Register now to get rid of these ads!

How I build a Carson style roadster top.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brianangus, Dec 6, 2005.

1. These are the instructions that I will give to the upholstery guy. I agonized all day about what shape to make the rear of the sidewindow opening, but finally decided to make it vertical. The rear window as pictured is about 3/4" too high for good rear viewing, but I can only move it down about 3/4 of an inch, and then it will be setting against the plywood around the backside of the cockpit, so that is what I am telling the upholstery guy to do.
    The frame is primed and rubbed out with a fine scotchbrite pad, and I will be painting it black and attaching the black seatbelt webbing this week. Since the inside of the white top material is going to be black, I have decided to cover the rear fiberglassed plywood with black nuagahyde

Attached Files:

2. Old engine stands never die---but they make great painting fixtures.

Attached Files:

3. Okay guys, now I'm ready for canvas----honest. When I had the upholstery guy down to my place for final inspection, he was very concerned about the top of the canvas "ballooning" at speed, either from vacuum or air pressure. He recommended that I attach 3 peices of seatbelt webbing between the frontmost top bow and the header. This is one of those deals that sounds a bit easier than it really is. Since I didn't want the attachment points to the top bar or header to set above the natural "loft" of the fabric and cause ridges, I had to chisel 3 recesses into the front/top of the header, and weld 3 attachment tabs to the top bow that actually sat 1/8" below the "loft" line.---I also found out that the white convertible top material is black on the inside, so decided to paint the frame black.---Oh, by the way, look outside tha door (which I opened to get some light to take the picture) and you will see some of our "Barrie Sunshine"---24" and still snowing.

Attached Files:

4. Okay guys and gals---Its happening. I got the call this afternoon, and delivered the roadster pickup to my upholstery guy. I spent so much time telling him exactly how I wanted everything that he finally said "Brian, go home. I know how to build a roadster top." Yeah, I know, I'm kinda stoked, but jeez, its been a long time coming. The guy does amazing work. Will post pics as soon as I get it back.

5. Well, thats all she wrote. The top is finished, I'm very happy with it. It looks incredible on the car, and cost me about half what a Lebaron Bonney top would have. It provided me with a winters entertainment, and the car has a whole new look for spring. Thank you very much to all of you who followed this saga---I hope it provided some interesting things to look at, and I hope it helps anyone else who may consider building a top themselves.---Brian

Attached Files:

6. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Someone should move this over to the TECH Archives! Nice job, Brian.

7. Sticher1

Sticher1
    from Ct

hell I made those when I made tops for sidecars for motorcycles shit there easy IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO THEM did them for 10 years & they were all take-apart...

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I know this is a very OLD thread, but I found it while searching for a "how to" guide to building a canvas top for my Cabrio. I thought perhaps others might find it useful. Brian;s tech's are always educational, this one is no exception.....anywho, I'm planning to build one of these for my Cabrio. Wish me luck!

9. You are right. It IS a very old thread. Its still fun to see answers pop up to threads I started 10 years ago. Just for your info, the Wild Canary is still my daily driver through the summer months, and that top has close to 16,000 miles on it and is still as good as the day it was sewed.---Brian