Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 31 Coupe's adventures and re build thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Aushotrods, May 26, 2013.

1. flatoz

flatoz

You've come a long way Sean,

great to see, your doing some cool stuff to that car to make it better.

That vicky is perfect. If I had of had the money I would have gotten a vicky instead of the olds, the one watson did has haunted me for years.

2. Great write up Sean.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

3. swifty

swifty

Looking good Sean, didn't realise how much work you've done on that coupe. Will it get paint this time around?

4. I'm really enjoying your "re-build". Your coupe is bad to the bone bitchin'. Subscribed.

5. TravezRipley

TravezRipley
    from San Diego

This car looks great, I want to visit the down-under.

6. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

Thanks for the kind words guys! Yep they are early 50s olds caps, i purchased off the hamb classifieds a couple years back..
    A lot of the photos are off my instagram account, my user name on there is also 'aushotrods', there's a shit load more pics on their of all sorts of shenanigans haha.
    Swifty, bare metal was never the intention, i just simply ran out of time with getting it finished in time to make the road trip. This time round it will be a painted, somewhat trimmed 'finished' car..
    I've just swtiched over to using a MAC this week so im still getting the hang of everything, thought id start some sort of journal whilst going through some photos. Trying to keep hot rodding as simple, pure and fun as possible! Had a few negative nancys along the way but you get that on the big jobs :D
    This was a pretty damn good moment, driving it out of the shop the evening before the big drive, with even enough time to go see TED at the movies haha..
    [​IMG]
    Apart from maybe one or two running out of fuel, not one car broke down for the whole drive, which was almost a miracle on our 1200 mile round trip.
    [​IMG]
    We managed to stay at the seediest hotel, in the shittiest backlot suburb of sydney, but it still felt good to make it! Welcome to our truck stop sex shack..
    [​IMG]
    Some of the guys found creativity in their drunken state haha
    [​IMG]
    The last night was pretty special, the majority of us were well worn out from a few months of no minimal sleep, but to cruise through the city of sydney alllmosst made up for it all haha.
    [​IMG]
    The shape of things to come.
    [​IMG]
    Almost a set up, the faithful flathead in the 34 ran perfect for the 3000 mile drive in one week, my coupes carbon button on the distributer held us up for around 8 hours, but the joys of Facebook and the helpfulness of car friends saved our souls!
    [​IMG]
    After Two full days of driving a car with no interior bar the seat, this was a welcome site.. we hope to make the drive again this year, but in a 32 roadster my boss and I are building.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

I lied. instead of working on the coupe on new years day, i took a break and spent the day cruising around in the shop coupe haha. Frankston is quite the notorious shithole, but the beach is pretty awesome!
    [​IMG]
    Then back at it the next day, mid-summer isnt the best time to be busting ass to get a car done!
    [​IMG]
    One of the only times i took photos of the coupe with my actual dslr camera! Decided to go for an aimless drive around the countryside one morning armed with the camera, and found an old blocked off bridge after taking a couple wrong turns.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Morning of our annual Reliability Run, put on by the River City Coupe and Roadster club.
    Although i felt my coupe didnt really fit the requirements of the run, it was a nice honor and such a great run.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At the finish,we were deemed reliable! Except the very next night, friend TJ and i were coming home from a show in the coupe, and the ballast resistor decided to call it a day at 1am.. the infamous el toro saved the day/night and towed us back to his factory, lent me his truck to get us home and helped figure out the problem the next morning.
    [​IMG]
    I hope its not considered a crime to cut up real 682-j's haha :D
    [​IMG]
    And the last picture before taking off to the last club meet the little coupe will see for a while.
    [​IMG]
    Im not really following any exact era or 'theme' as such, i guess just building what looks right in my head haha. Il try find a pic of my 'aim', but i built a model of my dream car around ten years ago as a broke 15 year old, a chopped+channeled 34 five window coupe, which was a copper bronze in colour with chrome and off white contrasts. Im turning 25 this year, im still broke but i still want to build that car, my model A isn't a model 40 but it should still look as cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I couldnt resist and bolted my five spokes onto the pickup, i like aggressive over pretty hot rods haha.
    [​IMG]
    But it still a pretty sweet car, i just hope the owner will eventually understand what he has, compared to what he had.
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

Apart from the 56 victoria, this is the only other main distraction i have from getting my coupe done. I got to 'design' a 32 roadster, that my Boss and I are building to give away at a hot rod event we're putting on next year. I want to build the kind of car an actual hot rodder would WANT to win, which may be a first in our country... ;)
    I got good friend and club mate Ryan Ford (kustomlinez) to draw up these awesome renderings, We have got the majority of parts, and will be getting stuck into it real soon.. Intend on driving the completed car in four or so months...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  9. 63Compact

63Compact

Good job Sean killer pics as usual.

10. I still can't get over how thick the filler was on that! As witnessed first hand the steel underneath certainly didn't warrant the filler to that level...

Can't wait to see what it looks like painted. Great read with some great shots.

11. tmf

tmf

Nice read. Couldnt stop once i started. Will be good to see it done.

12. v8paul

v8paul
    from england

Excellent pictures, cools cars... wish i was there !
    Thanks for posting

13. Ellllll dooooorrraaaadoooooooooooooooo!!!!

14. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

Here's an awesome little short film on my good mate TJ by the super talented guys @ FuelTank TV, which is when he painted the logo on the coupe, came out cool!
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/67283663" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/67283663">The Lost Art with TJ Guzzardi</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/fueltanktv">Fuel Tank TV</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

15. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

Little update, unfortunately not too much works been happening on my lil coupe, Ive nearly finished the underbody, fabricating a new false floor and doing some general safety things like plating seat belt points and shit. Will post some pics soon!
    The 32 roadster give away car has been getting most of my time lately, and its starting to look pretty sweet!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So is the vicky, slowly getting there, motor is all painted as is the engine bay panels, next few weeks should see it @ the trim shop!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The two cars as of tonight!
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Looking good Sean. Certainly been busy.

17. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

That vicky is nice, what color is that green ?

18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent write up and cool Aussie hot rod with FTF so is it built under the radar or can it be done with out fenders?? Any way really enjoyed coming along for the ride.keep us posted.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice story. Love your model A. Gary

20. Nice ride. I love the pics. Keep them coming.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

Hey guys thought id post a quick up date on shenanigans haha. I got my chassis sandblasted this week and back under the coupe to see how the floor looked etc. My frame needs a fair bit of work, and i will be getting the boys @ carguys to sort it, as i know they'l nail not only the quality but also their creativity and ingenuity setting them apart from most others locally.
    [​IMG]
    Heres the fun stuff, mocking it all up! I did a bunch of trading shit and saving, and heres what we're up to!
    [​IMG]
    Really want a quickchange under it but cant see that happening just yet.. :(
    [​IMG]
    Will run front brakes, massive thanks to Luke in the club for swapping me some wheels i had for the radir 12 spokes, really starting to get the cartoon show/drag look now!
    [​IMG]

22. zipperhead

zipperhead
    from Ma

Hi any chance you know the color of that little gold pickup? Killer ..would appreciate if you have it

23. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

hey zipperhead, Its a Glasurit custom mix colour, i wanted 'pagan gold' but as a pearl metallic not a candy. A friend who is our paint rep @ glasurit mixed it up, looks great!

24. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

What a good read and grouse pics Shaun, the coupe is looking great!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Nice work brother !!

26. Mart

Mart

Nice thread! I love the transformation on the gold pickup! Beautiful paint on the 57 ford.

Mart.

27. Christom

Christom

Now THAT's a hot rod! Cool car man! One of those on-going "work in progress" deals. Looks nice and old-school tuff. It's amazing how just different wheel 'n tires can totally change the flavour of a hot rod - easy too.

Neat other cars too - love all the "arty" photography. Well done you!

28. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

woah! an update! haha, havent been on here much lately! been damn on two years since ive updated this.
    Since i left it, the coupe still isnt done, but there is light! heres a few lil updates of shenanigans haha.
    Early last year, myself and a big bunch of Aussies did a trip to the states, road tripping from LA to texas for the roundup, then up to WI to hang out at midwest fabrication, one holiday i wont forget anytime soon!
    Anyways, a good mate jonesy and I went halves in a pretty sweet '63 buick i had located and organised to pick up the day we arrived in cali. Every day that we were in LA at least 6 of us piled into the lesabre and cruised around having a fucking ball! haha, the buick was shipped home to melbourne, cruised for a little bit and eventually sold when we got an offer too good to pass up! havent seen the car since either!
    We met a bunch of awesome people, heres the buick parked up out front of Starlite, great people doing some sweet work!
    [​IMG]
    Barris was closed but still made for a photo op! haha
    [​IMG]
    Moon, i guess these are your stock standard holiday happy snaps, except with the added bonus of a car! haha
    [​IMG]
    Clubmate Des and his partner Tesha had bought this buick on the same trip, this was the day before we left for home, getting the cars ready to be shipped back!
    [​IMG]

Anyway for the last year or so, i quit my job, started working for a friend doing higher end muscle car/custom/hot rod stuff which has been great to progress in skillset, i kind of shelved the coupe for a while and got stuck into my '50 ford. i re notched the chassis and using the wheels off the coupe, giving it a hot rod feel, sick of shoebox fords all looking the same! haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also distracting me and adding to automotive a.d.d is this, a car ive wanted since i was a kid! '57 rancheros rule, and this has been a great car for the last year or so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Found some Edsel wagon tail lights, ive actually just started giving this a birthday, as all 60's styled show/drag coupes need a matching tow car right? haha
    [​IMG]
    mar
    So anyway, amongst my new job going great and busy and cruising around, the coupe has finally happening!
    As mentioned a few posts above, i was able to get Mark shearer from Car guys Garage to handle the frame, which was one of the few things i had my mind/heart set on. He knew what i had in mind stance and style wise, but everything else was left to him. Its nice to have faith in good tradesman, to work their craft and creativity and nail exactly what the cars about. Couldnt be happier with what mark and greg created!
    Arriving back home after a few months at the Car Guys Garage!
    [​IMG]
    spokes. Im wanting the coupe to look like trouble, and growing up with a love for five spokes (thanks to bill vinthers coupe in pat ganahls hot rod video and my dad haha) i saved some pennies and ordered a set of ET five spokes with as little backspace as possible, with cars like uncertain-T in mind.
    Next came a trip to Ben @ Antique Tyres here in melbourne to try nut out a suitable rear tire. I think we nailed it! haha i giggled like a school girl for a while the first time i bolted them up, now its starting to look like a hot rod ;)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here it is now! pretty much exactly what i had in my mind, its awesome to see it finally happening, and im glad to have friends involved in making it happen.
    Il try keep this updated, as i finally get my little coupe to its show and go glory! haha.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Damn ! All that squeezed into 2 pages !! Exceptional all OP content !! Killer coupe man. Good bunch ya' hangin' with too.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. Holy chit - thats some serious progress !!

Looks killer dude ;)