Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint and compromise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leroux, Aug 8, 2013.

1. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

my pops and I are doing a 30 -5 window coupe. A 40's/50's era car. Hopped up 4 banger, t5 trans, juice brakes....no chop. Everything is falling into place.
    almost ready to put it all together and enjoy.....here is the rub
    the body is 99% perfect. Very very little work to make it smooth for a bitchen paint job. It is original black with that perfect 83 year old patina all but the trunk lid and driver door. If they were matching the rest I would simply buff and clear it and running all day. But since they are not, I was thinking of satin red. My pops is on the fence with the flat red and was thinking a glossy blue. We don't want a show car..and all our other cars have had great paint jobs all glossy.
    anyone out in HAMB'LAND been in the same situation and how did it turn out.

cheers

2. RatPin

RatPin

3. voodoo1

voodoo1

If you planned it correctly you could almost match those areas. Then just clear and you're done. Pics if you can. Mike

4. paint the door and trunk lid to match the rest of the body.
    Al.

5. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

I will post some pics...on my wifes touch pad and they are on my lap top. Need to find a painter that can do it. I most certainly cant

6. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

Cant wait to see the pics

7. I think that when the guys built the cars "back in the day" they tried to build the best they could, best parts, best workmanship, best paint, and so on. The thing that got in their way was money, skills and lack of aftermarket parts etc... So when we build a car that is to be what they would have built "back in the day" we should do the same...if you can afford a nice paint job, DO IT, they would have. Hard to beat a nice built car with a nice single stage enamel paint job.

8. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

id at least try and match the odd panels to suit it