Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 chevrolet sedan delivery rebuild/customization

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oilslinger53, Jan 16, 2010.

1. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Lookin good.Its a shame,it takes an accident to redo the car right.Thats when you find all the mistakes.Keep the pics coming...

2. 53chevsd

53chevsd
    from alaska

I've got a 53 sedan delivery as well. work in progress. 292 with a t-5 behind it. 12 bolt rear. body is pretty rust free, but got several small dents. nothing major. I feel your pain!

3. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

I see you haven't been active or posted in a while, but I'm really curious to whatever became of this cool car? So if you read this, let us know!

4. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Hey everybody, it's been a long time! Almost three and a half years as a matter of fact! Well, my car has sat neglected for all this time. in this time i found the womarn ive always wanted, purchased the company i was working for, and had a child. for most of this time i was living with my young family in a small apartment in the ghetto, while my car sat in my parents driveway, virtually untouched. The elements have taken their toll... As we all know, primer will NOT protect you're bare metal against sun, wind, and rain.

A couple months ago we moved into a nice house, with a huge yard and a decent sized garage. I feel bad for neglecting my car, but family comes first.

Now, it's time to get back to work on ol' blue!

I've ditched many of my custom plans, and will basically be doing the car exactly how it was before the wreck, but with a few minor touches, and a completely redesigned interior.

It feels good to be back in the garage, and I will keep you all posted on my progress-

Here's what my car devolved to- sanding by hand first night in the garage, tomorrow I'm gonna buy some cheap air tools. Rust is coming off pretty easy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks like shit, but it still runs like a top!

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Here's my new pride and joy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. slosteve

slosteve

Glad to see you still have the car, and the desire.

Steve

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Congrats on your new family and I am looking forward to seeing the delivery come together!!

8. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Started sanding off the rust, and the rust on the signboard came off pretty easy.
    [​IMG]

When I got to the top I found the rust on the horizontal surface was much more stubborn... I fucking hate sanding, especially with my underpowered air compressor... I looked around my garage, and my eyes sat upon my jug of nickel gaurd ice machine cleaner... Phosphoric acid... So I made a barrier with old shop towels around the top of my car to keep the stuff from running down onto the ground and into the crevices of the belt line, and filled up a spray bottle.

Acid is so much easier than sanding... Spray it on, rub it in, wait, rinse, repeat!

By the third application you are just wiping the rust off with a towel!!!

The next day it leaves behind a rainbow finish with a slightly rough white haze, and you still have to sand, but this stuff comes off easier than primer overspray.
    [​IMG] ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377065159.349796.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations! Good to see the car project moving along. Bob

10. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Thanks for the congrats and stuff fellas. Got the windshield and gasket out in one piece, and finished stripping around the edges, and gutters. Just gotta strip the rear door gutter, and scribe the whole roof with acid one more time, then it's time for etching primer... Then the LONG TEDIOUS process of blocking this giant roof...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377330919.640317.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. Looks good...
    Love these delivery cars, nice work. Love the color too

12. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Hey mate, any progress! Got 51' SD myself and stumbled across your build.

13. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Life got in the way again, so no recent progress. Was getting stuff done, then had a little girl (intentionally) and so the car has once again been sitting.

Moved from West Covina to San Dimas last month so I got to do a little 7 mile banzai run with no registration or windows, but I figured the tags are the same color now as the last time it was registered, so why not?. That was fun, and gave me a spark, so I'm going to do as much as I can by hand (no compressor) at night.

Little girls almost two, little boys five, and both are a handful so I get very little free time, and unfortunately my bedroom shares a wall with the garage, so noisy nights are out.

I figure in a year we won't need to have eyes on the girl 24/7, and the boy will be old enough to help.

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Will keep you all posted!

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

I finally found a cheap local one...just before I became too sick to work on it ![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Hey @oilslinger53 ,
    Get ya ass back in the shed, and git er done. :D
    This is a cool SD, and I still remember when you started on it.
    Was glad to see koolkemp had bumped this back up, but you've been missing since last year.:(
    Your going to need a back seat with belts for the little uns now.

koolkemp likes this.