Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features '36 Chrysler coupe - mild custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skiviskaves, Jul 26, 2013.

1. johnod

johnod

Man that's a nice looking car!

2. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Thanks guys! CharlieBob, thanks for sharing that rendering, really really cool. Got a new desktop wallpaper. :D

3. Attached Files:

4. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

So after I got the starter working I was able to enjoy the car for a couple weeks, got her to a few shows, and drove her to work. I was gearing up and proving the car, taking it further and further from home, getting ready to take the long haul (about 150 miles from home) to the Symco Shakedown, a show I desperately wanted to take the car to. Symco is IMO the pinnacle of traditional shows. And then, you guessed it, the day before the show, car won't start, no spark!

After replacing the entire ignition system, still no spark. I must have a short somewhere. It was clear when I bought the car that the wiring was less than stellar, in fact it was simply put; a fire hazard. There is no fuse block. The terminal box for the car is essentially the ignition switch, from which the entire car is powered. I mean, I have 15 wires coming off the 3-post ignition switch into a rats nest under the dash. And the wires, well they are not great, thin, old, and brittle. When I started chasing the short I discovered that the main wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid was actually (5) wires patched together, some of the splices were just electrical tape! :eek: That's when I called it, this car needs to be completely rewired. I did make Symco, but the '36 did not.

Bringing me to today. Tonight I will be starting the wiring project, something I've never tackled before. Frankly I've always hated electrical shit :confused:. I picked up a 14 circuit harness from Kwik Wire. The choice basically came down to supporting local guys (Kwik is here in WI). I also liked the fact that their kit comes with a bunch of connectors, alternator plug, headlight plugs, push-ons, ring terminals, butt splices, grommets, wire ties, etc. I should be able to get pretty far on the project with just what came in the box.
    So, here I go, wish me luck. Hope to have the car on the road again next week.

5. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Current ignition switch wiring!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  6. arthurC3

arthurC3

Hey,good luck on that project.My '38 Dodge is in the same shape.I have run a separate ground for all the electrical components.Also,run a ground from the frame to the engine,and ground wire from the tail light stalks to the frame.My lights were dim on one side until that was done.I just used the 12 volt to 6 volt reducer from Vintage Auto Garage so I could keep the original radio.They also have the adapters so you can keep the original gauges.I have the fuse block on my car temporarily. I got my 6v generator rebuilt to 12v at Kastner Electric.They provided the voltage regulator to match and now the charging system works great!Later.

7. Just playing around...

[​IMG]

8. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Thanks for the tips! Hey, you are right down the street, feel free to stop over and supervise. :D

Oh my God, that looks amazing! You nailed the stance I'm after, and that chop is taking my breath away. Seriously, so cool! Hope you don't mind, my new avatar. Thanks!!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  9. farmer12

farmer12

That photoshop chop looks amazing!!! I say it's time to start cutting!

10. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380556834.672752.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380556898.334851.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380556911.368334.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380556942.384888.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380556967.651439.jpg

Wires, wires, everywhere.
    Slow but sure, I'm getting there.

Attached Files:

11. 36Airflow

36Airflow
    from Norway

Wow, this is one cool 36! Love how you lowered it! It sure made a big difference! Glad the top didn't get choped!

12. That has turned a beautiful car into an amazing custom.
    Love it heaps.

13. 36Airflow

36Airflow
    from Norway

The Airstream grille is quite similar to my Airflow grille. Cool cars.
    [​IMG]

14. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

After 2 months off the road the car is finally re-wired. Got the seat back in and the hood back on last night and took a nice little heater, man I love driving it. Tonight she gets rewarded with a wash and wax. :)

15. El Tortuga

El Tortuga

My dad had a 38 Chrysler, I think just about every car looks good with a mild chop but to me your car is perfect the way it is. Plus it is so nice and original I wouldn't have the heart to chop it. Its a unusual beautiful car to begin with and what you have done looks perfect to me.

16. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Skiviskaves, your car is truly elegant, but El Tortuga does have a point about the car looking perfect, at least in our eyes. It is your car and your decision, but it looks sooo fine just like she is. Good luck with whatever you decide.

17. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really don't think I'll be chopping the car, but if I ever do it would be many many years from now. With the car out of commision for the past 2 months I'm making up for lost time...couldn't resist taking it out last night in the pouring rain, made for a great ride on Halloween night. I also drove the car to work today though it is only sprinkling. Looking at the car in the parking lot, I really like the look of the front end at stock height. I was convinced I would lower the front a couple inches but now I'm having second thoughts. I know that ultimately I'll have to make the decision, but I'm fishing for opinions...drop the front?

18. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383320615.802152.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383320643.280633.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383320672.214220.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383320684.649359.jpg
    A few more photos, different perspective for reference. To drop the front, or not, that is the question.

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Beautiful car, but don't you get nosebleeds with the front end that high?;)
    I didn't know the Chrysler didn't have a tube axle like Dodge in '36.

Brian

20. 4woody

4woody

I say make it level, or at least drop the nose a bit.
    To me it is too nose high (but beautiful nonetheless).

21. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man....what a beautiful car!! So for someone who just finished their first wiring job...how was it?

22. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Thanks. The wiring job wasn't too bad, I actually enjoyed it to a certain extent. I thought it would take a weekend, ended up taking about a month of picking away at it. I'm a pretty methodical person so I took my time getting it right to my satisfaction. Didn't even attempt to start the car until the wiring was all pretty much completely done. If I had to do it over I definitely would have bought a smaller harness for this car. I used a 14 circuit harness which was major overkill. I have just about as many extra wires bundled up under the dash as I have hooked up. I ran some of the extra wires for possible future additions of fog lights and accessories. Kept a lot of wires that I'll probably never use thinking that maybe someday I (or future owner) will want some of these features, electric fan, power windows, etc, but I'm sure I never will. I've never owned a car with power windows, one less thing to break. Rewiring a complete car like mine added a few challenges, I definitely would have routed some wires differently if I didn't have a complete finished interior. The Kwik Wire kit I used was pretty straight forward, luckily, because their instruction book was not helpful at all. If you know how to wire it's a no-brainer kit, for me it took a little brain power but really not bad.
    My advise to anyone wiring a car, TAKE YOUR TIME and it will turn out nice.
    Also, I'm looking for a 3-4 ft length of cloth wire loom to cover the wires from the hole in the firewall down to the frame rail, I think 1 inch inner dia would be about right, anyone know where I can find something like that? Or other suggestions for a period look to cover the wires?

23. 4woody

4woody

http://www.restorationstuff.com has that loom in lots of sizes.

24. Here's a edited post of mine from a different thread:

Check out Posies:http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/posies-catalog/ They have 3" rear lowering springs for your car (page 38). I had stock 75 year old leaf springs w/3" blocks in the rear of my '38 Plymouth Coupe for a couple years....didn't like how the U-bolts were below the rim. I installed Posies rear lowering springs, but it wasn't as low as with the old springs & blocks. I removed a couple leafs & got it down close to where I want it-still may add 1" blocks. The fronts are parallel leafs also (last year for this-even though some earlier cars had IFS) & originally I was going to remove a few leafs but found 1 of the eyes was broken off one end. I had custom leaf springs made & also removed a couple leafs to get it where I wanted up front. I'm running stock 16" wheels & 6.00-16 Firestone Champion Deluxe bias plies. Here are a couple pics as it currently sits (sorry for the bad angles). Good luck.

Check out:http://www.riwire.com/ for cloth wire loom.

BTW.....your car looks great!

<fieldset class="fieldset"> <legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend> [​IMG] [​IMG]
    </fieldset>

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  25. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Right on Deathbound, like you previously had set up, I am currently running 3" blocks on 75 yr old leafs. Also like you, the u-bolts being that far below the scrub line doesn't make me feel very warm and fuzzy inside. Looking at the 3" blocks in the car it just feels (gut feeling) like too much drop block from a physics standpoint...there is a good chance my set up will be changing as well at some point, maybe closer to what you are running.
    And, love your car!

26. I like the stance as is. The front could come down a tiny bit but you definitely don't want it sitting level if you are going for a early custom look. Great looking car. The taller tires will make a huge difference in the look at the front.

27. BUSTEDKNUCKLE

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

What an awesome car.......enjoy

28. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Looking good. What a nice car to start with!! Definitely looks better lowered down.

29. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

I remember when it was for sale and wishing I had the space and "spare change"...sure turned out beautiful. Absolutely love the lines of that car.

30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER