Register now to get rid of these ads!

59 Apache front Suspension??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Engineer, Aug 9, 2013.

1. The Engineer

The Engineer

Hi All,

I want to put a Cummins 6BTA 5.9 diesel in my 59 chevy apache and us it as a daily driver, so I have decided to go the Mustang 11 route, (I know I know why dont I stick with the I beam)
    well firstly the engine is stupid heavy (975lbs) so I want power steering preferably rack and im looking to get the truck quite low on the front keeping a decent suspension travel.

so who do we reccomend for the heviest rated Mustang 11 or IFS??
    any advice on this would be greatly apprecciated.

Thanks Jeremy :D

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey , not a stock mustang II , check with some suppliers , go with the biggest rotors and calipers , and let them know the weight for spring selection..you could keep the straight axle and upgrade to heavy leafs and big brakes , add a power saginaw box cross steering setup..would cost more to MII . keep us posted...mac

3. R Pope

R Pope

That diesel will mash the MII flat!

4. cryobug

cryobug

5. The Engineer

The Engineer

I spoke to Fatman and all they kept saying was ooohh, thats never been done, so they werent very helpful to be honest..:(

This is my concern!!:eek:

There is a 1928 dodge sedan running around with a cummins in it on a what looks like 30's Ibeam car axle and it seems to have stood the test of time, been around a few years now?

6. The Engineer

The Engineer

thanks for the sugestion but I already have the engine, the 4BT is 200lbs lighter but also has half the horsepower at 105hp where as the 6bta I have pushes out 215hp which I intend to tine up considerably, also the sound of the six is much better than the four pot. :D

7. oldolds

oldolds

Straight axle, power steering box conversion, Big disc brak conversion. Only way to go with what you are planing. A well tuned straight axle set-up will ride and handle fine. A few million 18 wheelers can't be wrong.

The Engineer likes this.
  8. Leave the stock axle in the truck as its gonna handle the weight of the diesel engine.

9. 33willysgasr

33willysgasr

Another alternative that a lot of people use is put a Camaro/nova subframe in it if you're stuck against using the I-beam, that way you get more modern handling a wide variety of spring choices and readily available parts to be able to work on it.

10. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

IMHO the Mustang II spindles are way too light weight!!! I don't like the fact they were on my 56 pick-up when it bought it. I mine only has the 327 cu in engine. Yes, it is still in there.
    Ford did not make the Mustang II units any heavier duty than needed for the light weight Mustang II.
    I would check out a 66 or so Chevy pick-up front suspension. They are a bolt in cross member, you may need to narrow it for the 59 track width, and uses a cross steer. I adapted a later model GM power steering unit to my 66.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yep.

12. classic gary

classic gary

that's a bunch of weight on a "four cylinder" suspension. Springs are not the worry, the a arms and spindles and pot holes are the worry.........and i would not be suprised to hear the power rack and pinion "blew up" trying to steer the thing.

13. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Howbout a Jag XJ6 /XJS IFS? They're pretty stout as the cars are heavy. Sweet ride.

14. mechanic58

mechanic58

Um....a Cummins diesel on top of a Mustang II suspension? Yeah. You're probably going to need some parts out of one of these:

[​IMG]

15. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

A '94-'98 Cummins is my favorite motor. Doesn't matter if its a 6 or a 4. I would use a 4bt before I would doghouse the firewall to make a six fit. The six is smoother. While the six is heavier, the power to weight ratio for the 4 is not as good. Although both motors respond to the same tuning upgrades. If using a 4bt, it is worth finding one with a stock 130 hp rating. The P7100 injection pump has a lot more potnetial for power upgrades.

The straight axle with leaf springs will handle the weight much better. The Cummins is a tall motor. Oil pan clearance is usually tight in 4WD applications. That might dictate how low you can drop it.

16. using the Camaro clip might get you some extra room for that tall Cummins :D

17. The Engineer

The Engineer

Thanks for all the input guys, I know disc brake conversions are available for 55-59 chevy trucks but are dropped spindles also available??
    if so the I-beam might be more appealing....

18. Gator

Gator

On a straight axle "dropped spindles" aren't normally used, rather the axle is 'dropped' - heated and bent to lower the ride height. You can have yours dropped or buy one already one.

I have disc brakes, monoleaf springs, and a CPP power steering conversion on the straight axle on my '55 - I'm installing a Camaro clip this winter so it will all be for sale... ;)

19. Mustang II components are a lot more stout than many realize. The upper ball Joints are the same as Lincoln Continent from the 70 (Big Boats) and Edsell's among other things. The bearing sizes are similar to many Big Ford. tie rod ends are large, etc.
    I've seen MANY big Block cars with MII front ends under them with no issue - but you are talking another 300+ pounds so it may be a bit too much in this applicatation

20. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I with this one^^^ that will take the weight, plus you got a lot of spring options if you need something heavier.
    See how it sits and handles, then drop the axle if needed.
    I love my dropped axle setup.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!