Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new project...Survivor channeled Deuce Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thequietwon, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Twenty years from now will anyone be arguing to preserve a smoothie, billet laden Boyd clone from the 1980-90's? After all it did represent the "tradition" of the times! :D

2. I do...

Did anyone think 70's stye cars and vans would come back? No, and now look at them

3. Lurk king

Lurk king

Seriously I don't think you need photo shop for that. It would look like every other 32 ford highboy roadster!

4. using the art world analogy; would it be wrong for Leonardo to paint over a not so pretty painting done by someone else?
    Document the history...make it better...don't look back.

5. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

My two cents, that thing is dog-ass ugly. Do it the way you want and enjoy it.

6. Right now it's not like everything else. If you can't get it comfortable, sell it to someone who will enjoy it and build another one to fit you.

7. jim galli

jim galli

As a parallel, go to google images and type in 'model a speedster'. This is all stuff that's getting built . . recent. What a bunch of dog dirt ugly stuff.

My point is it's the same today as it was yesterday, for every 1,000 cars that got hacked up to be a 'hot rod' about 3 came out proportionally and aesthetically pleasing.

The traditional stuff that I see pictures of on the hamb, little better ratio, but there's plenty of stuff being built today that's just as ugly as all the stuff that was laying around behind garages when I was a kid 45 years ago. We knew it was junk then. It's still junk now.

8. b-bob

b-bob

The op could just say, to hell with the politics and sell it to someone else and the next owner may take it home and change it and nobody would know because they didn't post it on here.

9. autobilly

autobilly

I'm short enough to not have to change it. Save history and allow someone to enjoy driving it.:D

10. That thing rules. I love quirky old hot rods. They say so much about the builders.
    Sell it to someone shorter and buy a Brookville body and make whatever you want?
    If you pull the fenders and nerf bars and windshield and wishbone... It's just another deuce anyway right?

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

Yeah, I often see hiboy deuce roadsters wearing 50's laquer paint, 50's interior, molded hinges, etc.

Rich

12. thequietwon

thequietwon

This was exactly my plan originally. And it still is. Funny thing is, if I had just done it in the first place and didn't post these pics, no one would probably ever know the difference. Thanks for adding the pics to this thread...
    Sam

13. thequietwon

thequietwon

This thread has been alot of fun, but here is the deal. I bought this car because I want a Deuce roadster. I didn't buy it because I like the way it looks. I looked past all the ugly bullshit and I see what she can...no, will be. When I build it, she will still be a survivor...and a very tasteful one.
    I am not going to undo everything on the car-the paint, interior, z'd frame,and drive train will stay. The fenders & nerf bars will go, as well as the goofy front end.
    I am not made of money. To buy this car took most of my savings. I cannot afford to just look at it. So once again, I remind you-this car was for sale at the biggest show in the country. NO ONE was interested. Since this thread has started, NOT ONE PERSON has contacted me wanting to save this car from her horrible fate. Funny, several people have contacted me wanting to buy the rough roadster project for which I was there to buy subrails in the first place.
    So once again, if anyone wants to step up, I am all ears. It won't be dirt cheap...but I will sell it. Why won't it be dirt cheap you ask? Because I will be out a nice Gennie body. The only other nice Roadster project I am currently aware of (that may be available) is 35,000. If you have a nice Gennie car or project and are interested in trading, let's talk. If you truly do think I am the devil for actually wanting to make this car drivable (desirable, even?), then step up and buy the damn thing. Once again, I have never flipped a car in my life, but there is a first time for everything.
    Sam

14. I've been watching this thread since there were only two replies. I've been waiting for the OP to say "well, I got an offer and sold it" but I honestly didn't believe that someone was gonna do it. I can't wait to see how Your car turns out! Good luck and have fun with it.

Crazy East coasters..

Isn't conforming to non-conformity still conforming?

15. hallrods

hallrods

16. SimonSez

SimonSez

Didn't see anyone else comment on this point, so thought I would clarify this.

