Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who's up for the "CUP"

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by ORGANGRINDER, Jul 23, 2013.

1. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

So...we doing that "yay-hoo cup" thang again this year??

2. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

well...i guess everyone is still thrashing trying get ready and dont have time to play on the hamb! lol

i'm just have to bend my front axle back sorta straight and top off the tank and i'm ready!

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not me....got to take an airplane/rental car this year.

Yea, I'm a wuss...

-Abone.

4. Rusty

Rusty

Are they doing the Cup?

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Jeff, I write one article about you and you puss out.

6. daschaefer

daschaefer

Well this year the stars just aren't aligning for me and the ole Chicken Coupe.

Building cars in the driveway barely pays the bills,,,,,, I had to give my son Thor his engine back,,,,, and I still haven't had time to tear into last years blown-up motor.

BUT I AINT THROWING IN THE TOWEL YET.....

I got a worn out truck block, some more stock rods, a bottle of Elmers wood glue, some glass marbles and one wish left.

If Im not there racing for the CUP then I must have died trying!

7. daschaefer

daschaefer

Its been 5 days of thrashing since I last posted,
    My 8x10 work-shed is littered with two wore out BBCs completely tore down
    Ive managed to do most of my own machine work (pressing pistons, block prep, etc)

Now I check this site and there still aint nobody trash talking...........

If the Flamed A-Bone aint gonna be there, and I haven't heard from the guy with the wicked blown BBC 55 chevy from last year,,,,

,,,,, WHO AM I RACING ????,,,,

Also will the Yay-Hoo's be reposting the guidelines to compete for the "CUP"

I AINT SCARED,,,,, WHAT CHU GOT ???????

The Chicken-Coupe and the Organ Grinder will be there ready to put it down

LET THE TRASH TALKING BEGIN!!!!

8. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

.....it kinda gets ya to wonderin about all those full on race cars running in the gas coupe/sedan class, you know the class that says "hot street cars that can also hang on the track." maybe they can't hang on the street.....just doing some wonderin that's all.

9. Rusty

Rusty

Anyone heard from the Yahoos?

10. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Yeah, I know what you mean. GC/S has become the biggest class by far, with plenty of dedicated drag cars with slicks mixed in with the street tire cars. That's okay with me, though. I don't have to wait in a long staging line when I get ready to make a pass in the CC/S class!

11. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

beautiful nova..can't wait to see it running!

12. daschaefer

daschaefer

I heard there was a trash-man-dude that was gonna drive his Big-Caddy-Powered Sedan several hundred miles on his way to Joplin and after he beats the blowers and tunnel-rams, then puts his name on that cup he would race ANYBODY on Hard Street Tires just to show them the difference in "street-car" and a REAL Streetable car.

13. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

[​IMG]found these guys getting ready for the cup!!!

14. BLAKE

BLAKE

HOLY CRAP!! I'm way late to post here, but YES... the Yay-Hoos and The Cup will be there for sure. I'll craft an official post to lay it all out for the uninitated, but in the meantime expect the same gig as in previous years... the quickest ET laid down by a car driven to the HAMB Drag Nationals (at least 150 miles) wins The Cup! For that effort, they get their name added to The Cup for posterity, and they also get a hand-crafted brass dash tag stamped with their details. All you have to do is sign up with the Yay-Hoos as a cup contender and let 'er rip.

From what FLAMEDABONE and DASCHAEFER posted above, sounds like our field might be wide open this year... it could get interesting!!!!

15. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

16. Rusty

Rusty

Great news Blake!

17. jho

jho
    from Omaha

I'm going for it in this. We will see What happens

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm...very interesting...

Is that a big ol FE block? How did it do on the dyno?

Get out to your local test and tune and figure out how to get that thing to hook and you should be a contender.

Neat car, -Abone.

19. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

great!...nice car!

20. daschaefer

daschaefer

I agree with a-Bone and the OrganGrinder! JHO's chopped Coupe looks it could be a contender! Tell us more about it.

As for me,,, my car has a tendency to spit rods and pistons all over the track so you better stay way ahead where its safe!

