Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Good enough to send him some laugh's and funny material. Watched him do a frame off on a cutlass(72) and he restored a 65 falcon and the station wagon he is now driving. Rose was next in the garage (those cars were practice) and he lost his garage, as his friend was injured in a car accident and had to sell the property it was located at.

2. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

He started having health problems and it took them I believe he told me 3 years to figure out the exact cause. Meniere's disease (spelling)? That's why he started working out of his own garage. Pretty nasty actually I had to give him a ride home a few times as he was violently i'll and dizzy. Has been getting treated for it and say's has had better results now that they pinned it down. BUT that there is NO CURE and things can change at any time. I did a small amount of research on it but plan to do more as I have never heard of it.

3. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Thanks for posting those pics Butch. Yeah those are 2 cool shots of 2 cool cars. Real cars. I see Head NED is looking forward to the Junior Stock contingent in 2014. There is still plenty of time left to prepare and the stage at York is large enough to hold a ton of people. In the past years I've seen several of the main guys from the era travel from North Carolina and even Florida to be part of it, albeit it without their old cars but it didn't matter. Last years long hauler was from Texas and his car is in these pictures. We had an awesome impromptu meeting in the lobby one year with about a dozen or so guys. Now that its picked up more attention again, in 501 pages and 10,000 posts, were hopeful that more guys see it and maybe show for a day at York if only to share stories like on here. Hopefully we'll know by hearing from them as it gets closer to July.
    I got off the track. Again. Thanks for posting the Pics Butch.

4. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Glad to see all the new post and pictures. I've never owned or raced a junior stock but back in the late 60s I got hooked. Some good friends built a 57 nomad for the class and I often help them on the car. Never seen it run or even know how competitive it was. Uncle Sam had my number and put a halt to all the fun for several years. After that kinda lost touch with the old crew and started a family and everything that goes with that. But never got over enthusiasm for the class.
    My first and only post on this thread was in 09 but never pass a opportunity to see what going on. Love reading you guys comments about the way things were. I lived it but from a distance mostly reading and magazine article.
    I'm nine months into a 55 project trying to build a car from that period. The car has absoluity no race history, other than rolling down the Baltimore Fisher Body Assambly line with, I'm sure some proud soon to be Jr.stockers. Thanks Ron. [​IMG]. [​IMG]. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    Splitbudaba likes this.
  5. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

Your 55 appears to be a Business coupe. How are you doing in the drivetrain situation? I may be able to help with parts. I have a few parts. I hope it's going to be a stick car.

6. biscaynes

biscaynes

welcome over here ron, nice '55!

7. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Thanks Tom, but I think I'm set for now. It's a 331 with forged domed pistons same as the 365 hp solid lifters And a muncie. It was built by gm as a two ten but its going back together as a business coupe.
    Thanks dave. I've been thinking about building this car for better then 40 years. Working on wiring today.

8. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

I was thinking you were wanting to make the 55 into a real vintage junior stock, with a 265 and a 3 speed, although many were Glides.

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

The Cragars look perfect. dig the white headers and carb line too.:)

10. I was trying to figure out what the "tell" was for this car being a "business coupe". It's the black windshield and backlight molding, isn't it? :confused:

11. super-six

super-six

No, that distinguishes a One-Fifty. Fixed rear quarter windows would be the only tell-tale, other than the lack of rear seat.

12. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

It would sure be neat to see it with a 195 horse 265 and a 3 speed, a great clone of the "Monster Mash".

13. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Don't think I haven't thought of it. My first car was a 55 265 solid lifter motor with a three speed. Can't tell you how many times I pulled the brass out of the synchronizes drum. Until I had them pined in. The guys used to make some impressive crash boxes with the old three speeds. Ron

14. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was so common with the old three-speeds. I went through a bunch of transmissions in my 55 Chevy in the early sixties, each a failure of the second-gear synchro.

15. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

I had to drive home from Lions, about 50 miles, in 2nd overdrive because I popped the snap ring on the 3rd gear cone and it wouldn't go into 3rd gear at all. Those were the fun days. We found that if the clutch was too stiff the 3 speed couldn't handle it. T10 was OK but not the 3 speed. "Torrid 56" got 60 runs on the crash box before it sheered off 2nd gear, with a 1700 pound Hays pressure plate with his 225 horse Del Ray.

