Register now to get rid of these ads!

talk about luck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootrz1, Aug 4, 2013.

1. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

went to milltown yesterday 115 miles round trip car ran ok started to sound funny towards end . checked oil and went 2 miles to show today as I was leaving noticed no oil pressure and in a sec it started smoking out of drivers side pipe . people on a porch said its not leaking anything ,was mile from home now so limped it home . looked in hole for oil fill and could see rocker upright pulled valve cover and I had bent a push rod and it came out of the socket on rocker .dont think any major damage has happenend would of sucked 60 miles from home

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

should shut it down with no oil pressure, no matter what the people on the porch tell you.

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Must've been a Holiday Inn Express porch.

4. metalix_421

metalix_421

agreed you should have shut it down and investigated

but glad to hear no real damage

5. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

meh, i drove my 58 home to merrimac ma from milltown rapping the whole way. i figured it would either make it or not, & every mile closer was a cheaper tow. it made it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  6. Oil is what keeps the engine alive,,I would have killed the ignition and coasted to a stop. HRP

7. George

George

IF the noise was from no oil, you have done damage, might take a few, or a few hundred, to show up, but it will.

8. My driver doesnt' leak or drip visibly either, but it got so low in 5000 miles it started to click and knock. 3 quarts later it was fine. Must be burning it or something, but it doesn't smoke either.

9. I don't want to add any more drama to this thread ... I think I will just privately shake my head in wonderment though.

10. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

I am replacing lifters and the push rods both valve covers off and intake off all looks ok inside . iwas a mile from home with wife in my other car behind me , just did 115 miles day before it wasnt making any wierd noises so i took chance to get it home pushrod was bent out of the way ball broke off and jammed in rocker i found out later I guess shame on me for posting about it

11. jhaas63

jhaas63

Amazing how everyone is so smart on internet forums.

12. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

We are SO dumb. Obviously, no oil pressure is not a big deal. :rolleyes:

13. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Oil pressure is soooo overrated...

Smart enough to boost my post count, until this thing runs off the rails and is deleted.