Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Mercury project...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by redranch, Sep 11, 2012.

1. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Nice build. You are doing a great job on this Merc!

2. Thanks...it's finally getting done after several false starts. I 'hope' to have it back in the road for next summer.

3. That's the hood done and ready for paint...now to start on the body...more photos to follow

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. man it must be nerve racking to pay somebody to work on your half way across the world. way to stick with it tho!way to go.

5. Having been let down by guys that saythey are doing work and nothing gets done...it's finally good to have someone that does the work and sends me regular updates.
    I'm luckier than most as I get to travel for work, which means I get the chance to come back to California a few times a year...so I make some time to see the car and the progress...so all is good.

Thanks

6. sololobo

sololobo

U r good! dig it man. ~sololobo~

7. Here are some recent before and after photos of the trunk lid...I'll have more detail photos when I visit the car in a few weeks. It looks to be in good condition when I bought the car...but like all project cars there was fair bit of bondo covering the problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. As you can see from the new photos it seems the floor is toast...so should I give up and admit defeat and lose a ton of money...or spend more money and find replacement floor pans...or I'm tempted to find an unfinished 2/4 door project with a good floor that I can use. time to have a think about what to do next...but if anyone knows of a reasonable 2 or 4 door that I can use the floors from then I'd be happy you hear from you.

Cheers

Peter

Attached Files:

9. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

You might consider checking the Mercury parts thread. One of the frequent Mercury contributors makes some nice floor pans, toe boards, & door bottoms and the price won't break the bank. It is relatively common to Find inner/outer rockers and floors eaten by corrosion cancer since FoMoCo didn't prime stuff well on the inner panels. The other parts that are common look like they have already been attended to. Mike Dundon (Green Mountain Parts) may still be reproducing rockers and there is another source for the outers now too. This is the most time consuming things about rebuilding or restoring the mid century Mercs. Its's not easy to find one of these cars (either 2-door or 4-door) that have no corrosion but there may be a few out there left in the dry states.

10. Great progress. Long road ahead...I've been there. Keep us updated

11. slddnmatt here on the HAMB makes beautiful replacement floor pans. Give him a shout, I'm sure he can set you up.

12. I thought it's about time for an update to the Mercury project.

The car is now with Rudy at 'Fullerton Fabrications', he's already stripped, blasted and repaired the chassis and is now working on the body, for now we are still doing rust repairs before we get into any modifications to the bodywork...so still lot's of work to do, but the car is in good hands.

I've also sold the 351 Windsor and bought a 1950 flathead to go back into the Mercury, the engine is with Chris Thoensen at 'Taylor Engine Rebuilding' which as luck would have it is next door to Rudy's workshop.

I'll be going back in Sept to see the car again and take a few more photos.

Attached Files:

13. Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  14. Rudy does some fantastic work. You will be pleased with the end result.

15. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

Another one being "saved the right way"
    Thanks for doing it....I'll be watching this build for sure

16. I thought I post a quick update on the work that Rudy is doing on the Mercury. We still have a long way to go but at least some of those rust issues are being sorted the right way.

I'm looking forward to my next trip out there in just a few weeks and I can post more photos of the work.

Attached Files:

17. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

I am always glad to see a car this bad being saved. I know because I've saved them this same way.
    It is expensive, most time costing more than if you would have just found a better car to start with.
    It is very labor intense...truly a labor of love.
    But above all, it is the ultimate sign of respect.
    Once again, thanks for doing this, if it weren't for guys like you, these cars would just go away.

18. Mac_man_51

Mac_man_51

I agree with you. If we didn't have people dedicated to the classic and antique cars they would become part of this earth. Or pop cans.

I love your passion for this car and its resurrection.

Those rockers look like a great fit. Do you remember where they were from?

You can troll sleddnmatts threads. His floors look amazing. I haven't heard of any fitments yet . But I'm sure your builder would have an easy time of installing them.

Keep it up!!!

Posted using the tubbed Lead-sled with a blower H.A.M.B. App!

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Good to see the merc moving forward for ya. It's in good hands with them.

20. jfrolka

jfrolka

You picked a shop that knows how to build a true kustom. Very cool to see a flathead going back in, nothin beats a merc with a original drivetrain and chassis period.

Is she stayin on springs??

21. Damn, that's a long haul. But it's gonna be worth it.

22. RR496

RR496

Can't wait to see it finished...

23. Thanks for the comments, it's been a long time coming (about 7 years on and off)...but I feel we are going to get this finished sometime next year.

24. Hi Mac_man_51, if I remember correctly the rocker were from Mercuryland, but they had to be massaged a little to fit correctly. The large fenders skirts were new and fitted first time.
    Yes, slddnmatt produces great parts for the Mercury, but just be chance we managed to find the parts we needed from an old 4 door Merc that had been cut up for another project and the sections they didn't need were exactly what we were after...

25. Hi Mat (slddnmatt), thanks for the comment, yes I finally got the project underway. It was great to visit your workshop with all those wonderful Mercurys your working on.
    I'm back in CA in Sept to have a look at the progress, maybe I'll drop in again and say hello.
    Peter

26. Hi jfrolka, yes we are going to keep it mostly stock, so springs...now that the chassis is solid again my first priority is to get a rust free body. Then we can decide if any subtle mods are needed.

Cheers
    Peter

27. For those of you that haven't seen the work of Rudy from Fullerton Fabrications, then check out this 40 Mercury he created....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552849&highlight=fullerton+fabrication

You can find him on facebook too (don't forget to 'like' his page):

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fullerton-Fabrication/186719908013433

28. I thought I'd add a few photos of the donor car I bought it...Rudy was able to save most of sections and parts that I needed. Although it had been painted black at some stage I quite like the original color on the firewall, it looks like a light metallic gold or tan.

Attached Files:

29. jfrolka

jfrolka

They do look good without a chop and a decent drop.

30. Exactly...so many have had 'bad' chops over the years, it nice to see one that hasn't had a chop but a decent drop and small subtle changes can look so good.