size. I have a 49' chevy that I did the phosphoric acid approach & a 27 essex. still need to do the frame, undercarriage & insides of the 49 & the entire 27' too.

12. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

This is a 25000 l/t tank ,holds 30 tonnes Molasses I sell , put the whole car in this ;)

Attached Files:

13. dadseh

dadseh

I'll have some of what Kuztom is smokin!

14. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Giant pic, but this is my windshield frame after 9 days in the dip.

The frame came from the same body that it is sitting on in the picture to give a before/after feel. Stuff is pretty amazing.

Attached Files:

15. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I made a batch using the dry molasses and it worked great. I did have a problem with major flash rusting before i got the parts washed. They were white metal clean when i took them out and piled them up .I pressure washed the pile to get rid of the molasses and they were rusting before we could get the parts washed and dry.What can i use to wash them and stop the flash rust.

16. RR496

RR496

Learn something new everyday!

17. NORSON

NORSON

Flash rust - Covered earlier in the thread. Use metal prep/phosphoric acid. Kills flash rust and keep it from rusting. I have partsa cleaned two years ago and still rust free. Remove parts one at a time, wash down and treat with prep. repeat ONE_AT_A_TIME!!!! Or they will flash rust.

Attached Files:

18. stormin1

stormin1

i ate some after using it to clean tons o' parts. it tasted yucky n' made me dizzy.... can you tell?

19. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I had planned to use an etching primer i have but i think thats a no no with phosphoric acid .correct?
    Are there any other solutions to keep it from flashing?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  20. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

21. 22george

22george
    from ohio

I use a 500 gallon stock tank - hinged the top. 50 gallons of molasses and 450 gallons of water. left 2fenders in for 6 weeks came out great. cleaned and painted with epoxy primer right away. This was 2 years ago. Put some steel pipe , forgot about them - left them in for 2 years - pulled them out last month. they were cleaned of rust. no ill affects from being in there so long. The mixture smell will make you hurl.

22. chopped

chopped

How much does molasses cost you? Seems 50 gal would be huge.

23. 22george

22george
    from ohio

I got it at the feed store. They sell it in bulk. It was #2 a gallon. I had them put it in a 55 gallon drum to get it home

24. chopped

chopped

Well played . I on the other hand paid $9.00 for a gallon.

25. NORSON

NORSON

I bought a 55 gal barrel two years ago for $99. I found it was too hard to pump into my tank, so I paid $9.00 for 3.5 gals. each. It was easier. What was the shape and size of the 500 gal tank. I want one. $100 is the cost of cleaning ONE part at a commercial outfit. Norm

26. 22george

22george
    from ohio

the tank is about 3-1/2 feet in diameter and 6 foot long. I laid it on its side - the round part, cut the top off to make an access door. I built a metal frame out of 1 inch square tubing, and bolted it to the inside of the tank where l made the cut to keep the tank from sagging from the weight of the water and molasses. I hinged the "door" for access. I put a valve on the bottom to drain it when necessary. I made a framework out of concrete blocks and 2x4s to set it on and keep it from moving

A little long winded, but hope this helps.

27. austinhunt

austinhunt

I'm looking at feed grade, NON-sulfated.

Will this stuff work at all?

By the way, great thread. Thanks to all!

28. eicke

eicke

Paid $48 for 25 gallon at a feed mill. Cut the top off an IBC container. Stuff works great but smells like dirty old socks. Flash rusts before your eyes........pretty much the same that everyone else have been saying. If it would only replace rusted-thru metal. ;)

-Ron

29. for flash rusting - would a tank next to it with just water to dunk it in prior to the power wash help ?

30. chopped

chopped

I get a bucket with some soap, the air hose and a squirt bottle with phos and do it in a hurry.