Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Dad is Awesome!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Find, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

This is not news to me or any old car person that has ever had the opportunity to experience my Dad's charm with old cars. His talent and generosity defies description. I've always known this, but he continues to push the bounds and impress me more all the time. Today's example is this: I go to visit my in-laws and Dad sends me these photos of what he did today. This Diamond T sat in a barn for 25 years. It was a pretty good ole truck. However, the farmer stacked bags of fertilizer on the driver side running board. The running board itself was completely dissolved and the adjacent rocker panel suffered badly. In a single day, my Dad reversed the greatest tragedy to ever befall this old truck. He said he was taking a break before reparing the bed side. I say he earned it!

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

2. t-buckethead

t-buckethead
    from texas

Dads are always the best!

3. yes they are ! I miss my Dad alot...

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Definitely awesome. Is this your truck? That makes him even awesomer.

5. sounds like a great dad.....mine was always selling my/our shit when I/family was away....

6. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Damn... his patch panels match perfect! Looks like a cool old truck, too.

7. Did he use parts from another old truck? HRP

8. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

He used parts from this truck, but they were far from perfect donor panels, so he worked some additinal magic there.

[​IMG]

9. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I can't imagine he will ever run out things to fix, but if he does, i will send a car his way. Id even visit my inlaws more if that would help. Looks great.

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Tim, you should come down for the Mid Mo Old Car Club trunk swap at my folks' house. It's a week from Thursday-Just take Friday off. Bring your Dad.

11. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Would love to, but will be headed down for the hamb drags. Keep me in mind for any other event.

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

And yes, this is my truck. I'm not paying him. I'm not even asking him to work these miracles. He just does it, because he loves fixing stuff. The rocker panel is just icing on the cake. He has spontaneously donated hundreds of hours over the last 8 months converting a derelict, real-world barn find into the idilic survivor it is today.

It not only runs, it fires to life if you so much as look at the start button funny. It idles smooth and responds nimbly to a tap of the skinny pedal.

He did a complete brake job on it, converted it to 12 volt-complete with working 12V fuel gage and generator. He lubed up all the crank out window mechanisms. He installed all new side glass and window felts for smooth up and down operation. He found and installed all the correct stainless trim, bumper, headlights, and hood ornament. He fixed a bunch of details you would never notice like tailgate chains and choke cables. He painstakingly repaired all these things so they function, but look as though they are completely original to the truck. I love his art. I love him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

14. modeleh

modeleh

He sounds like a great guy, but I hope he leaves something for you to do so people here don't label you a "gold chainer" because you haven't done any of your own work!:)

15. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

No worries about that. I get dirty, too. I'd guess that the majority of my posts here relate to bragging about Dad. He's got six decades of experience and is retired, so playing with cars is his full-time profession. My priority project is in the foreground of the photo of the parts truck above, but I still turn wrenches. (The whole family does.) Also, I'm just as likely to let dust settle on my projects, so that I can help a friend get something running or drug home. Dad taught me that, too.

16. gtopillado

gtopillado

Your father has got skills, well done.

17. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

BITCHIN !! Chris

18. Rusty

Rusty

19. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Dads are the BEST!

20. thats awesome ...

21. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

It wasn't enough that Dad found this awesome horn button for the T. He proceeded to find a horn and make make sure the button works.

[​IMG]

22. raven

raven

That is definitely one bad-assed pickup.
    r

23. Midget25

Midget25

I like a couple things about your post, first you are right yopur Dad does have talent but what I like most is the fact YOU know what a talent he is and tell the world he is your hero.Good Job Man...........

24. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Thank you. He is awesome. I am incredibly lucky. I don't know how to deserve it other than never take anything for granted and give credit where credit is due.

25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You have an awesome Dad. But guess what, he has an awesome son! I love it that you have this shared interest. And, BTW, you're a pretty good writer, as well. You have talent. I could see you writing about hot rods, etc.

26. A real renaissance man. My dad is the same, his brother was amazing too. People are losing this type of mind-set. To look at something, wonder what makes it work and actually being able to UNDERSTAND "what makes it work" is vanishing. We just dont have it anymore.

27. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Thanks! If you want to read more, check out the Speed Wagon thread in my signature. I wrote it to brag about Dad's cool truck project.

28. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Love this story and what a great dad you have. Makes me miss mine all the more.

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thats cool stuff my dad was not handy in that way but he got his masters in industrial education and when he found me trearing somnthing apart he would stop me and find a book on it make me read it and give a test when I past the test I could go at it.
    I still have the small engine books. Sure do miss him RIP dad.

30. Ross6860

Ross6860

Not true, but you have to hunt them down...

We have hired a couple great young guys, both rodders. One even has his own shop and builds NHRA certified chassis, in addition to his regular hot rod and classic car work.

We test our applicants to see if they know a piston from their p.....(never mind). The average score is between 20% and 40%. If they score 65%-75%, they are probably worth talking to. One of these guys scored a 100%, the other a 99%. Late 20s early 30s (one was even a Sgt in the Rangers). So they are out there, but not many...

Back to the OP. You don't know how lucky you are to share a hobby with your father. I love my Dad, but he had absolutely no interest in anything I had an interest in.

One of my buddies runs a nice mustang at the local drags. He has two boys. Well, neither one thinks a car is anything but something to get you from place to place. I know he would have loved to have his boys out there wrenching with him and runnin' on Sundays. I would have loved to have a dad like that.