Register now to get rid of these ads!

Un stick a 327 that's been sitting 40 years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redo32, Aug 7, 2013.

1. redo32

redo32

Posted pics on the fordor thread,but would like to hear if you have any tricks for braking this thing loose. I know I will probably have to tear it apart, but you never know.

Attached Files:

2. George

George

ATF in the cyls for a week or 2 & run up the oil pump.

3. redo32

redo32

I no sooner posted this and the next thread was about the same thing. I've been soaking in acetone/atf mixture this week and the previous owner had been soaking too. It doesn't have a bolt on the damper, I bent up the cheap tool I had to turn the flywheel.

4. mechanic58

mechanic58

Coca-Cola - works great.

Also, you know you can pickup a neat little digital bore scope these days for pretty cheap too. Then you can nail down exactly which cylinders are stuck and concentrate on those.

5. mechanic58

mechanic58

Utilize the starter - bump it and have someone watch. If it starts moving, just continue to bump it.

Also, you can remove the crank pulley and get some good grade 8 bolts (longer ones) to screw into the pulley bolt holes. Then use a bar wedged between two bolts to turn it with.

6. budd

budd

pull the plugs and have a look inside, i have a small snake light that slips right into spark plug holes, if it has rust then you will distroy the pistons by rolling it over, and you will have wasted a bunch of time, also for the price of a bore scope now days that would be better.

7. Go to a marine supply shop,and get Evinrude Storage Fogging oil.Spray into each cylinder,leave it for serveral days.Repeat:)

8. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I can share two methods that have worked for us recently.

After everything else failed, we freed the motor in this F6 by using a greease gun and hydraulic pressure. We pulled the spark plugs, and used compressed air to identify which cylinder had closed valves and the piston at the top. Then we screwed the grease gun into the spark plug hole and pumped til she moved. I think this method will always work to free it, but could bend a rod if stuck really hard.

A more gentle method that has worked for us it to let the vehicle half-way off of the trailer and use a winch to rock the vehicle back and forth in high gear.

Both of these methods have worked when dragging the vehicle in gear just slid the tires.

If these don't work, it may be time to start disconnecting rods and working cylinders individually.

[​IMG]

9. Filled a stuck one to the brim with diesel fuel - let it sit for a month and was driving it around the yard 4 Saturdays later.... The brakes on the other hand were non existent!
    Good Luck!

10. It's a 327. A set of gaskets can't be that expensive. Open it up and see what you're dealing with.

11. redo32

redo32

It would be fun to say " I poured some fresh gas in her and she fired right up. It was stored inside all that time, so I can't imagine the corrosion would be like sitting outside for years.

12. chriseakin

chriseakin

My brother bought an old Tr3 that had been sitting for a while and wouldn't turn over but when we took off the head cover and loosened the rockers off it turned okay. It was just the valves that were stuck and for some reason once we took the head off they got unstuck fairly easily.

13. R Pope

R Pope

If it has a stick transmission, put it in high gear and get a few guys to help you rock it back and forth, hard, by hand. Quite often the opposing torques will free them up.
    Also, if you have a pressure washer, push the nozzle into a plug hole, hard, and give each cylinder a good blast. I have done a similar stunt with a hose from a tractor hydraulic system and fittings, but some serious shit can happen doing that......If a valve is open, back the adjusters off to hold the pressure.

io
    And lastly, as said above, 327 gaskets aren't real pricey, pull the heads.

14. weve used atf jn the past stuck it in high gear on a hill with a chock behind the tire abkut a foot check ig once a week till its rolled back to the wood block , pb blaster is great to just keep filling the cylinders or if yku can get your hands on it areo kroil is a idustrial unfreezer that if you can find it is the way to go

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

If it budges, rock it back and forth gently until you can make one smooth revolution. I've seen guys get one unstuck, and turn it one direction only to get it stuck worse when a different piston comes up in a rusty cylinder.

16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I don't understand the obsession with being able to free up an engine without any sort of disassembly. With the aid of air tools, I could have a cylinder head off of it in 20 minutes and at least know what I was up against, rather than fucking around for a month with special concoctions.

17. if its a rust thing and it why its stuck ... use vinger and freshen it up ...

a few days of that, will dissolve the rust and would touch up with some ATF

18. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

I've done the same thing after pulling the plugs and adding ATF and acetone. Works great!

19. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Soak the cylinders for a few days with something that's petroleum based.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  20. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have always just filled the cylinders right up with diesel and let it sit for a bit. Take the plugs out, and rock the motor back and forth. If it doesn't move, top it up with diesel, and wait and rock the motor every couple of days. Unless they were REALLY rusted bad, they all came unstuck.

I have never tried the ATF/acetone but I keep hearing it works wonders.

21. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

Just getting any kind of lube in there should help free it up.I use some diesel fuel,old atf & used motor oil.

22. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

NAPA has a fogging spray that works wonders for this.

23. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I always fill the cylinders with marvel mystery oil. I have unstuck a few engines that sat in heavy moisture enviornments and it normally took about a week. What was amazing was not that they broke free but that they all ran fantastic once running again.

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Only 40 yrs? Can't be stuck that bad. :D

25. maybelene

maybelene

x2!

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

:confused: For how long?

27. Coke Cola works wonders. HRP

28. mechanic58

mechanic58

That's what I been sayin! I'm a little shocked at the lack of knowledge of this old trick on here. I have un-stuck some shit that looked like it went down with the Titanic with Coke. It works great!

29. I have a 65 galaxie ltd with 352 FE- wasn't stuck when parked but sitting for 10 years has frozen something. Oil looks good, no water or mayonnaise. I've been soaking with acetone/atf for 2 months and still nothing.

The other day it was suggested pulling the pan and using a jack on the crank, just lift it up and let the weight of the car help to put the pressure on it. Sounded like a recipe to fuck things up worse. Anybody ever tried such a stunt?

edit- sounds like I should try coke or vinegar. still wondering if anyone has tried the jack/crank bit?

30. rld14

rld14

Won't coke trash aluminum pistons?