Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headlight/dash lights question....57 buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fastlane1, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Fastlane1

Fastlane1

On my 57 buick when i pull the l headlight switch out to the first notch I have dash lights but when I pull it out for the headlights I lose dash lights. Does anybody have any idea why that it is?

2. Fastlane1

Fastlane1

3. May be on the wrong terminal. Are a bad switch. Betting a bad switch. The resistor in the switch help make those work. Do they work when you turn the switch right to left.

4. Fastlane1

Fastlane1

If your meaning the blinker indicators yes those work.

5. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey
    from Moline IL

Actually I think 325w was referring to the resistor (rheostat) built into the switch that controls the brightness of the dash lights. You might try rotating the knob back and forth to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, it's time to get out the wiring diagrams and multi-meter to check out the switch.

Maybe someone else here on the HAMB can provide a quick schematic?

6. 55willys

55willys

CHECK ALL GROUNDS!!! Most electrical problems can be traced to a faulty ground. Electricity is lazy and seeks the path of least resistance and will use a bulb of a differing resistance to ground through. I would test the headlight switch first to see that it is functioning properly then go from there. Hope this helps Jim (55willys)

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Perhaps your switch is miswired. You could have the dash lights wired to the front parking light terminal and the park lights wired to the dash light terminal. (Terminals are referred to on headlight switch)

8. Fastlane1

Fastlane1

I will do some testing and see what I come up with.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Is there a dimmer for dash lights in a 57?

10. Yes, it should have a dimmer on the dash lights. I believe that came about with the switch over to 12V in the GM cars.

11. Fastlane1

Fastlane1

Everything is wired correctly. Switch?

12. Fastlane1

Fastlane1

What's the best way to test the switch?

13. Fastlane1

Fastlane1

Where is the best place to get a new headlight switch?

14. I've got the opposite problem sort of. First notch, interior lights and running lights on. Second notch, headlights and interior on. However, I can never adjust the brightness of the interior lights. Not sure where you can get another switch but good luck

15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Sometimes the switch can get some rust. It may be worng but ive had good luck with some wd40 or gibbs. Does it feel gritty when you twist the knob? You could switch the wires around. Do you really need the park lights with dash lights?

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Dimming resistors were in use by 1940 or so in most cars. 12V had nothing to do with it.

17. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

My buddies switch stopped working due to the rheostat. We just wired the dash lights to another post so they came on full blast when the lights were on. Bypassed the rheostat all together, at least until or if he gets a new switch.

18. First position should be parking lights and dash. Second should kill front parking lights and add headlights. If you still have front parking lights ON with the headlights, the dash lights might be on wrong terminal. If all is correct, clean the reostat's coil, and make sure the tab is making contact with the coil.

Cosmo

19. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

mine was giving me fits also. Found a bad headlight ground and problem solved

20. my money is on a bad earth somewhere.