Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cool find in the woods...need help with ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bagged50Buick, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

My buddy just bought a place in Northern NH. I went to check the place out and found an old farm dump on the property. We were looking through all the stuff and found an old homemade trailer. What was cool was the completely aluminum rear end that they made it from. It looks like an old quickchange, no real markings just some numbers on both axle tubes. Measures about 48". Anyone have any info on this??

Attached Files:

2. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

I have more pics but I have to resize them all....I will post more later.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That looks like a worm drive rear end. They were used in heavy trucks (think dump truck) and Stutz cars 1926 - 36.

They were also used by some foreign cars like Peugeot.

Stutz were heavy cars but not as heavy as a dump truck. How big is the rear end? It doesn't look like pics I have seen of a Stutz rear end but who knows if they made different kinds?

I'm leaning towards it being off a Peugeot from the fifties or sixties. If so it will have a torque tube drive and coil springs. A Peugeot was about the size of an old Volvo.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. I vote for mid 60's to late 70's Peugeot 404. This picture was grabbed from a site with tear down instructions.

Attached Files:

5. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

I think you guys nailed it, that is definitely what it is. Nailhead Dodge's picture is exactly what it looks like. Damn, thought it may be an old speed part. There is a lot of dirt track racing history here in this area. Thanks guys....I will throw it back in the woods where it came from.

6. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

yep, best thing to do

7. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Too bad you couldn't find a use for it in a rod... People would be trying to figure that one out for quite a while at a car show :rolleyes:

8. GTS225

GTS225

Oh, HELL NO! That would make a great rear for some type of pit cart or kids go-kart. Make use of that.

Roger

9. RamJet1

RamJet1

^^What GTS225 said^^

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Polish it up and use it in a 4 cylinder T bucket.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Wonder what the gear ratio is?

12. terryble

terryble
    from canada

1. That took 2 hours to solve, is the HAMB slowing down?

2. Got me thinking how does one figure out the gear ratio in a worm drive diff?

13. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Having a knowledge base on the HAMB that can actually identify antique Peugeot parts, quickly, is getting downright spooky. :D

14. A friend has one in his garden as garden art. Looks great with old flathead blocks and other old car stuff.

15. That and the fact there was actually an entire discussion about them here a few months back!:D

16. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Doodlebug it!

There's probably more oddball parts lying around. Find some more junk and an engine nobody wants to run.

17. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

TMAN shouldn't you be packing right now??