Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1958 Ford Fairlane 300 - I haz one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mechanic58, Aug 8, 2013.

1. mechanic58

mechanic58

lol...I bet it was fast with that 389 in there.

Been tinkering on the old 223 today. I have determined that the main "stuck" is in #1 and#2. Yesterday I pour all the cyls full of var-sol and let it soak down over night. By this morning it had all drained past in every cyl except #1 - that cyl still had some in it, but most of it had drained past. This is a good sign. I poured a few ounces of Coke in those first two cyls later this morning and took the valve cover off to check for stuck valves. There's a few, but they're not too bad. I can move them back and forth. I poured about a gallon of diesel fuel in the crankcase also. IF by chance I can get this thing broke loose, I don't want to get into a hurry and start it up and cavitate the oil pump. It's probably going to be risky no matter what action I take. The best bet would probably be to drop the pan before the start attempt. We'll see how it goes. If anyone can get it running it'll be me, I'm pretty good at these sorts of challenges.

I spent the better part of the afternoon working on that fucking starter. I kinda feel cheated almost - that thing took up almost 4hrs of my time today. I ended up having to rig it up in a clamshell and get it on my press and press the bendix off the shaft. That fucker was stuck on there tighter than dick's hatband. It's all back together now though, works good. Now if the engine would just come loose....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

These 50's Fords all used a front sump oil pan so what ever donor you go with you want a front sump pan.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Congrats and best of luck on your new project!

Like some others have already said in response to your questions:

Most likely a 223. Definitely a 9" rear.
    I noticed you called this a Fairlane 300 - it's actually a Custom 300 model. (same as my first car)

Here are some pages that will help you decode the vin #:
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialno_49-59VINdecode.htm
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumber-patentplate_49-59partA.htm
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumber-patentplate_49-59partB.htm

Malcolm

4. chstitans42

chstitans42

Keep up the work and keep posting! It would be awesome to see you bring this one back to life!

5. mechanic58

mechanic58

It would be a lot of work to restore this car, however I think it would probably be a good candidate for a body off. It's in good shape in all the right places. I do so much wheeling and dealing on junk - if I trace this particular deal back far enough I can honestly say that I actually have "no money" whatsoever invested in this car. It's a freebee. I've eaten these words PLENTY in the past - but I am liable to end up keeping this car. I really like it.

It needs a radiator support - was crammed full of mud at the bottom and rotted it out. I wonder if reproduction floor pans are available for it? It needs the full monty there - but the trunk pan is excellent. Also wondering if I can get a new gas tank for it.

6. Fidget

Fidget

Good score. Not a lot of 58's still around, fewer still with the 6 banger in it. If you decide to part it out, let me know. I could use a couple trinkets for mine.

Attached Files:

7. Fidget

Fidget

I guess I should have looked at your slide show first. There's a lot of rust out! The odd thing is you also have a lot of desirable parts that look intact. The trim package looks straight, you have the auxiliary heater with the emblem, the spare well in the trunk is usually rotted completely out, the ribbed roof used to be a popular switch to other hot rods, the curved glass looked good too. Mixed bag you got there!

8. Looks pretty solid for one just hauled out of a field. Good catch. If you can get that 6 (probably a 223) turning free, you can probably fire it up. Looks like somebody just stopped driving it and parked it. Those Ford sixes are hard to kill, and there was some performance equipment made for them back in the day, company by the name of Almquist comes to mind. Post some pictures of the mystery rear end--I thought all '57-'59 Fords had a 9" rear. I could be wrong.

9. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

Nice score! I like these old '50s Fords! Yea, it's a little rusty but we've all seen guys start with a lot less and make some really sweet rides. This one's a good candidate for sure!

10. mechanic58

mechanic58

Actually, there's really not that much serious rust on this car. I do not consider floor pans to be serious rust - even if they're completely gone. The car doesn't have any rust on any of the structural areas of the body, no rust around any of the window frames either. In my opinion, the worst rust on it is the bottom of the radiator support - its completely gone from having been packed full of mud. Looks the car was run off road quite a bit.

There is a pic of the rearend in that slideshow. See the first post for the link. I looked at it closer today, I do believe it is a 9". It just has an older style housing that I am not used to seeing.

