Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 ford deluxe rims and tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coupedupnow, Aug 6, 2013.

1. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

i am looking to purchase some rims and tires that give my coupe a nice stance (lower in the front) as well as fill the rear wheel well in .....
    can you guys tell me where i should look to purchase some ....I am having a hard time sizing them with backspace and all...can you tell me what you run for rims and tires on a completely stock 40 ???

thanks!!!!

2. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

I believe the stock wheel size is 16x4... Pretty rare. As far as I can find no one re-pops that size. I think the back space is centered. I like narrow wheels so I'll usually beat up old junk yards for the original 16x4s up front and mount a 450/475 16 or a little bigger. Then hit up coker for some new 16x41/2 or 5s that match the oem ford wheels fine, (wheel vintiques, via coker) then mount a somewhere in the 650 700 range out back... Hope this helps

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

I'm sorry, I just saw it is a 40, I don't know if my advice will help you at all, I do know the wheel size is 16x4 with little to no back space. I can't help with tire size.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, what kind of tires are you looking to run? You're in MA and our roads can be kinda bad, so are you considering radials? If so, you would probably do well to get 15" steel repros, vintiques, etc.

Bias ply should be easy to identify and get from Coker, 600-16 I think. Do you not have wheels on it or are you trying to replace non stock wheels on your car? If you're going for stock, I'd suggest checking over on FordBarn.

Keep an eye on CL, I've seen some recently in our region. If you're really stuck, I've got some 35 wires I've been trying to sell that could work but they're pretty rough. You'd need a support ring to run them with the 40 drums.

5. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

check your local hi perf tire store. mine had a plate to figure back space, size that will fit wheel well, and made it simple. On my 40 Ford sedan, I am running 235/70-15 on back and 215/65-15 on front. Chassis Eng ifs frt end, Chassis Eng rear spring set-up with chrome wheels. It has a nice rake, but not so bad I have to worry about scraping pulling to parking lots & driveways.

6. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

sorry I missed the "completely stock" 40, but still probably worth a shot.

7. fatkoop

fatkoop

I have '50's F-100 rims 15 x 5-1/2 and 15 x 5 on both ends with 255-70R15's on the rear and 155-70R15's on the front. Yea, I know they're radials and are frowned upon by many here, and I know the rears are too wide for the rims, but I like the look and they ride good, steer good and I've put many, many thousands of miles on 'em.

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Are you running Radial T/A's then? I think the only place to get the 155's now is Coker. Do you have the stock 40 brakes still?

9. Tube-type rims with tubeless tires .... rims seal ok without modification?

10. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

thanks!!! car is all stock.....stock 16s on it ....i just want something a little more aggressive than the 4 inch wide tires...haha..lots of good info here.

thanks....ill keep hunting .

11. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

fatcoop......front and rear all stock ??? no drop front or reverse eye springs ?? thanks!! als, your car looks sweet!

12. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Coker's got a bunch of smoothies in a bunch of sizes that would work for you.

You could keep your front wheels and put some new 600-16's on them then put some 16x6" wheels out back with some taller rubber around a 750-16.

13. banginona40

banginona40

If you plan to use radials, a 6" wheel in the rear w/ a 235/70 and a 6" wheel in the front w/ either a 185 or 205/60 or 65 would make for a nice stance.

14. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

bangin ......will a6 inch wheel fit without rubbing ?? thanks,Mike

15. banginona40

banginona40

I wish I could answer that question for sure but you might be better off to beg, borrow or buy a wheel and put it in place and have a look. Or use one of the wire or rod style adjustable wheel and tire profile templates to help figure it out.

16. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Here's a cheap one:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-01201

Is the '40 running, driving and road legal?

17. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

Perfect I might grab that.....it's almost there...it's reg and insured but got a few more things to do before it hits the road

18. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

We at Rally America can make you a set of whatever you need. Give us a call at 559-322-2128
    Jimmy

19. push_rod

push_rod

You really need to find someone near you to help you figure out the correct tire and wheel size and backspacing before you spend any money. Hopefully there may be someone out there who has already done what you are trying to do. Many aftermarket wheel manufacturers can make the type of wheels you will need, with any back spacing desired. The F100 wheels are 15 inch with the same 5-1/2 on 5 bolt pattern as your stock '40, but they can be hard to find. It sounds like you are looking for something like this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/3993462321.html

Unfortunately they are 3,000 miles from you, and may or may not fit your application (tire size, and back spacing may not be what your need.).

Here's a website to help with figuring out correct back spacing:

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Best of luck,

push_rod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  20. b-bob

b-bob

Mine has 185-70-15's on the front, Coker whites. They do rub going into the driveway
    The 6" Vintique rims have a 3-3/4 back spacing which leaves 2-1/4 front spacing.

Of course if the car wasn't so low in the front that would help. Hope this helps.

21. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

yes...thats basically what i am looking for ....what a pain to figure out sizing without using trial and error . I borrowed a kit to figure out rim sizing and back spacing but thats only half the battle...thanks guys...great information .

22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If you can drive the 40, perhaps you can get out my way (Woburn) and we can bolt one of my 155/80/R15's up and check.

23. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

thanks for the offer....i appreciate it but i am a month or two away from driving it. the hood is being wet sanded and buffed this week....then about 15 different little projects to do .

24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The first photo is when the stock 40 ran 1949-51 Merc 15 in. rims up front with 5:60x 15 inch tires. On the rear were 1949-51 Lincoln rims with 8:20 x 15 tires. The Lincoln rims are 1/2 inch wider than the Merc. 49-51 Merc rims all around would look the same. Couldn't run stock Merc hubcaps since the rear axle nut sticks out too far. The white walls were "Port-A-Walls. In the 2nd photo the only change to the stock suspension was a Posie reversed eye front spring which lowered the car a little more than 1 in. after settling of the spring. Tires were stock 6:00 x 16 on stock 16x4 FORD rims. The 3rd photo shows the car with with Posie reversed eye spring, Magnum 4 inch dropped axle and steering arms, with early FORD 15x51/2 pickup truck rims with 4 inch backspace and Coker Classic 5:60x15 inch tires with 2 3/4 inch wide white wall. On the stock rear are 15x6 rims with 4 inch backspace made by a company called SOLIDS ( no longer around) with BF Goodrich Silvertown 7:60x15 tires with 3 3/8 in white wall. The dia. of the rear tires is 28.66 inches. The dia. of the front tires is
    25.88 in. The car sits very low with the chin pan 4 3/8 in. off the ground. The axle is resting on the rubber bump stops. The tires did not rub the fenders in any of these 3 alterations. The Magnum axle is 3/4 inch narrower than the stock 40 axle. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

MikeTheKnifeJohnson likes this.
  25. fatkoop

fatkoop

BFG radials. No tubes. I replaced the last set about a year ago 'cuz I just plain wore out the previous ones. I run about 20-25PSI in the rears and about 32-35 in the fronts. Never a tire problem in about 12 years of running these.

26. fatkoop

fatkoop

Front and rear axles are all stock except for 1" longer shackles on the front and reversed spring eyes. Stock brakes, stock steering, stock trans and tourquetube, stock radiator. '62 283. I drive the wheels off it.

27. coupedupnow

coupedupnow
    from mass

thanks!! You guys are awesome....im still not positive what i will do ...but thanks!