At least this year I made my whole family sell plasma 2-3 times every week for a few months so I could afford to replace my stock rods with a new set of scat rods. Now I guess i'm gonna find out what the next weak link in my motor is..... cause, if you don't break nothin you then you ain't trying hard enough,,, Right?

21. jho

jho
    from Omaha

yes its a FE its not wild but it is built it did bad on the dyno the tires spun the number was 250 or something but theres more there my guess 425 flywheel hp it ran 12.90 @109 with a horrible 60 foot time of 2.1 sec. last year on the skinny bias plys so after all the crap ive done over the past year im hoping for anywhere in the 11s doubt thats fast enough for the cup

22. Rusty

Rusty

Always a fun one too keep up with!

23. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to stick my nose in your bussiness if you dont mind...

First, hit the dyno again and look at your air/fuel ratios for the whole curve. Don't freak about peak numbers, just see what you are doing with your ratio. Then, use those numbers to change stuff for your next pull. Jet it to get you where you need to go. Also, remember, retarded timing tends to make your ratio ritcher and advanced makes you leaner. Be thinking about that as you change your fuel curve.

Next, get your 60 foot down. 2.1 sucks. If you can get your 60 from 2.1 to 1.6, that is about a full second in the quarter. If you can't carry slicks in your car, then score a set of drag radials and get to know them. Whatever tire you use, practice your 60 with them at your local strip to get the most out of your 60. Carl does a great job with the track, but you have to have your car dialed in a much as you can before you get there.

Using my car as an example, I was stuck at 11.60 @ 119mph. After a few saturdays at the dyno and a set of drag radials (and me learning how to work them) the car finally went 10.90s at 125 at Mokan. That was 107 degrees air temp and a 3000 mile round trip. She is much quicker at normal temps at my home track, but it was good enough for the first driven to the drags 10 second timeslip.

I'm reeeal excited to see you run. Have a safe trip and good luck.

-Abone.

24. jho

jho
    from Omaha

We did a shop crawl in omaha last year and car was not completely ready for dyno it was more for show . The air fuel curve was really good for being a tri power car the shop has since closed so no more chassis dyno pulls. I did nothing to my car for the two pulls I did. it was more for fun. shit the air cleaner was even on I don't get to the local track at all first its 1/8th mile 2nd we race dirt track all summer so it tough to get there. So I'm hoping for the best. truthfully all I want is 11s most of all I'm going to joplin to have a good time. The cup would be awesome but hanging out and drinking with the yahoos is just flat out fun

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. daschaefer

daschaefer

It definitely sounds like that FE ford will be in the top of the class. And as a few guys pointed out last year its always more impressive to see a naturally aspirated car giving the blowers a run for the money.

To me the most impressive part is the drivability. That's why Flamed A Bone's 3000 mile round trip is still setting the bar for a real long distance driver..... I will only be driving from Hot Springs Arkansas again this year... my car is very streetable but my wallet just cant support 8 mpg and I haven't had time to swap to 355 gears (my 411's hate the interstate and are hitting the tires too hard in the sixty foot so I cant floor the thing till second gear.

I hated hearing the infamous Flamed Sedan isn't gonna make it this year,,, what gives?,,, my friend has a 455 with 400 heads and a hot cam if you need a loaner motor....

Anyway... Cant wait to start with a few bench races in Holiday Inn parking lot...... sure hope A-Bones rental car can keep up ....hahaha,,,shame on me,,,,

26. senior fried

senior fried

And Still the coolest thing in Hot Rodding Today. Brought to you by Blake and Company...

Attached Files:

27. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

I doubt I'll be the fastest, as I'm probably only in the 12s but I'm driving this from Colorado.

Attached Files:

28. Rusty

Rusty

You coming ??

29. daschaefer

daschaefer

When you say "only in the 12's" that's like saying "only faster than most corvettes, mustangs, porsches, Camaros and even some of the sports bikes on the road today"

That Sedan looks Wicked lifting the fronts.

This year I hope all the Cup Contenders can gather somewhere for a photo, or at least get to know each other....... Driving em is what REALLY COUNTS!