Register now to get rid of these ads!

Live or Die Trying...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I no longer surf, but did a lot in my younger days from Baja Mexico clear up through Malibu.

As much as everyone stereotypes the woody wagon as the classic surfboard hauler, I'm sure they were far outnumbered by regular old beater sedans, etc.

Here's 37 Sedan beach bomber from Socal;

Attached Files:

2. My 3 year old son Noah has really taken to the water and surfing...if you guys are ever in Boston..I am on the North Shore..... A block from a real nice longboard wave

3. Bunch of cool surf pics, several I hadn't seen before. We have gotten into the habit of going to Maui in May for about 4 years straight now. I like to watch the surfers, but I don't think my knees would take the abuse. Maybe next time I should give it a shot ... maybe.

I really do love the ocean though. I could just sit there on the beach forever. Put on a snorkel now and then to mix it up a little.

4. Here's a few:

Attached Files:

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

One of my true loves is going to the beach … I finally find a chick that fully suports my old car addiction and she hates the beach.

It seems I cant catch a win win for shit :confused: thanks for the reminder

6. That '33 Fordor is somethin' else!

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

There's a '32 Phaeton in the DEUCE book from TRJ that's got some lovely 70's gals hanging out the back with a surfboard I think. That's so killer.

8. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

[​IMG]

No I can't surf, but I can draw -or in my case scratch. I love all surf heaps from back in the day.

9. 53chevy

53chevy

My Favorite, I miss surfing.......Hope to be back on the coast soon!

Perfect Combo, '49 Custom Chevrolet and long boards....Endless Summer

[​IMG]

10. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

So funny, I just finished watching a box set of Bikini Beach movies this weekend, that I borrowed from a friend. Then I drove my '64 C-10, to see Dwight Yokum, last night for free, with my date sitting next to me. I think cool cars and trucks just make everything that much better!

11. Jay71

Jay71

I would love to have been around in those early surfing days. What an adventure it must have been. These days the vast majority of surfers pull up in cookie cutter suv's and a chip on their shoulder. After 30 solid years of surfing it is still the place I go to find balance in life. Can't think of a better place to put things in perspective Ryan. Cool to see u passing the stoke on to the next generation.

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

Nothing better than a longboard and an RPU....or a woodie...or a Nomad....or a panel.Simplicity is where it's at.

13. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Great post. Its never too late to become a full time surf bum. I love the kid surf shots! The '37 a guy posted belonged to Bob Simmons, who slept in the back and created some very influential surfboards in the late 40's early 50's. A fellow worth looking up if any of you are interested in surf history or fringe dwelling American inventors.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  14. 51woodie

51woodie

60 and still surfing- and All Those vintage shots are all great. I never realized we had so many hot rod surfers on the hamb. The glove box shot is my 16 year old's '64 suburban signed by Wingnut and Robert August. On the right coast in the 60's VW and econoline vans were the transportation of choice, mainly cause they were cheap and you could sleep in them.

Attached Files:

15. You better move here Ryan. Surf's up. We got the salt too.

16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I have no doubt she may be a natural talent, there's no denying that kids have a natural "center of gravity" advantage that us older folks lack.

17. It happens, there is more to life than surfing and cars. I definitely spent a bit too much time out of the water, last couple years due to being a single dad with a young son, but now he has his first wetsuit and LOVES the water, staying true to his name...Noah.

I use to go everywhere to surf at the drop of the hat, Costa Rica, Hawaii, mid and north coast of Maine, Nova Scotia, California, Hatteras, Block Island RI, Long Island, Jersey...all over, it was a blast but so is playing with dinosaurs and exploring the woods with my son, bbqing and spending time with family.

Surfing will always be there, key for me is to stay fit, over the last year tuned my body up again with almost daily workouts and running. The last couple years has been a return to my core interests, big changes came with being a single dad. .

Surfing is like riding a bike, so get back out there when you can. I mainly ride shortboards but just picked up a new custom Robert August 10 foot Mike Doyle Model to replace the one I sold like an idiot 8 years ago...I now live a block from a beautiful longboard wave and didn't have the right board until now. I also have a 65 Skip Frye Double Eagle that I took out only a couple times, but plan to use it this fall.

18. I started surfing in the early 90's. My friends and I were always made fun of because we surfed longboards, and at that time that type of surfing was just making a come back. There was eight of us, and we would wake up at 4:00 a.m. to be at the beach by five, despite staying up late watching old Bruce Brown flicks. We would do this so the eight of us could surf an honest to god line up, and enjoy ourselves with no one around. This past weekend I sat in a hoard of 40 guys, and while everyone was very nice, it made me realize times have changed. Afterwards when I went in to nearby surf shop I came across a poster of San O in the late fifties. It was full but crowded, period wagons and trucks could be picked out, there was even the occasional balsa board. The poster made me imagine what it would have been like to surf Encinitas back then. You paddle out, maybe there is a couple of other guys, but its ok because there are plenty of waves; besides people still surfed with tact and manner more often then they did with aggression. In case you can't tell i'm a little jealous of the guys who grew up coastal in the 50's and 60's. It must have been a special time.

19. McFly

McFly

Here is my most favorite surfmobile...34 Panel. I would trade my 32 5W in a heartbeat for this old Ford. I wonder if it's still around.

Dave Smith & John Wileman '34 Ford Panel...Hot Rod June '63 issue.

Hot Damn!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Jay71

Jay71

Good call Mcfly! That panel is beyond bitchen. Wow.

21. Lucky here..though surfing has become HUGE, McNamara, Sam Hammer, and slew of others here regularly....araspecially with pros toeing in during Rhode Island hurricane swell...we head to Maine and surf empty big surf.....though all the breaks around me on tt he north shore of ma get so packed now

22. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Can't beat an old wagon for surfboard transportation! You need to get out to ca and get some real waves! Ill get you to some good ones if you come to WCK show! On a side note, many of the original surf shapers like Jacobs, velzy, and a few other South Bay guys were hot rod and custom guys too. My friend Tyler Hatzikian from Tyler Surfboards is building this 41 ford when he is not shaping the nicest traditional style boards around! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375857570.846975.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. I wanted to put a board rack on my first Roadster but after a few surgeries I "nixed" the surfing and stuck with driving the Roadster to the shoreline for a dip instead!

24. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

There is some surfing around here at Tofino and some other West Coast beaches.
    I thought of getting a roof rack and putting a surfboard on my Acadian Longroof and making it into a surf wagon, but the most I have ever tried is boogie boarding (I don't swim good enough to try surfing) and I don't want to look like a poser.
    How about some more pics of surf wagons...

25. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Longboards rule.

26. seatex

seatex

Man, if your avatar doesn't make a fella want to take up surfing, NOTHING WILL!:eek::rolleyes::p

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Tyler is actually shaping a board for my daughter right now! Completely stoked.

28. Weasel

Weasel

Let's go surfin....

[​IMG]

29. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Surfing and hot rods, my favorites. Surf was flat this week so I rejetted my carbs last night. Took this photo before calling it a night.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

30. some of mine

Attached Files: