Register now to get rid of these ads!

is 14 to young for the HAMB

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by box50, Aug 5, 2013.

1. box50

box50

My son is 14 and very interested in cars which is a good thing he does not own a car as of yet but knows what he wants and wanted to know could he join the HAMB this may be a question that has been asked 1000 times but I would like him to start learning some things from the pros thanks for any input.

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't think so... As a parent, however, that is your decision. There is language to consider. This place can be riske... and because of that, we don't really run this place for kids - ya know?

3. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'd rather see him on here than on-line gaming killing monsters and other people!
    I would say it's never too young to start learning about the old traditional hot rods if that is what he likes.
    Good luck.

4. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

My son is also 14 and deep intro cars. As much as I like the HAMB, I think it's too adult to be appropriate for him. Too much foul language and girlie pics. It's not the way we behave in our house.

Devin

5. pumpman

pumpman

When my sons were growing up they were always hanging around when my buddies and I were working on the cars. They still love old hot rods and that is good thing, but sometimes the language was very raw and I had to let them know that I did not want to hear them using that kind of language. We can't shelter our kids from the real world but I think if they want to explore something they like with the guidance of mom and dad they get through it. I'm happy to say my boys turned out good even though they hung around me and my friends. The HAMB is a wonderful place for young minds to learn and develop their own ideas from the wealth of info here. It's your call man.

6. he will be fine...he has heard those words before

7. box50

box50

That's true but some of the stuff he has on these games are way worse than being on the HAMB so it could go either way I guess you could get all kinda answers on this thanks for any input.

8. If he is 14, he already knows all the words & has already looked at girlie pictures. Everybody needs to remember back when they were 14! It is up to the parent to teach him right from wrong not hide him from the real world.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's 1965, and me at all of 8yrs old spent most every summer day at my dear departed Dad's welding shop. He raced late models back then. None of those hardcore racer types changed their demeanor when they came in. They were who they were, none of it abusive to my brother and I, it was just the vernacular. Today we get all but the worst words on regular cable TV programs, and with the likes of MTV and other worthless input in the media/entertainment industry it makes the HAMB seem like the Disney channel. What it's about, "spread the gospel of traditional Hot Rods and Kustoms to hoodlums worldwide", says it all right there. Hoodlums as recognized among those here have nothing to do with what real hood rats are today. I'd rather see a young man with his dirty T-shirt and fingernails from wrenching on his dream than see him saggin his jeans and wearin his hat sideways.

The harshness of this life aside (it's not really all that harsh), the unwritten and unspoken values of tradition, history, and especially respect are the mortar that holds this all together. Having it come through total strangers from all over the world is priceless. Just a little input from someone who lived it live and in real time. At 14 I did my 1st complete repaint on a 62 Ford unibody pickup, and without that earlier exposure it might not have happened.

10. I have a thread going here that features two of my young nephews helping me out. I show them things here on the HAMB that I think they would like or teach them something.

They arent my kids though and there is no way I would let them surf the HAMB alone. Way too much adult speak on here. I personally have no problems with the language because I realize this place wasn't built for kiddos.

Also just because a kid might hear or see things that aren't really (in my mind) kid appropriate doesn't mean Ill just toss in the towel and say ... They see this stuff all the time anyway so what does it matter? It does matter.

11. '68 C20

'68 C20
    from New York
    1. Speedsters

That is the key, it is the way your house behaves, your family values. Sure they have heard the language, and seen scantily clad females by now, but is it a lifestyle and attitude that you want to encourage as a part of there day to day activities. Allowing access to "Adult" related material is a free pass that I never gave my kids, and I raised 6 of them.

I was raised in a Garage as well with a lot of "colorful" characters around, I was also raised by an abusive mother and an alcholic father, somewhere you have to decide which values you choose to pass down because your kids will exemplify what you determine is OK, and 14 is the age where many of their lifes attitudes and values are forming.

12. 117harv

117harv

Nice to see these replies, I agree. As far as the language, well it's been around along time, don't remember my dad or older brothers using it, i'm sure they did, I don't remember hearing any.

Yes there is an onslaught of imoral everything in recent times, they are only young once, they will be adults soon enough, no need to rush it. I would say maybe 16-17, not 14, but then again it depends on their upbringing and or parental decisions.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

When I was 14, I had already heard far worst than what is on the HAMB. That, however, doesn't make it right... And that's why I think it's a decision that has to be made my the parents and the parents alone.

When my kids are 14? I wouldn't have a problem with them being on the HAMB. I would, however, have a conversation with them before hand and prepare them for some of the words they might see that are inappropriate. I hope by that age, my kids are educated enough to know for themselves what is appropriate and what isn't. But who knows... My oldest is just 7.

14. bamaheel

bamaheel

I agree with everything Ryan said above, my oldest is 10.5.

You know that .5 is very important when you are a kid.

15. D-man313

D-man313

I think I was 15 when I joined the HAMB, but that was after about 1-2 years just looking around.

16. Personally,I don't think it is a wise decision to allow your 14 year old to join the hamb but that is strictly up to you.

You are aware of the salty language and some members can be harsh at times,but then I think back about HAMBANDY,didn't he join at about 12 years old?,,,and passed away at 14,,, we all loved that kid. :( HRP

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This place is tame compared to what he's already exposed to. Let's be honest, the really inappropriate stuff is either deleted or looks so dumb he's not gonna think it's "cool". There are kids on here who are 16 who are DONE building cars they started on when they were 12 and first came here. That's freakin rad.

18. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

What a great way for a father and son to bond and spend time together! As for the language and pics, if ya raised him right he will know right from wrong....the valuable info and comradeship from most of the members will outway the F-bombs and adolescent behavior of a few.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. box50

box50

He will just overlook the language he does it at school already I think he just want's to just fit in right at the moment to say he's on the HAMB until he gets a car or a truck he may not even be on hear that much I have pretty much raised him since he was 2 years old I mean he uses my name now for pass words on his games he is kinda lazy to be honest but he really want's to work on things and that's a good thing get him away from that Xbox.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Let me know his username and I'll look after him too...

21. Good deal!:) HRP

22. Language? I think spelling is a bigger issue:eek:

23. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I think its fine as long as he remembers he's a kid and we aren't. He should read and learn and ask questions but refrain from spouting off til he's got a few years under his belt. It would be good if his signature states his age then we all know who we're talking too, and we'll take him under our arm.
    Ed

Twitter @edsrodshop

24. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

I think with parental guidance as most have stated, I would much rather have them on here than Facebook!

25. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

I agree^^^^^^Good idea

26. box50

box50

I will Ryan and I do think you he is not in a super hurry but just wants to be able to say he belongs to something like the HAMB. He will learn a lot more good than bad on hear.

Thank's Chris

27. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Never too young to be kool!

28. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i wasn't much older than that when i started hanging out at the local gas station. learned a lot about working on cars. and as far as this forum is concerned, he should learn a lot--i know i have!

29. Speak for yourself :p!

30. Hemishovel

Hemishovel

Better being on here and learning about cars than hanging around kids who do drugs and get in to trouble glad to see at 14 he is interested in cars. I was at that age asked a lot ? From older guys wish there was a site like this when I was young but no internet back than did not know anything what computer was I guess that shows my age