Register now to get rid of these ads!

big guy in a channeled roadster-help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thequietwon, Aug 5, 2013.

1. thequietwon

thequietwon

Guys...
    I have another thread going about a channeled deuce roadster I just bought. If possible, would like to keep it that way. What have you guys done as far as seats, etc to make a channeled car comfortable or at least livable? I am 6'3"...any suggestions?
    Sam

2. tinmann

tinmann

On TLC or the Discovery Channel, I've seen medical shows where they purposely break peoples legs or arms, space out the breaks and allow re-growth. End result is a slow and painful way to extend limbs to bring peoples bodies into proportion. I wonder if they'd do the opposite procedure for you if they knew how important fitting into a channeled deuce was to you.:D;):p

3. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

There is a coupe around here that has a 4" chop and 6" channel. They used 4" thick foam for the seat bottom sitting flat on the floor and a angled board with the same foam for the back. I'm 5'10" and it sits ok for short runs but would suck for a long run. Seems like it is 36" or 38" from the floor to the roof on the inside.

4. bgaro

bgaro

you gotta build one, get your ass on the floor. maybe styled after the original seat. i used the guts from a school bus seat, with a little tuck and roll leather.

5. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Undo the channel job. If it is a Henry body, it will be worth it.

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

in my chopped coupe i use a rear seat from a ford van .it has a metal frame,aset of springs,and foam rubber. its only 4 inches thick and rides real good......................

7. Andy

Andy

I was in the same boat. I drew up a double kick up frame that would mount under the body but still look channelled. I have a very low seat in my stock heigth roadster and it is just bearly right. I hate the look of your shoulders above the back of the seat.

8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Heavy channel and sitting on the 1 inch cushion:D its all about the seat or their lack of it.

Attached Files:

9. I bought a couple of low profile fork truck seats from Northern Tool for my channeled '30 roadster. For around $70 apiece, I got the seat on sliders. The bottom cushion is about 5" off the floor. I'd have to measure to be sure. They work pretty well. The cover is molded black vinyl with foam underneath. Seat can be re-covered. I'm only 5"9" but I've had guys in the pass side that were over 6'4". They are comfy. Better than the formed sheet metal ones I had in it.

10. Un-Channel it! :D HRP

11. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I bought an early 90's Chrysler Town & Country mini van middle seat out of a bone yard and unbolted all the risers and through them away. Speedway sells low profile seat tracks which allows adjustment like a modern car which I bolted to the bottom of the van seat after I welded a 1/4" plate to the bottom of the seat. Not quite as low as a cut down seat but works good for me.
    I am 6'1" and my coupe is channeled 6"

12. broderchamp

broderchamp

This friend of mine solved the problem by using some seats out of a Cessna airplane. They are thin and light. He got them off Ebay.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've seen guy with a thin pad on the floor. They didn't look comfortable, but they looked cool.

14. Fenders

Fenders

Back in the 60's I had a Jag XK-120 roadster -- I am (or was !!) 6'3" -- I had to replace the seat bottom with one I made of plywood and foam to get my head below the top of the windshield.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Do not un-channel it til you've tried modifying the seat.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

This also assumes you're not claustrophobic.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We use stock Model T spring cushion assemblies in our T bucket roadsters. They are relatively thin but keep a 250 lb.'er comfortable over the long haul. Both of the makers of these springs, Car-Line Mfg in Beaumont TX 409-833-9757 and Snyder's Antique Parts in New Springfield OH will make custom sizes of seat springs to your pattern reasonably priced.

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I vaguely remember a thread where the builder used wheelchair gel seat packs...if you think about it, handicap people have to be comfortable for long periods of time...just my .02 cents.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. I made my own from plywood and foam, after trying the Chrysler mini-van seat. This sits right on the floor and I have about 1 & 1/2 inches of headroom on a 29 roadster with a 7 inch high windshield at the center. Unchanneled. It is fairly comfortable for me, I'm 5'10" and 200 pounds. I can drive it about 100 miles before I'm ready for a stretch, but I'm 65 years old!!

Attached Files:

19. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Alright, nobody else said it soooooo------ LEAVE THE ROOF OF------ Gary:D

20. How about a recesed floor pocket to put your feet down in like the 80's corvettes had. You sat down in between the frame rails and the drive shaft which was up under the console. You could recess the floor down the width of the frame (down to the bottom of the frame) and it would not be seen. Even just a 4" pocked in the pedal area angled up to the seating would be so much better than sitting on a flat floor. You might have to reroute the exhaust or use lakes pipes

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Apologies. Couldn't help resist.

22. seat from MGA or Triumph sportcars sit right on the floor and have thin backs

23. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

That works good and it can be made to look good.
    Take a look at some Bonneville roadsters. A lot of them have step pans. Some over a foot deep.
    You would be surprised how much person can be fit in a roadster this way.

Although the surgical method of shortening legs and arms would be pricey it would involve the least mods to the car. While you are under anesthetic, you could also have them "lipo" some fat so you could fit into that race suit you had 20 years ago.....

24. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

One option not mentioned, I am 5' 7" so if you gave it to me your problem would be solved. Just trying to help.

25. Has anyone mentioned Un-Channel it! :D HRP

Posted from the TJJ App for subliminal messages. :eek:

26. F&J

F&J

:mad: we need to talk, son

:D

Posted from the "little books" APP

My brain stopped developing in 1963, so I am stuck with those old build memories, and therefore have no recollection of the 70's builds:confused:

27. jmpowie

jmpowie

Yes you did 2 times. I am 6'3 I just made the cab of my 29 chevy a little longer. You can get some bomber seats that will give you more room.

28. Amazing that some folks here have a hard time understanding humor!:rolleyes:

We are talking about a old hot rod and that's all it is,,survivor yes,heavy channeled yeah,, but it is not significant in the hollowed halls of must be saved at all cost,,

Having had a east coast style Model A I can attest that they are cool to look at but miserable when you send a few hours under the wheel,,I sent it down the road shortly after I purchased it. HRP

29. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

50"s Corvettes had a very thin seat, right on the floor. It can be done.