Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Bel Air 2 door hardtop 26K miles All Original Pictures!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52carsontop, Aug 7, 2013.

1. CJS57

CJS57

Here is my 62,000 original mile 57. I hot-rodded it into a 270hp dual quad 5-speed and lowered to appear more or less period correct for 1962. Car was 35K 10years ago, and another 13k into it. It costs money to drive a nice old car. That black car is questionable on all points but is still worth the money if the body is no rust ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slowmotion

slowmotion

Like someone posted, looks like the engine compartment & trunk have been 'freshened'. Along with possible seat covers. Not uncommon for a non-enthusiast seller to want to spruce-up things before putting it up for sale. Not realizing the freshen might throw some flags. I'd say if the areas mentioned showed some wear, the mileage might be a little less in question. A pretty nice example regardless, I think it's bring at least $30K all day long around these parts. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

3. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Yes this is the right answer. Buy it! If you can get it for a little less then that is good but if you do not buy it . I promise you that someone else will.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

I hope to get time to go over there today and get under it.

As far as the engine goes. The kids took the car to a shop which painted the engine, built the carb, fuel pump, master cylinder, and exhaust. Said they washed the engine bay with degreaser and that was it. Said if I bought it I should get the gas tank cleaned out as they added a inline fuel filter and it is keep getting clogged.

Like some has said this car sat in a damp garage down next to a creek since 67. Was not registered since then. Was told from a friend of the guys who owned this that was in the same car club that this is a true 26K mile car and that it was put away around 67.

Having a hard time about this car. I love the store and think it this store is true that it could be work some good money in this market. But Sure do not like the underside!

5. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

For what it's worth, I have 3 60s vintage cars with under 50,000 miles a piece. They both look like crap underneath. The cars have been inside mainly, but it's not real dry here in Tn. and we have salt in the winters.

6. borntrouble

borntrouble
    from NH

That car'll sell for 30k +.... It's just a matter if you want to spend that much yourself, and take the chance, or if you want to let it slip through, and always wonder... There's more fish in the sea, but that's a pretty nice one on your line.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Now just wait a minute. They offered up a gas tank cleaning because it is clogging the filter? When did the owner plan on telling you this? When you are calling for a tow after you made purchase? Anything else the mechanic like to offer up that slipped the owners mind? Furthermore, it has done more than sit recently. It takes drive time to clog a filter. So, the car really has not been sitting recently.

In my opinion, a lot more was done to the car and they know it or my not. I can say without a doubt my wife and kids could not tell anyone what I have done with my car. Just ain't their thing.

But, the car IMO is $30k. Getting an appraisal is two fold. Might appraise for $30k. Might appraise for $50k. Then your screwed.

8. Clevername

Clevername

Something is a little weird here, the car was stored in a wet humid barn, that is why the underside is rusty, but there is no mold on the seats? The trunk looks immaculate? I would damn sure make sure the numbers match.

I personally think it would be okay if the owners redid the seats and stuff, but it seems like they are bullshitting to make a sale. If you can't trust them, then watch your ass.

The local car club, could have been fed a line of crap from the PO as well -just sayin.

Kelvin

9. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

This is what happened. One of the kids knew a guy that worked at a place that restores model As in the area. So they contacted him to take a look at it and get it running. So this guy went to the house and brought the car our of the garage. He has pictures of it sitting in the garage and then taking it out. The kids asked him to work on it and to get it running. So he put new tires, exhaust and all of the other stuff that I said above on it. He got it running and he said he drove it about 20 miles to make sure it did not need anything else to have it a driving car.

He said it has the original spark plugs in it. The generator is original and all that he did was rub it down with cleaner.

10. TexasDart

TexasDart

It a beautiful car..just needs a little more TLC.

11. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

That's a nice car but no way the mileage is correct. Probably worth the money if the drive train is original and it's not full of bondo and patch panels, if not then it's pretty much market value regardless of the miles being actual or not. If the numbers don't match then take 10K off of the price and you have a fair number.

If the numbers don't match, it's been restored and has had patch panels installed then 15k-18k is the actual market value. NADA, KBB and other book prices mean absolutely NOTHING in the real world.

12. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

I just took some detailed video of the car and the underside. I did not find any rust on it. The ball joints are covered with grease but a lot of guys back in the day would cover all those areas with grease. Once I figure out how to post the dang video I will.