The OP said earlier that the body still has the original sub-rails in it, and was channeled by cutting off the cross-pieces and sliding the chassis in through the body above the sub-rails.

So without butchering the sub-rails which would be a real shame, the only real option for un-channelling it is all the way back to a high-boy.

Another point about selling it as is, is that the price has to be high enough so that the next owner doesn't see it as a project and change it all anyway.

Glad I don't have to decide what to do with it!

17. SAVE IT AS IS!
    Build what you really want.......
    My .02

18. Mart

Mart

Well said Sam.

Can't fault your logic.

Mart.

19. Leviman

Leviman

I have to admit, currently the car is pretty ugly.

20. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I've read through this whole thread and a few times I had to give my head a shake at some of these responses.
    I understand it is a survivor, maybe not the nicest example of how east coast cars were, but it is all there and intact as a good example.
    I understand it is your car, and a car is meant to be driven, not have 10 pages of debate on its fate. I say change what you want to change, drive it and enjoy it. That's what this is about, not letting it sit.
    That being said I personally like the car the way it is, all I would provably do is narrow those nerf bars and paint the fenders body color, but I am also 5'8 and could probably drive it as is.
    Excellent car and a lot of history, but now it is time you make your own history with it! Look forward to seeing what you do.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just remembered a really nice 32 3 window in Rodder's Journal. It was all original, and kept like that except the owner had Dave Simard chop the top. It was done so nicely it blended right in with the car's old paint, and design. So there's an example. Good luck with your changes, just save the old parts.

22. longgoner

longgoner
    from western ny

thanks for taking the time and stuff to share the pictures and story.... really hope they continue.

thumbs up to post 163 .... lock the doors, do what you what to do, and smile

23. You are doing the right thing Sam,,,all these save the history comments haven't been backed up with any cash buyers willing to spend their hard earned money to preserve the car in it's present state.

I have seen with my own eyes what Sam is capable of,,go for it,let the debauchery begin,,I'm subscribed!:D HRP

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I wish I had the money to buy it, but I don't!

I wish you don't un-channel it, but I can't stop you!

If it was my car, I would only chance broken!!!

And for the love of G@D, stop calling it ugly! It aint ugly, it's still a deuce!
    Love the car!

If there is something wrong with the handlig, fix it. If the steering wheel is hitting your man parts change it, if the collum is to long change it.
    If you don't like the fenders or nerf bar take it of.
    Might be able to make something nice and driveable.

But if you unchannel it, you just as well can cut out the dash, scrap the hood/fenders and
    And make sure that there won't be any trace left of the first build, and start over with body frame and leave history in the ditch with "two in the head".

Or put nicer; you can't have a cake and eat it. Go all in.

25. Look at the ugly windshield on this POS...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375994029.812423.jpg

;)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App Sucka!!!

26. I was told as a child,If wishes were horses all beggars could ride!,,but they ain't! :rolleyes: HRP

27. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I hope you will give us a build thread. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

28. best thread on here in a long time. has to be one of the ugliest 32s I have ever seen. Im glad that someone bought it with balls enough to realize this and is not scared to fix it. I hope you have fun building it and keep us posted. man that thing needs to be rescued so bad I would volunteer time just to help be a part of it.

29. I would look at what it would cost to build exactly what I want to build and then try to sell the survivor for as much as possible to someone who will want to keep it that way.
    I had a car that was just too clean to mess with. I loved it and hated it at the same time. I loved it becasue it was near perfect. I also hated it because it was near perfect. That meant I could do nothing to the car without feeling guilty. So I sold it and purchased a project that I could feel better about building the way I wanted.
    I still miss the other car too, but I only had room for one. So it goes...

30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes, but I won't be one of those guy, who tells him what he HAS to do with HIS car!
    But I'm more then willing to give my two cents.

You did'nt see me telling Gene to build his moonlighter, but he did everything like I would have. But better then I ever could.

But I would litarely cry, if he unchannels this car and paint it black with red rims.! There are something that could be improved, but cutting it up is a major loss, IMHO!!!!