Register now to get rid of these ads!

Travelling the West Coast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dropouts, Jul 14, 2013.

1. BaBa

BaBa

For a much smaller car show we have one in Paso Robles on Aug 31st. Try to make some time to do some wine tasting while you are here. There are also a bunch of B&B's nearby. PM me if you want details.

2. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi There

If you have an extra afternoon in L.A. you could go to the ' Nethercutt Collection ' in Sylmar , 30 miles west from downtown L.A.

You need to make a spot on the tour by contacting them, it is a 6 story building with all kinds of old time neat stuff with the main focus on Classic Cars and air operated music machines

If you need any help getting on a tour PM me and I can help, as I worked there awhile back

Google the ' Nethercutt collection ' or ' San Sylmar ' to check it out

Mr. Nethercutt was the owner of Merle Norman Cosmetics and won quite a few Best of show awards at Pebble Beach with his classic cars

Have Fun on your trip

G Don

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

The only thing i have to add is maybe santa cruise boardwalk, and the Winchester mystery house in san jose

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm too far off your chosen area that you want to see to be of much help there Dropouts. I was primarily saying it's a lot different buying a project car to stuff in a container and take back than it is to buy a car that you intend to drive several thousand miles in a short period of time.

My line of thinking was more on the line of a Hamber in the LA area knowing of a car for sale that fits your criteria and is known to be reliable on the long haul. A decent first or second generation Nova might be harder to find than a decent Coupe or roadster depending on what year of Nova she likes.

5. Dropouts

Dropouts

Blake84 We will be heading down to Donut Derelicts for sure, The Peterson museum is on are list for sure. We will check out the rest of the places you suggested as well Im a big fan of cookies so thanks for the heads up on that one

BaBa Paso Robles looks like it would be well worth it and my Girlfriend is a bit of a fan of wine so Im sure she would appreciate the vineyards. Myself well I like the brown water. Will give you a pm for some more details. Thanks

D.N.D the Nethercutt museum looks amazing in fact all the car museums I have looked at going to are incredible the buildings alone are worth the visit. I will be adding this one to the list for sure

junk yard kid. That Winchester house looks like a bit of an oddity and Im quite curious to have a look. Santa Cruz is already on are list for sure

Thanks for all this guys we are really looking forward to this trip only 3weeks to go and then we will be state side getting a bit excited for sure. We are thinking of spending the first few days in either Santa Monica or Venice what you recommend ? we will rent someones house through AirBnB so we can get a of street parking spot for the car.

6. Dropouts

Dropouts

Mr48chev. Totally agree with you mate. What I want is a reliable Coupe or roadster that is up for a road trip. I think I might put up a wanted advert in the classified section what do you think ? I just didn't want to do it to early before we arrived. Im sure that once we arrive there will be a few cars to check out. Well hoping so anyway. We will be renting a house for the first week so we will have an address for all the relevant paper work so everything will be nice and legit (fingers crossed).

7. verde742

verde742

Hearst Castle, as I recall, consists of FOUR tours, and takes more than just one visit, Somebody help me here, wasn't it like $25.00 each / per tour?

Its great, I have toured two of the four..

8. Didn't read the whole thread, what kinda car you looking to buy.

9. Dropouts

Dropouts

verde742 your right on the tours I will need to be careful as they all start to add up

Panneton Bros. Racing. Mate I would really like a Model A Coupe just a good safe cool running straight steering cruiser. I will be in L.A from the 25th let me know if you have something I might like.

10. toml24

toml24

ANOTHER GREAT MUSEUM TO SEE:

Automobile Driving Museum<O:p</O:p
    610 Lairport Street<O:p</O:p
    El Segundo, CA. 90245<O:p</O:p
    (310) 909-0950<O:p</O:p
    Tuesday-Sunday 10:00am-4:00pm<O:p</O:p
    This is a non-profit facility. Admission is by the generosity of your donation at the door.<O:p</O:p

Don't be turned off by the funny street name or the lack of huge signs on the front of the building. This is a GREAT museum!! On Sundays for a small fee they will take visitors out for a drive in selected cars from the collection. This museum is near the Los Angeles Airport and is worth the visit.

11. Dropouts

Dropouts

Thanks toml24 sounds like its worth a look for sure

12. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Yes the castle tours are $25.00 also includes a Imax movie on the building of the castle and the life of Hearst. Gets busy on weekends in the summer buy tickets in advance. You park in the visitors center then take a bus up the hill to the castle about 15 min ride. You get a guided tour then your allowed to wander around on your own cool deal takes up 1/2 a day. Last time I went to the Nethercutt admission was free, but you had to register in advance also a guided tour then allowed to wander the anex collection on your own. Cars are not hot rod related but spectacular
    none the less. The Getty museum is also a good one. Good thing your planing ahead as you will run out of time in a hurry. Ventura Nationals is one of my favorite shows
    Happy Trails JJ

13. MetalShaper

MetalShaper

so much to do in southern cali...i would start with craigslist and ebay.swapmeet is this weekend at pomona and a good time to buy a car.

14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

15. Dropouts

Dropouts

yeah unfortunately we won't be there till the 25th. Would of loved to have gone to Pomona.

16. Dropouts

Dropouts

Well we made it Staying in Venice Beach for the next 5days then headed up to Ventura for the Nationals, so stoked to finely be here.

17. Blake84

Blake84

Prob early for you but a bunch of us in Venice beach area are meeting at the best buy on pico near the 405 and 10 fwy. We are meeting between 4:30-5 am and cruising up the pacific coast highway. Not sure if with time change you are up that early but feel free to meet us and trail along!!! Otherwise see you at the show

18. Dropouts

Dropouts

Cheers for the offer mate would love to tag along but Im still searching for a car at this moment. Got some good sleep on the plane which was nice i need to go and grab a feed and then sit back and enjoy some beers by the Beach. Whats the beer of choice fellas

19. Dropouts

Dropouts

What to you guys do for accommodation in Ventura? Is there any camping ?

20. skitzo13

skitzo13
    from SoCal

Haha I like your style

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Dropouts

Dropouts

Just a real quick one while I have some internet. Just want to say thankyou to all the H.A.M.Ber's for there help and knowledge we are having a great trip thanks to you guys. We are just about to head into S.F from Santa Cruz after driving the 1 (what a awesome road) and from there we will make up are minds weather to head to Salt Lake City or cruz back to L.A
    Ventura was friggin awesome !!!
    Anyway thanks wouldn't of happened without you guys.