Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Pickers Shop Pick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ol Skool '51, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Did anyone see American Pickers last monday night? Was the Hot Rod Shop in New York (I think they said Long Island) for real? Looked real enough but the way American Pickers stage so much of their stuff you don't know what to believe. The shop looked like it had a bunch of kool stuff and the '50s Pontiac dash that they bought was a great piece of Garage Art.
    Anyway does anyone know if the shop is for real?

2. Sure it's for real,,no one can fake being as cool as Jackie "Hollywood" . HRP

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wanted an hour on just that shop. The cameras pan around so fast you really get a good look.

Statton Island??

4. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I think it was in the same half hour, they went to a junk yard in N.J. (Where they did really good-quantity and price) but, again, the cameraman panned right by an old open wheel race car (midget? sprint?) without hesitating.

6. So, if we show up at that shop do you think he would let us buy stuff off the walls :eek: bet not, and that NJ junk yard, think they would let us walk around and pull out things like that midget racer and those Kustom signs :eek: bet not. Maybe if we let Danielle go ahead first :D.

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  8. I was hoping that guy was for real, what a character. I would enjoy meeting him. So much fake crap on TV now it makes you doubt everything. Even the News is moronic.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

patmanta - Thanks for links

10. A friend of mine in the antique business was disappointed to find that a shoot done near us with American Pickers was "set up" by bringing in more interesting items to add to what the original pickee had to make it a better show. Ever notice how when they meet the owners for the first time that the audio is perfect on the owner? It's because the have a wireless mic hidden on them. Sometimes you'll see the wireless transmitter on their backside. What the heck, that's TV.
    Another reality show, Airplane Repo, includes a buddy of mine, Kevin Lacey. It's 100% real just like Kevin.

11. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

I saw the episode, lots of cool stuff for sure but seemed a little too good to be true

12. Deuces

Deuces

That's why I don't watch any of that garbage...:)

13. he sure had a bad ass tbird!

14. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

That was my favorite episode ever. They have to make the show interesting so I am sure some stuff is planted but it is still fun to watch. Mike Wolf is a cool guy, too. I used to deal with him quite a bit when he had a scooter and bike shop.

15. mickeyc

mickeyc

Speaking off the Pickers show. Today I saw an article on msn computer news about a guy that shot up the local city council in an eastern town.
    he claimed they "stole " his land, because of too much junk. I do believe that the Pickers had "picked" him within the last year or so. On the episde
    in question he mentioned trouble with the township council. When I saw his photo on the net I was sure it was the same guy?

16. 117harv

117harv

<TABLE id=post7947335 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid" class=thead>-2012, 01:07 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=thead align=right> #55 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>Ryan<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7947335", true); </SCRIPT>
    Administrator

[​IMG]

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_7947335 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: "Fast & Loud"
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I think the HAMB has a new policy... Absolutely no threads about reality TV shows...
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

17. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

That Danielle on the show is friggin smokin. Yum yum

18. gatz

gatz

before ya close it, let me add just one thing... reality shows aren't

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Turn the sound off and just enjoy looking at all the stuff people have collected in their lifetime. Bob

20. A Boner

A Boner

Not reality TV shows, reality.

21. oldskoolshop

oldskoolshop

too bad the sheep will always believe no matter what!

22. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I can tell you from firsthand experience that Hollywood Garage and Jackie G are the real deal. I got my tri-power set up on my '33 PU from Jackie, for a song. He's as cool as he seems on the episode and really cares about the hobby. He drove his low-rider Chevy Impala over to the Staten Island Ferry to meet me and deliver the tri-power. I humped the setup to Manhattan on the ferry. You shoulda seen the look on people's faces seeing me with a polished tri-power on my shoulder. LOL. He even handed me a fresh loaf of Italian bread and some salami! The guy is awesome.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Staten Island may be in some type of time warp, due to the fact that not everyone goes there. I've only been there twice, and that was to get a radiator from a guy that did World War ONE aircraft radiator work. There was a 122 MILLER race car that came out of a shop it had been in since the 1930's. A friend found a Bugatti front axle in a junk yard out there, very special place I think. Bob

24. fleetside66

fleetside66

Great story!

25. motorcade 1

motorcade 1

No reality show threads then lets never mention Barrett Jackson the prime time episodes of that are somewhat suspect to me. Just my opinion.

26. uncle Dave

uncle Dave

guys....aren't we better then this ?
    really..................!!
    two words....show bizz..........d

27. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

What is more amusing is that when Mike & Frank are "free-styling" and allegedly cold-call someone, no one ever seems to notice the camera and audio people in the background !!

28. jazz1

jazz1

there has only ever been one reality program....Candid Camera

29. slowmotion

slowmotion

It's just entertainment. Take it a such & don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.