Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

has anyone heard lately of the restoration of the tokyo rose delivery. do not see any thing on here anymore. wonder if he still has car??

2. biscaynes

biscaynes

cherokee in the rt lane...

[​IMG]

3. biscaynes

biscaynes

couple color shots of Mr Zip...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. OldColt

OldColt

I was just reading about the current status of the old Rose color "Tokyo Rose" yesterday. Plans were to restore it as original (good thing), and read another thread saying it was going to be pro-streeted with a BBC, Glide, and tubs (bad thing). Threads were pretty old ... don't know what's happening with it now. Did save an unrestored pic of it though. rose.jpg

--- Steve ---

5. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

darn shame that car is sitting like that, i wonder if it will ever see daylight again??

6. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Biscaynes, thanks for posting these shots. I see the Trenton Speed Black 57 delivery in the other lane, these are cool shots. Rumor had Mr Zip for sale a few years back but the money was heavy for it. I don't think it could be verified to actually be Mr Zip but was rumored to be .

7. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

I would say without a doubt those heads came off a record holder. The Franks brother cars were record holders and I'm sure Wayne Walker's Mr.Zip was a record holder.

8. kjcroker

kjcroker
    from Pittsburgh

The last time I saw Marvs car it was the same.I will see the owner it Sept.and get more info.

Joe Scott told me his old delivery is still in Sunbery Pa. but not for sale.

Steve Sweitzer delivery has been Pro Streeted and owened by his brother-inlaw

9. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Tubs? really? where did you see that? Where were these threads? I personally know the guy that owns the car, and I can tell you NO WAY would that dude TUB anything! He HATES lowered vehicles of any kind and TUBBED vehicles just as much! I know I have gone to car shows with him and i'll be checking out drag cars (tubbed) and he walks away to look at stock and antique stuff. lol Put up that tubbed link so I can send it to him he will get a kick out of that!

10. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

I am sure he would post here had he not been banned! Pretty sure he still reads things but cannot post. He has posted at the junior stock on F Book. He still has the car.

11. OldColt

OldColt

Here it is for what it's worth, people can post anything on the net, might be BS.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Honestly, I'm glad to see it on the street. From what I see on here, a racer
    is gonna put bogarts on it, a BB, a glide & a brake, & probably tub it,
    because his ego wont stand for going out & running 14s with it, which is
    what it will do if properly restored. Its probably better off where it is.
    http://sports.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/StockSSDragRacing/message/58835

12. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I read through that whole thread and I see that as falcon67george's opinion of what would happen to the car if it was sold to a racer.

13. OldColt

OldColt

That thread was confusing to me in parts. At any rate, I hope the Rose gets restored properly to her original glory ... she's an important part of Stock Eliminator history.

14. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yeah it confused me too. I had to reread parts of it several times.

15. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Roaring hysterically would be my best description of his reaction to this LOL!

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This thread has finally hit 500 pages!!! On to the next 500. Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

It's hard to believe the first Junior Stock post was in 2007. There has been so much info on this thread for the last couple of years. It shows there is still a ton of interest in Junior Stockers. I'm with you guys. 500 more!!

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've been reading this thread for 6 years and can't get enough.... keep the story's and pictures coming fellas.

19. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

Anyone seen this one lately?

[​IMG]

20. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Is this the same car or a clone? Stole these off of here over the years. 56DRAGX2%2520013.jpg

56now%2520006.jpg

jimlamatrice01.jpe

21. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

The yellow car went through Barrett-Jackson several years ago. The maroon and black 210 2 door sedan in the inset was one of the late Forrest Shropshires cars. It sold at his estate sale,north Ga., in 2003 and I have lost track of it since.

22. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

DSCF6410.jpg Saw this one at Shades of the Past last September.

61Cruiser likes this.
  23. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

FI 57 chevy nut. My first guess would be in your possession but I see that it's not. So this ran "O" if I read the class correctly??? Is that correct??

24. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

It was last sold at the Icons of Speed and Style auction in 2009.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  25. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Posting this for Jolly Green Giant
    [​IMG]
    and this to make Hydrophobia happy.
    [​IMG]

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I "had" been in frequent contact with Scott about Tokyo Rose, the Delivery years. Then he got banned from the HAMB, and I lost contact. He was having employment issues, and being in the asphalt paving business, there were too few jobs; no money, no progress. Last I heard he was working again. Hope he still plans on restoring the car/truck. KickinAsphalt, just how "well" do you "know" Scott? Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

BOTH of those cars are beautiful, and still doing what they were intended to do. Butch/56sedandelivery.

28. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

[​IMG]

I'm sure it's the same car, not a clone.

I took the picture at Lions Drag Strip in late 70 or 71. I knew Jim Lamatrice very well before I went to Vietnam in '69. I know he had a set of quads and 762 heads for a 225HP. That wouldn't make it an O/S. Jim later on moved his machine shop business to Arizona. After I started reading the HAMB I tried contacting him through a Google search but never got any replies to my e mails. I wonder if he's still kicking.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  29. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I never get tired of looking at photo's of old Junior Stock cars.

It was a very cool time for drag racing and I loved watching them run.

Jimbo

30. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

I really love the enthusiasm that the junior stock group has to come to York in 2014.
    The group is awesome and we look forward to knocking their eyes out with a display
    that will be placed in the drag racing history books. We'll do a group shot of all on stage with a special presentation!