Register now to get rid of these ads!

tube type tires w/out tubes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 23 bucket-t, Aug 3, 2013.

1. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

I was wondering, a guy at the cruise last night said he was run tube type tires without tube is it " safe" and why would you do that.. I know you would have to check air pressure at least once a week or so, it would seem like a pain in the butt to always have to check the air pressure... "and how safe is it"

2. choppachris

choppachris

I wouldn't do it.

3. guitard

guitard

x2. Sounds like he's been lucky. Not that I'm above questioning what "the man" says, but the man designing my tires just might know more about tires than may make sense to me. Tires, brakes and dosage are three places I'm not gonna revise...

4. Why would anybody?

5. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Best idea? NO, but I've done it.

6. brad chevy

brad chevy

Thats just plain stupid. The sidewalls and entire casing on a tubeless tire are built stronger than tube tires. Hes going to make a hard turn and find out why you don"t do it.

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Sorry there but if you think a tube adds strength to a tire you are saddly wrong. Tubeless tires are designed with a inpremeable to air rubber,old school tube types wer not. Most all modern tube types use the same rubber compounds as tubeless. Also there is a bit of design difference in the bead area. Can a tube tire be run tubeless ? A quaifiyed yes ,depends on that tire. I personally have done it with tires made in the last 10-15 years.

8. I am trying to think of a proper analogy.

It's like using a regular socket in an impact wrench. Will it work?? Yes.
    Could it go bang with disastrous result?? Yes.
    Can you reasonably guarantee which result and at which time??
    NO. And that's the point. It's NOT in the design brief, so it's not to be used that way. So don't.

Cosmo

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Yeah, like condoms right? :D

10. scrubba

scrubba

Man, talk bout an accident waitn ta happin...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scrubba

11. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Sometimes it will work. Can't think of a good reason to do it though.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Where do you get tube type tires? I thought they stopped making them before 1960?

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

As I recall from gas station days in the 50's,...tube type tire beads did not seal to the rims as well as tubeless,....that was to vent air which became trapped between tire and tube, when re mounting.

4TTRUK

14. Dad??

15. mechanic58

mechanic58

Ok guys - think about this - blow up an inner tube and look at it. How much structural rigidity do you reckon it contributes to a tire? NONE. As long as you're using your tube type tires on a tubeless style rim I don't see a problem with it. Now a tube-type rim with any type of tire on it without a tube in it IS asking for trouble. They don't have the rib on the bead to 'lock' the tire in place - tubeless or not.

I think the biggest concern here is the type of rim you're using, not the tire. If you're running old tube type rims, you better have a tube in whatever tire you got on it.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think mechanic58 pretty well nailed it.

My thinking is that With newer rims intended for tubeless tires it may not be a real big issue except that you might walk out in the morning to four flat tires. With older rims intended to be used with tubes the first one might be flat before you get the last one aired up.

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

I run my M/T E/T Streets with no tubes because A:tubes are heavy,and B:tubes cost money.
    I've never had a problem running them this way,but I can't speak for older,more traditional designs with taller profiles,harder rubber compounds,and stiffer sidewalls.

18. Muttley

Muttley

I like to run with scissors, tear the tags off new mattresses and I never wait thirty minutes to swim after eating. Rebel against conventional wisdom.

19. txturbo

txturbo

I wouldn't try it either way.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. How 'bout on spoked wheels?....................Makes as much sense. All bias ply reproduction 16" and bigger have tubes.

21. cooger

cooger

I have a tractor w/ tube tires that go flat constantly. My tractor tire guy does this all the time, just pulls the tube, replaces the stem, and uses Berryman Sealer in the tire to seal the rim and mesquite punctures.
    BUT, I wouldn't put it on the road at 80! Maybe at 10 which is top speed.
    cooger

22. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

The rims are an important part of this discussion. The old wheels designed for inner tubes may not have the same bead edge. The dangerous part is when you go around a corner. The sidewall can peel loose from the rim. Without a tube inside to hold the tire's shape, the tire looses all air, comes off the rim, and may be enough to let your car roll over on that turn. It has happened.