11. mechanic58

mechanic58

I will add that there is not one tiny bit of damage on any of the stainless trim on this car. It is pristine. The car sat in the same spot in a pasture in Whitney, TX for almost 40 years. Then just last year it was removed and relocated to a shed at a Corvette restoration shop in Aquilla, TX. That's where I got it from. I have a feeling the car was run until it was wore out and just parked. Every moving part on it was seized up - except for the wheels. I figure the brakes must be completely gone...lol.

12. chstitans42

chstitans42

It just is one thing at a time. Check out my effort of bringing back a car from the dead:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782085
    Mine had been sitting from 1970 to March of this year. Took a few months to get her road worthy but I am now driving it about three times a week. Im sure yours will turn out just as good. Most people get overwhelmed by projects like this, but I live for them.

13. mechanic58

mechanic58

Did you buy that car off of craigslist here in Texas? There was a '58 Chevrolet about like that on there awhile back. I remember seeing it.

14. chstitans42

chstitans42

Yes it was on the Dallas CL, I believe in Keller TX. Bought it back in March sometime around there.

15. mechanic58

mechanic58

I knew it! I marveled over that car.

16. chstitans42

chstitans42

Good thing you did not go see it in person, because you would have had to buy it! That is what happened to me, I sat inside, checked out all the upholstry, and said I HAVE to own this car. Hopefully yours will run soon and we cant wait to see if you get the engine un stuck!

17. mechanic58

mechanic58

I been tinkering with it some more today - the prognosis is not good. It is going to be very unlikely that I will be able to get the engine loose without disassembling it. I just can't get a good enough gouge on it. The crank bolt just isn't beefy enough and I don't want to bust teeth off the flywheel. None of the fluid I put on top of #1 and 2 yesterday has drained past. It's pretty well ruined I figure.

18. chstitans42

chstitans42

You could pull the head and see what you are working with. Have you tried Marvel Mystery Oil? Its kinda pricey, but I have seen it work wonders.

19. mechanic58

mechanic58

Yeah, I could pull the head - but those front two cylinders are so badly damaged that even if I could get it freed up, running it would caused even more damage. Probably the only way this engine will salvage is if I take great care disassembling it. Which is probably what I will do, just not anytime soon. I have a nice dry shed that I will park it in until I get time to yank the engine out of it.

I'll have to figure a way to get it into my press and build something to push those two pistons out with. Hammering just tears up too much shit. I have even seen people bust cylinder walls that way.

I swapped a couple better wheels onto it today - with tires that hold air, etc. While I was messing with it I checked out the rearend a little closer. It's definitely a 9" and it has a 3.70 gear in it. Excited about that. Maybe I'll find me a good 472/500 Cadillac with a long shaft 400 to drop in it and go racing!

20. chstitans42

chstitans42

there is another good idea, toss the old siezed engine and find a straight 6 ready to drop in. CL is a good place for that!

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D If you wanted to stick with an inline 6,why don`t you try a 300 ci Ford 6?
    It has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the sbf,so you would have a world of choices for a tranny.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. mechanic58

mechanic58

If I stick with a 6 - it'll be THIS 6. If I decide to discard this engine after I get it apart then there is no telling what'll end up in there.

23. Good to see someone working on a such a cool car, I'm presently in the middle of restoring a 58 custom 300 too. I drove it home to OC from East LA on 4 working cylinders, about 17 years ago, scrounged down some doors and misc sheet metal. Yanked the engine and then it sat for 15 years at the side of my house. My older boy (13) decided he wants it for when he turns 16 to head to and from home to high school. Well the pulled engine has turned into a crusty mess of metal, we tracked down a working 223 from a 55 customline for cheap, rebuilt, chrome accessories, etc, tracked down a slew of miscellaneous parts (NOS motor mounts, nut/bolt/gasket packages) and we're almost good to go. Got to do some body work and bumper straightening as the bumper has moved from place to place over the past 15 years and looks like a boomerang for some reason. Will post pictures as we move along. Best of luck on your project. Mine is a 4 door.

24. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Pictures have vanished....

25. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I'm parting out a '58 Country Squire Woody Wagon. I can't save them all. IT WILL BE CRUSHED BY FRIDAY. It is not mine but I can pick on it. PM asap if interested.

26. chstitans42

chstitans42

All we know is it was put up for sale on CL for $750. Guess the stuck motor did not un-stick