13. I can see that the wheel cylinders are out in the photo. Brake fluid sucks up dust and dirt like crazy. Since this car has been stored for a long while, everything looks like it should. You expose metal to road salts during one Winter and leave it to dry and keep it unexposed to any other element for fifty years, and it will look exactly like the undercarriage of this car. Remember, rubberized undercoating was an option to be sprayed at the dealership. Not everyone got it back in 1957.

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

If you like it, buy it.

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

FWIW, my 1960 Cadillac Eldorado has only 38,000 miles on it, it was stored for 30 years unused and it looks like that underneath.

16. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

At the end of the day this is your best answer.

17. Tweed Deluxe

Tweed Deluxe
    from England

I'm surprised there's so much debate over the mileage. I'd think that's largely irrelevant on a 50+ year old car. Assess it on its condition and forget the odometer reading.

If it's been sitting for over 40 years, it's going to need going through anyway, so as someone else said, the claimed low mileage isn't anything to get excited about.

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Agreed.

19. monsterflake

monsterflake

it's a great color and i love those interiors. what else could you buy for 35k that would hold that value? 32 fords and 57 chevys are always going to have the biggest market.

20. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup...just like I said. I do believe that's a 26,000 mile brake pedal pad. ;)

And just enough wear here and there to show it hasn't been redone.

Very nice non-restored car. Ya gonna buy it?

22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´d go get it.Looks real and unrestored to me, the paint is worn thin from buffing, the seat cover in the rear discolored from the sun, you´ve got a very nice and solid car. The little wear depands on how it was used during the first years. I have a 62 Impala which was owned as a Sunday church car by an older couple. I bet there has never been anyone in the back seat. your carpet wear could be caused be letting kids enter the backseats. Maybe the 57 has spent 10 years taking kids from and to school or kindergarten. That´s was history is about , the fun is in the imagination what ever happened in these backseats, hahahaha As I said before, the backseat in my 62 Impala is brandnew, but then, it was just an old couple:)

23. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PS, my undercarriage was also greasy and oily with just over 16k miles on the odo when I bought the car in 97. There was no undercoating , just red primer and a black chassis on my 62, the paint had slightly faded from the sun. You´re getting a very nice car!

24. 4ever4

4ever4
    from Texas

Well lets see if this is believable.... :D

First there was the new family car purchase in 1950...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then in 1957 he made another new car purchase. Can anyone guess what color of car he purchased??? :rolleyes:

...and then again in 1968 another new car was purchased to replace the one he purchased in 1957. Not everyone sees the need to sell or trade-in their "used car"!! ;) :D :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. slowmotion

slowmotion

[​IMG]

And it looks like he might have had and A-coupe before the new car purchase in '50....:eek::D

26. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I love this thread. Had a 2 dr ht that I sold in 1981 for 1800 bucks. Was not that nice but they were every where back then weren't they? Now that times have changed, truly nice" survivor " cars like the one you have cornered, no matter how many miles you determine are actually on it, are rare birds. Here is a little food for thought. I am not old enough to remember what that very car cost new. I guess 1800-2000? Maybe that's high, maybe low[ I don't know]. In 1957 money they are asking and standing firm at $4352.00. That is $35k today. To a rich man that's peanuts, to a poor boy that's a lot of coins. If you get it, enjoy.

27. A Rodder

A Rodder

28. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Yesterday I gave them a offer on the car. I think It was a far offer so we will see what happens. Will let you guys know. Thanks for your help!

29. slowmotion

slowmotion

Hope it works out for you, good luck. That's a pretty nice one to let get away.

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No denying it is a very pretty car, from what we can see in the pictures. The fact that it is a 2 door hardtop makes it even sweeter IMO. Color is a good one and it looks unmolested (modified). I like it.

I do think the mileage is more than 26K based on the underside. It would be hard to get that much grease and gear oil spilled in 26,000 miles. Also, it looks like the "4" in the odometer doesn't line up well with the others, but I don't know much about that subject.

I hope you score it, but before I laid out that kind of money I would be over and under the car thoroughly and do at least a compression test on the motor. Look down in the oil fill tube and see how clean it looks, that will tell you something about the mileage. Maybe borrow a bore scope so you can really get a good view of what the insides look like.

Don