Register now to get rid of these ads!

2013 NSRA Nationals Attendance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dougan, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Dougan

Dougan

Did anyone hear what the attendance numbers were for this years Nationals???

2. 55driver

55driver

3. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

How many cars?

4. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

10034 cars

5. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

My assumption is that there was close to a 50/50 split between pre and post 48 vehicles. So, was the attendance down because of the aging of America, folks that are still upset, the economy? Maybe it's a combination of all factors. This was my first time since the years were opened up. I had a good time and the weather was excellent. The most alarming thing for me was the massive number of mobility carts. Some were justified but honestly America is just getting fatter and lazier. Before anyone starts ripping on me: I'm 60 with a new artificial knee and I'm overweight at 245 pounds. I walked the entire event at least three times each day, all three days. Sam

6. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I think I'll miss the old rules. Sort of looks like a Good Guys show now.

7. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Give the event a chance. I felt the NSRA had much more of a vintage feel to it and showcased traditional cars very well.
    Hell, even back during the pre `49 days you could see so many pastel streerods that it reminded you of a pile of Neopolitan ice cream! I think the change was great.

The cars are mostly high quality, the swap meet puts Goodguys to shame and the vendor area was packed twice as hard as Columbus.

I agree the scooters had some lazy asses that shouldn`t have been riding them but after all day walking I could have used one getting back to the car...and I`m almost sixty but have too much pride.:)

On another note I bought some heavy suspension parts inside and the NSRA guys assisted me in getting it out to my car and they seemed very happy to help. Hats off.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  8. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

The sheer number of scooters is a little bothersome. I have to say that the venue is not the greatest. Back to the 50's has a much better venue, and apparently more cars that are all pre- 64. I believe that show had over 12,000 cars this year.

9. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I'm really glad I went. The quality of the cars keeps getting better and better. I'm looking forward to the swapmeet at the Frog Follies. It has really grown over the past 4-5 years.

10. Retro61

Retro61

The Swap at the Follies is always good, and at least you can afford to buy parts!

11. larry k

larry k

the king miget { no it was not a race car } and the stock 1978 dodge van motor home ! were the ones that made me wonder why, ? ? ? .. i guess just because they could ?:confused:

12. As a vendor I can tell you that the foot traffic was definitely up as were the number of people buying parts. On Thursday one of the NSRA reps told me that they were up 1,000 cars over Thursday of last year.
    It was the best it has been in over 6 or 7 years for us.

13. Graystoke

Graystoke

Oops... At first I thought you were talking about WalMart.:eek:

14. 40coupefan

40coupefan
    from Trumann,AR

I thought it was a good show as I have for many years. This year the weather was just outstanding! I think over 10,000 cars is not exactly a failure. The vendor area alone is a reason to go. My grandson went with me, he likes the newer cars and I like the pre 48 better. There was something for everyone!

15. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Scooters... who do you think are on those scooters, old farts that don't want to miss a car event because their body won't let them walk it any more, so I guess its time to tell them to stay home. I've had a knee replaced and now have hip problems and hurts like hell when I walk but I've been doing rod events and building hot rods for over 50 years and if I decide to buy a scooter all I can say to you haters is, JUST WAIT YOUR DAY IS COMING WHEN A SCOOTER MAY BE IN YOUR FUTURE.....

16. ems customer service

ems customer service

anybody can rent the mobility carts, handicap not a requirement only visa card

17. ems customer service

ems customer service

there were to king midgts at the show!

18. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Plywude, I'm glad you're hanging in there and not throwing in the towel. I just stated an observation " there's a lot of folks that are really getting lazy and they have the financial resources to do so. It's a reflection of our country in general. No problem with anyone who needs assistance or who has disabilities.

19. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Glad to hear the foot traffic was up for the vendors. I had to choose between the airshow in Oshkosh or the Nats this year with the conflicting dates. I will do the Nats next year. I'm local to Louisville and didn't see as many rods enroute as I usually do so I thought attendance might be down.

20. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

I wasn't talking about the number of people that need them, more so, the number of younger people that could have utilized the exercise.

21. crossthread

crossthread

I went to Louisville many years, when it was 48 and older , my taste in rods . had a great time looking at 14K plus rods. Been to the show after the change , A much different type ,read stock with better paint and wheels than stock . Very nice cars ,well built, super fast just not what I like. I don't think It's all about the year as much as it's about the style of build of the car ,and if you think you might be able to build a rod like that
    your self .

22. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Spoke with someone in the know, that was there just last nite, great weather, good numbers, great people, and high quality ,home built cars he just loved it I wish I would have went, I remember my excitement back in 74 at my first ,this person was there also said it felt the same good fun, good cars , great people!

23. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

10,034 is correct versus 9,886 in 2012...I agree with an estimate of 50% post '48 cars, so when you really look at it closely - the Nats have had 13,000+ hot rods (pre '49) in the past.......so we were actually down some 7,000 to 8,000 hot rods (pre '49) from the pre "PLUS" years....that's a bunch!!!! As bad as I hate to admit, there were not many "late models" there that should not have been. Most were at best pre '72... So I guess this is where we're headed....and if it starts to bother me - I'll do as my Nashville friend says - "If you don't like it - don't go back"...I still consider the Frog Follies my favorite of all year with the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green a close second.....Joe

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  24. larry k

larry k

DAMN'IT joe your allways right !!! nuff said !!!

25. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

There may have been slightly fewer registered this year, but I would guess there were more cars and people actually on the grounds this year. We were out in the grass and it was more full than I remember seeing it in a long time.

26. I agree with you, EXCEPT there were MANY that were being ridden by Kids, Young guys who would get out of them and walk (and even run) just fine, Older guys who bragged about how they figured they were somehow "Cool" riding around in them, etc.
    We talked about making up shirts - "Fat, Stupid, and Lazy is Not a Handicap" :D

27. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'm going to be very banged up before I spend $95.00 a day for a scooter.
    One of my friends was really pissed when the 30 year rule started, he had been to every nats since 80, I kidded him I was going to drive my 83 wagon in 2013, I be damned I saw 2 of them at the show.
    I thought it was a good show.
    I was surprised of all the HAMB friendly cars in the building display.

28. ls1yj

ls1yj
    from Kentucky

Im in total agreement on the scooters for folks who truly dont 'need' them.. Ive had three ACL surgeries this year, and just started being able to walk 'decent' in the last few weeks, and was determined to go to this show, and walk my azz off...

I thought the numbers were decent, and really enjoyed the mix of early pre '49 and late model stuff for the most part...

I guess Im getting old (43)... I only grew tired of the monster motor builds that had WAAAY too much cam(s), super high stall speeds, and open headers.... guys would fire them up and cruise around a little bit, and romp on the throttle once in a while to clean them out, but they were just sooo damn loud, it hurt when one went by, even 20 feet away... I know the rules are pretty loosely interpreted, but I think these builds belong at the track, or keep them under 105 dB...

29. dad-bud

dad-bud

I was at the NSRA UK NAtionals last weekend, and there seemed to be plenty of scooters there too.
    None of them had flame jobs, big 'n' littles or in-the-weeds stance, and some of them did have lard-butts ridin' them, but hey, who cares? So long as they didn't scratch down the sides of any cars or run over anyone who is really handicapped.
    Sure, some of the scooter-jockeys could have done with the little bit of exercise, but this is a traditional hot rod site and not a place for, ummm, haters.................. is it?

30. larry k

larry k

well i think you are right { ls1yj } it looks just like the street machine nationals, with out the show us your tits signs and all the drunk kids doing burnouts, just wait a few more years,,,,,, it's comin !!!. the good "ol" days are gone ! thanks vern !!!