Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Dodge pickup

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Fonzo, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Fonzo

Fonzo
    from New Jersey

I have a 1950 Dodge Model B2C, 3/4 ton pickup truck that I just purchased about one month ago from OK. I sent the steering box out to get rebuilt and now changing the tie-rod and stabilizer bar in order to tighten up the front end.

The truck goes 40 to 45 miles an hour. I need to change a rear gears or the whole rear to something like a 355 or 340 gearing in order to make to truck more roadworthy so I can go 60 to 65 miles an hour. I was possible looking for a rear out of a 60 to 70 B-Body. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Fonzo

2. chafin

chafin

You can usually find one on Craigslist pretty often or check on Forabodiesonly.com and some of there sister sites

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Fozo, you realize you are in the introduction fourm and no where in your double post have your introduced yourself...?

4. Fonzo

Fonzo
    from New Jersey

Hey gentlemen, this is Fonzo's son, Dan. He's new to the forums, so I'm here to help him out (I'm not a member here, but am on FBBO).

He just picked up a SWEET 1950 B2C from a gentleman in OK and had it trucked back to NJ. He had one just like it when he turned 17 (though that one was yellow with red fenders that he painted himself with Rustoleum). :D

Here are some pics of his new baby. 99.9% rust free and 100% original. The gentleman he bought it from had it in the family since new - his father used it to harvest grain on the farm and kept it stored in the shed between harvests.

The paint and interior were refreshed in the late 90's and it even has the original oak bed which was protected under a steel plate they installed at some point along the way. Original flathead 6 starts right up and runs like the day it came off the line (no kiddin').

The gentleman and his wife were even kind enough to include a care package with some original documentation and some parts like the original radio, window and door gaskets, NOS door handles, NOS cowl vent and a spare NOS directional signal mechanism.

Here are some photos of her plus one from the night it was delivered (during a massive storm lol). Enjoy!

Attached Files:

5. Fonzo

Fonzo
    from New Jersey

(this is dan again). Here is the rear end that came on the truck. I'm a B Body guy but no one on FBBO has even heard of these casting numbers. The rear looks to me like a 8 3/4 but those casting numbers are just wrong. I *think* it's the original floating axle assembly that I guess MoPar later decided to base the 8 3/4 on.

Can anyone confirm what this rear is? It's in the shop right now so we can't measure drum to drum but will be doing that as soon as he gets it back.

thanks again,

Dan

Attached Files:

6. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

that appears to be an original B2C rear axle, which are pre-8 3/4...the gear ratio should be on the casting near the fill plug, somewhere in the 4.1 to 4.3 range. I've had guys try to tell me that this flat 6 + rear axle high gear ratio can go 70 mph, but the engine is turning so fast that I'd be afraid that it'll throw a rod or sumthin'ruther...so doing 45 in one of these ol' beasts sounds about right. Another reason these things shouldn't be driven too fast is that the brakes will not stop on a dime, no matter how well they are adjusted. So if'n ya want more speed, ya might as well invest in some disc brakes up front (rustyhope.com might be able to help there) :cool:

7. gtopillado

gtopillado

Good to see another Dodge truck out there. I remember driving my P/U on freeways at 55, it was winding at that speed...think the stock gears on mine are around 4.33. Isn't there anyone that has a ring and pinion for these stock rear ends? 3.90 would be nice

8. Apittslife

Apittslife

There are a few threads on this at Pilothouse .com

You should be able to use a Ring & pinion from a car of the same vintage. Which ones I have no clue, as I am doing the Dakota frame swap.

There are quite a few guys using Jeep Cherokee rear axle assy's.
    Add Rusty's front Disk brake kit, & a Power Booster/Master cylinder, & you won't be scared when you "NEED" to hit the brakes.

BTW: Nice Truck! :D

9. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Welcome! yes thats way earlier than a 8.75(first year 1957) I agree a nice 8.75 out of a B or E body would fit nice in there. my 8.75 is out of a 69 Roadrunner in my 57 Dodge almost the exact same size as your 50 and it fit perfect width wise. Mine had the same problem (topped out at 45mph) and now with 3.55 and a sure grip it will do well over 100mph.

10. welcome to the site ...

11. Voodoocld

Voodoocld
    from OK

Was this bought out of stillwater by any chance? If so i think i grew up 5 houses down from that truck.

12. rindalleer

rindalleer
    from Montana

What engine is pushing you to 100 in your old pickup? I have a stock flathead 6 with a 5 speed overdrive (from achevy S-10) and a Jeep Cherokee rear end. I can get about 70-75 out of mine but I have to "guide" it down the road.

13. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Mine is a 1955 Fargo, with 251 flathead, 4 spd 80s Mopar 3.23 rear end. I have had her up to 70 once, . I can tell you once getting up in speed these old girls get a little fun.
    Mind you with tall tires and a 3.23 diff, RPMs are not that high at 60mph.
    I always thought of a T5 conversion, but with 3.23 gears, do not see the need, might be a bit sluggish in 5th OD with the 3.23 rearend, with a good wind, or in hilly terrain.
    I know 1 thing, my old flattie Fargo, ain't no Earl Edgerton salt racer, sure wish I had some of those goodies on this engine though..

14. I just installed a Dana axle from a 1987 Cherokee with 3.55 gears, much better than the stock 3.90 that I had. Parts are easier and less expensive as well. Brake shoes for the Dodge rear cost me $86 plus shipping, and the 4 wheels cylinders and individually adjustable shoes were a pain. Welcome to the HAMB!

15. 1950DodgeB2C

1950DodgeB2C
    from Kansas

Hey guys im working on a dodge truck b2c nd im trying to get the bolts out of the intake and exhaust and the ones in the center of the manifold has one stripped bolt its one of the two center bolts that connect the exhaust and intake together.. And its rounded and i cant get it out any tipps or tricks?? Thank you ive been restoring this truck sonce i was 7th grade your help would be mich appreciated!!!