Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help Tracing Vin number

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thelost40, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Thelost40

Thelost40

How do you trace the vin number of a car from the 60's? I am trying to find out where one of my father's cars ended up. I have the Vin number and plate number but Car Fax only goes back to 81 I believe.

Any advice?

I 'm located in Massachusetts if that makes any difference on how I have to go about it.
    :confused:

2. If I may add......I'd like to know about this too. But, I only have a license # from a car I owned in the 70's. So, if it's not a hijack, and you do have this info along with info for the OP, Please add that too, thank you

3. Good luck,,many have tried few have found what they are looking for. HRP

4. Thelost40

Thelost40

Well, I have a lead but I need to know how to trace that far back. Excise tax records perhaps?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The privacy act pretty well kills most regular avenues to explore in looking for something like that.

From experience it, hard enough to get any info when you have the clear title to the vehicle sitting in front of you. All we wanted at that time was the title number as a previous owner had carried the title around in his wallet and had it folded right on the number.

And who wants someone calling them asking about a car their dad sold over 40 years ago? Not me for sure.
    It might be ok to call a previous owner of a well known rod, custom or race car to find out what that person remembers about the vehicle to add to it's history but that's a bit of a different deal entirely.

6. Why do people think carfax is the end all? Do they not know it is for the late model cars and have no info on the old cars. Mr48chev is right on the money about the privacy act, without a good reason you will not get any info unless you know someone with the right channels.

7. There is a way by knowing someone from an SIU insurance department or a Police investigator that can access the NICB (National Insurance Crime Bureau) site. In my work I have used it and there is a lot of info that can be found on a vehicle using a plate number or VIN.

8. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

I googled NICB a week or two ago. It is a free service you just plug in your vin.
    However, it says that the info it stores relates to stolen or total loss vehicles only.
    Check it out, can't hurt.
    I plugged in the vin of my 1939 Ford Ambulance, no help.

9. Yes, that part is free, there is a lot more info that can be accessed with proper ID.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER