Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 235 chevy starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Guys pulled a 235 starter apart today and found a spring behind starter drive ass. on armature shaft. I do know V8 chevy starters don't have one Been some time since I had 235 starter apart and don't recall them having one. Can anyone confirm that spring being there is incorrect? Thanks.

2. mechanic58

mechanic58

I'm pretty sure the spring belongs there. It helps to disengage the bendix after you let off the starter pedal.

3. Your thinking inside the solenoid i'm talking about inside starter housing.

4. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

5. mechanic58

mechanic58

No - I'm thinking about an earlier model starter than you have, apparently. I had in mind the type used on an early 50's pickup with the foot pedal for engaging the starter.

6. Yes that is what I needed to see. The truck is 1954 and has a pushbutton on dash, just been awhile since i had ripped into older starter. Mechanic58 thanks also as I had forgotten about the early starters with the mechanical linkage. The starter is in newer moter, 58-62 235. It was worn and rebuilt on on the way. Thanks.