Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Better Late than Never - SYMCO SHAKEDOWN #5 - Aug 9-10, 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cliffy, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Are you stalking me? Gotta put Symco on that map, it is 40 some miles from Oshkosh. If you used the mailing address on the website, that is my shop. LOL I get a handful of people who show up there every year for the show.

2. per Tudor Jeff, that rule should be 1934 and older, I didn't want to go back that far(and I am sure Jeff is right).....so the question is, what should our cutoff year be? To me the 35-37 ford trucks look right...but that doesn't mean someone would actually have made one back before 1964 without fenders. Anyone want to make a comment on correctness with knowledge to back it up? We want to get this right. And Jeff is right, the rule is specifically for the 40's and 50's truck cab rat rods. But where does the line be drawn in the sand?

3. ...how bout this one?...isn't this a 38 or newer cab?
    [​IMG]

4. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

We could do this all day Sam, yes it's a newer cab, yes it's reasonably cool. And I'm sure people could post more and more pictures of truck cab vehicles that are good looking. But believe it or not, people see vehicles like these and then think it's alright to build a stretched out spider web and rubber rat infested shit box because they "started with the same cab".

Plus will there really be that many "of the cool good looking versions" driving up to northern Wisconsin for the show, no. Would there be a bunch of the stretched out ratty versions at the show if we let them, yes. Would this piss off the die hard participants and spectators who tell us every year how much they like the show because of the stuff we do not let in, yes!

I've tried to "quantify" the rules for the Symco Shakedown. That means every rule has a number associated with it to make it clear cut. These art car crap boxes make it difficult to associate a number with the decorations they often put on them. Everyone who is signed up on the HAMB should "know it when they see it", but it's really hard to put a quantified description on paper of what we don't want in the show.

That is the reason for the year cutoff of the truck cab-based vehicles. Over the years we have seen these to the be main offenders and the main source of what we do not want inside the Symco Grounds. Like Cliffy said, I personally wanted the year cutoff for fenderless vehcles to be '34.

5. I'm on board with Jeff 100%. Art car shit boxes aren't welcome. You want to know why the HAMB hates rat rods? Sit at the gate of a traditional show that turns them way and you'll figure it out quick. Guys that build cars for personal attention get pretty nasty when they are turned away. Its sad to watch. They don't get it at all. Most of the time they don't understand we aren't judging taste we are judging correctness and they take it personal. We don't give a shit you paid $40,000 to have someone build your ride. We don't give a shit some soccer mom likes to look at your rubber rat and crybaby doll! We DO give a shit when you come to enjoy the show and have fun!

Please come to the Symco Shakedown. It's not a car show! It's summer camp for hot rodders. Aug 9-10, 2013.

6. That HRCC built car is awesome but it doesn't mean it is a period correct ride. Doesn't mean we don't like it. Just doesn't fit our criteria the way it is written now. We can't be perfect and our criteria is always up for debate. If we are proved that something is 1964 or back we will let it in. We change rules every year to get closer. Some day we will figure it out. Big thing to remember is we stick to our criteria. Too many other shows worry about admission $$ and let anything in to bump sales.

Please come to the Symco Shakedown. It's not a car show! It's summer camp for hot rodders. Aug 9-10, 2013.

7. ...stick to your guns, yer doin it rite.

8. slammed

slammed

Yes, never waver and the silly cars will stay away. Strict the whole way. If I get lucky, (I am paid every 45 day's) and snag a detail job I may be able to swing into this one for a day.

9. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

can we get a sneak peek at this years t-shirts?

One week away!

10. Gerg

Gerg

my car is not ready but I sure am looking forward to this show. It's going to be a busy week hopefully i can get the 62 back on the road in time. If not I will still be there to party like a rockstar with everyone!

11. 62Furious

62Furious

Just looking to see what bands are playing this year

12. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

13. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

I have not yet received any verification of my pre-registration campsite entry ...have verifications been mailed out yet?

14. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

I received my pre-registration last week in the mail. Maybe they are going out in batches.

15. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

Mine showed up in the mail yesterday so all is well :)

16. x-shift

x-shift

I have an important update regarding the Minibike Drags at Symco. There are many changes being made for the better, and we want to continue to make this part of the show safe and successful.

Because of the growing interest in the Minibike Drags, we are forced to introduce some new rules and guidelines. These are being put in place not only for liability reasons, but also to keep this a smooth running and safe show for all involved. We hope you will respect our decisions, and understand that this in the best interest for everyone. Thanks for your participation!

Attached Files:

17. I have 99% of the registrations out. Ill be calling the last few to make sure they know they are late and everything is okay. It snuck up on me this year and we are up a lot more from last year.

Check the band lineup on the website. I'm going to make a couple last minute changes but it is close to complete.

Please don't email me or call me unless it is an emergency. I have a lot to get ready in the next three days!! If you have waited until now to ask about camping or vehicle criteria.... Just post on here and someone will probably answer it. Or just Show up. We are usually pretty easy to deal with at the show.

You want a sneak peak? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375679781.492482.jpg
    Limited edition stickers.

Show shirt design ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375680122.269842.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375680130.952326.jpg

Pinstripe shirt ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375680147.835064.jpg

F100 logo shirt ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375680160.985050.jpg

And we have some more stuff too!

Thanks to Marcy who has done somewhere close to 5000 shirts for us now!!! Always excellent quality and service!

18. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool shirts, looking forward to going.

19. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

Shave the squirrels and break out the mayonnaise, mount the handlebars to the headboard! Only 3 days and 20 hours left to the Shakedown!!

20. 62Furious

62Furious

Jeff thanks for the Thread Have to work but will be rolling in late Friday night

21. outlaw57

outlaw57

can't wait, be there thursday night!

22. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I'm almost ready. Been working on new art the last two weeks. Can't wait to meet some new Hamber's and hang out and see some great cars while trying to sell some artwork. Heading out tomorrow, should be there in early afternoon.

23. Tin Can

Tin Can

Looking forward to the show. 4 of us are heading out early Friday morning

24. Totally stoked to be going again this year (last year was my first). Having the new motor in the Biscayne tuned and running hard helps too!

25. It's lookin like I'll be there.

26. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I will be there, all I hope is for a camping spot down by the river. It's just easier to find my tent when it's downhill from the keg...

27. wisdonm

wisdonm

I'll be there Fri.. I'm working camping/swap meet from 5-8 pm. Then it's time to partyyy.

28. SBCWelder

SBCWelder

We're rolling out from the Illinois state line tomorrow morning. See you guys Friday afternoon

29. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Headin out of Iowa in the morning with only four of our cars but ready to rock!!

30. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

Awesome weather, great cars, the freshest cheese curds ever, cold beer, and yes wait for it ..... KENT'S BIG BAR!
    I'm in heaven!!

P.S. please bring back the engine raffle.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!