16. biscaynes

biscaynes

rumour has it the 1st monster mash is going to be 'restored'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Smalblock

Smalblock

I had a '57 chevy, 270 HP, 4 speed, that had the dreaded "flat spot" about two car lengths from the starting line. I kept raising the floats to cure the problem.

18. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

Did raising the floats help? If I remember sometimes cars ran faster when they had a little bog in low gear. Not sure if that is because it hooked harder or it caused the engine to go through more of the power range while enjoying the mechanical advantage of low gear.

19. BSL409

BSL409

20. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

That may have worked for big engine cars but the short stroke 283 didn't work well. It cost my buddy, Orlie Kuder, to loose to John Dianna in class. He got the hole shot on Dianna but Dianna pulled even when Orlie's 57 bogged. He should have listened to John Barkley and put in the 5.13's. It may have been the difference. I hate close ratio boxes for little drag race engines. We used a 2.36 ford gear set in out T10.

21. Smalblock

Smalblock

It's a long way from the deep south to the west coast, considering humidity, elevation, ect. I had a 2:20 first gear transmission and Thunderbolt type lift bars. My car hooked! I'm sure this would not work on all combinations but happened to work on mine.

22. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Guys, I read in the Junior Stock book about " Tall Spindles" . I saw 2 pictures of the Stahl/ Cordia 57 Business Coupe in Doug Boyce's book, one at rest and one leaving. The at rest picture has it really nose down . The picture leaving says it had 7 inches of lift!!
    What the heck is / was a " Tall Spindle"??? Obviously Some trick setup, anyone care to elaborate ?? Thank you

23. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

I don't know about tall spindles but they did have ball joint spacers, on the upper ball joint, that gave a good lift.

24. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

And to make the spacers work you also had to remove the rubber stop and cut a notch in the frame. If you ran loose shocks, it really made for a hard jolt when the suspense went to full extension.

25. OldColt

OldColt

While we are on the topic of front end lift ... what is the lowest class stocker you guys have seen get honest daylight under both front tires on launch?
    Saw it happen with a V/S car (22lbs/hp) car once. It took off in the hot black rubber tracks laid down by a Funny Car that went down on the previous run.

--- Steve ---

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Since the spindles were FORGED STEEL, and NOT cast iron, they could be welded safely. They'd take TWO pairs of spindles, cut, and re-weld them to position the spindle stub down lower in relation to the knuckle. There's a guy that buys used spindles here on the HAMB, and makes/sells "Raised" or "Stacked" spindles; I'd always referred to them as "Stacked". He gets a few $$$ for them also; he sells them on that auction site we all know and love also. They kept the static height up, and could still be used with the other front end tricks. Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Butch, now that you explained it, I can envision exactly what you're saying. Being longer they let the car lift even more than ball joint spacers would under acceleration and they would push the upper arm further up at rest by being longer and give it that dropped nose look the Stahl business coupe has. Got it . Thank you. That's pretty cool.

28. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

One more question. Well not really but for tonight I meant. Last week the Mr Zip old for sale ad was on here. It said that car had an Olds Rear and a rollbar which surprised me for a Stocker . Did anybody ever see a magazine article on that car ?? I can't recall ever seeing an article on it anywhere but that doesn't mean there wasnt one. Anybody?? Thanks

29. 57maddman

57maddman

More horse power would lift the front higher too :cool:

30. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's actually going to be high up at stand still, and will lift even more IF a ball joint lift kit is added also. The only real difference is that heavier springs are't needed to get the car up, and the ride is still stock-soft. There's a 56, 210 Del Ray, Powder Puff Blue on E-Bay that has stacked spindles; it's for sale/auction by Kompact Kar Korner in Lynnwood, Wa.; several of the pics show the spindles. What limits front end lift with the tri-fives, is the snubber bracket that's riveted to the frame; after that's removed you get maximum lift, but it's hard on the A-arms when they SMACK steel to steel. Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013